“Wonderful Holiday, Wonderful City” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
BEST WESTERN Hotel Kinsky Garden
Ranked #159 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Plymouth, Uk
“Wonderful Holiday, Wonderful City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2009

I enjoyed my stay in Prague very much, and there is little doubt the city is absolutely beautiful. The hotel was very clean, and I thought the service was efficient. There was a friendly member of staff who guided us to our rooms, and he always smiled at us when we left the hotel. The rest of the staff warmed to us as well- do not forget, that this is a different culture, and that appearences can be decieving. If you, as a tourist, make the effort to say good evening and good morning to the staff, you will find them considerably warmer to you. Also, to me at least, the hotel seemed quite quiet- though this may be because we were away from the main road in our room location. Nevertheless, it was a quiet hotel in terms of other guests moving about etc.

We didn't always eat breakfast in the hotel, but it was basic and tasty when we did. The room was spacious and cosy, and the bathroom was brilliant, with a nice shower. Around the corner from the hotel (as you get to the bottom of the street and turn right) there is a conveniant little tesco store that offers very cheap bakery items.

The walk to Charles Bridge is about twenty minutes, and is also a very pretty walk if you walk by the river, going past other bridges and some delightful gardens. We walked everywhere we could; to the castle, to the new and old towns etc. This enabled us to see Prauge in all its beautiful majesty. If you are not up for walking, there is a regular tram service.

Occasionally, restaurants will try to rip you off, however even when they do so, you end up paying less than what you would in the UK. A restaurant I would recommend is the KoKovna, which is near the old town square, as the food is traditional Czech and very cheap. A 1 litre bear costs just over 2 pound there as well!

Overall, this was a wonderful holiday, in a wonderful location- I shall definately recommend this to anyone, and will be back here myself as soon as I can.

1 Thank Stanthombre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

We booked ourselves into the Kinsky Garden for a couple of nights to attend a wedding in Prague. As a simple, comfortable, functional place to stay, we could not fault it for the price. It was clean, nice new wood floors in the rooms, quiet, the bed was very comfortable and firm, AC in the rooms, LCD TV (although rather too many German channels, only the dreadful CNN and BBC World in English) and the shower was hot with excellent pressure. Croissants at breakfast and decent coffee.

At the end of our stay, the reception staff were happy to store our case for the rest of the day whilst we got some sightseeing in before our flight and then booked us a taxi to the airport. Would definitely stay again on returning to Prague.

Minor gripes:
- The glasses provided in the room were ludicrously small, especially if you need to rehydrate after a long night! (when I open a hotel in my next life I will be providing good old pint glasses).
- Location: A bit off the beaten track, requiring a good 20 minute walk across the river to the old town area. However, this probably contributed to the quietness and the price of the hotel, a compromise I was happy to make.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tomtheguvnor
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

Stayed here at the beginning of August whilst in Prague to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

Have to say that it has a really convenient location only a short walk from the 'action' and with Kinsky Gardens right outside. So, from that point of view, very good.

However, the provision in the hotel given that it is apparently a 4* was disappointing - no tea/coffee facilities in room, very basic room accommodation generally, incredibly limited TV channel choice. Reception, although pretty efficient was not particularly friendly and the staff approach generally was a bit disappointing. Also, pretty noisy at night with people coming and going within the hotel.

Breakfast was adequate as opposed to exceptional with no variety to speak of.

All in all I have to say that this hotel did not live up to our expectations. I would recommend it for those wanting a good location in Prague with the intention to spend little time at the hotel. If you are however expecting true 4* - you are likely to be disappointed.

Winter Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

I traveled to Prague in May and stayed at this Best Western for 3 nights. The hotel is a thirty minute walk away from the Charles Bridge and most tourist attractions. If you travel with small kids it would be too far to walk, however there is a tram down the street but the time of my visit is was under construction.
The hotel staff is helpful but like most Europeans they have their own "charming" way. (Being German myself I know what I am talking about. Don't be offended by their straight forward demeanor...it's partly the language barrier). I truly enjoyed my stay. The rooms are contemporary, clean and spacious. The breakfast was good. They had enough of everything. If you expect a fancy buffet, this is not the hotel for you. Parking is limited. Prague's streets have the reputation for not being too safe especially if you drive a BMW or Merceded etc. The hotel offers "secure" parking up the hill behind a school for 10EUR a day but it's very secluded with limited lighting....kinda creepy...so if you rely on good parking....you might want to consider a different hotel or be prepared to find a parking garage. I would truly recommend this hotel. :-) The city itself is great. Very charming!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2009

I booked this hotel by mistake due to a misprint in the brochure, however I was very pleased with the result in the end.

Yes the road was busy and noisy (we live in a village, so a city would seem noisy.). The location was perfect. A 15 minute walk to the Charles Bridge and a futher few minutes to the 'other side'. During the day this was just what we wanted.

After a couple of hours snooze in the afternoon, we were happy to stay close to the hotel. We saved a lot of money doing so. Why be ripped off paying 100 CZK + for a large beer, when you could pay as little as 40 CZK in a non-tourist bar/restaurant. If you find a bar or restaurant away from the tourist haunts you will as in any city save a fortune. If you don't want to walk to the main tourist haunts, the trams are frequent and cheap.

Oh and contrary to what the travel agent HettieLondon says, the staff were friendly and spoke very good English. It really annoys me that British travellers think everyone should speak perfect English, because WE are too lazy to learn another language. I speak only a few words of Czech (and only because I studied O-level Russian at school), I had no problem being understood.

The breakfast spread was varied. Bread, pastries, cereals, fruit, cold meats and cheese as well as eggs, bacon and sausage, fruit , juice, coffee and tea. Please explain the comment about this only being adequate? It certainly set me up for the day.

Finally, for all those tourists who expect Europe to offer them a taste of home, you will find Tesco, M & S, C & A, Next, to name but a few.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JKavanagh2013
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

Very good location, comfortable hotel, quiet as far from traffic but still easy access to city center (10 mins walk - or 15 if you walk slowly :) Pleasant surroundings - our room faced Kinsky Garden. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean, staff friendly so I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Prague.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

I went to Prague by myself for three days an stayed at the Best Western Kinsky Garden. It is located in a quiet neighborhood and it is not at all far from everything if you are not looking to stay downtown. You can take the hotel taxi to go to oldtown, or walk to the metro station Andel, about 5 blocks, or take tram number 20.
The room was clean and it has a safe. I used it because I didn't want to bring my purse and documents with me.
The roomservice is fast and the food at the restaurant is very good.
The breakfast is excellent! It has a variety of things to choose and it's all fresh and included in the room rate.
There is a bar at the hotel, nice and quiet. Also a computer we can use the internet, but the connection is a little slow.
Overall I enjoyed my stay. I want to point out that the staff, from maids to reception desk clerk, were extremely helpful and friendly. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my stay and that made my trip that much better.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo