“Charming Boutique Hotel”
Review of Hotel Julian

Hotel Julian
Ranked #24 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The hotel is located an easy 10 minute walk from the Prague Castle. I researched hotels in Prague before booking and balanced the positive results with the prices and Julian stood out. It is much smaller than anticipated but this adds to part of its charm. It is quite peculiar in decor, very traditional but without feeling stuffy or stale. What really elevates this hotel are the little touches. For example, there is a seating area in reception decorated with intriguing antiques but there is a fresh jug of water with lemon and cakes you can take for free. Or, the fact that when we arrived to our room after a day in the City, we had a "Happy Easter" note with a couple of chocolate bunnies in our room. Or, the fact that the day after returning from London I had an email from the hotel extending thanks for my visit and best wishes that my visit to Prague was a happy and memorable experience. The only real downside for me was that the rooms were quite basic, but having said that, perfectly comfortable and clean and with free "on-demand" movies which usually cost a bomb at other hotels. Wifi access was easy and staff were pleasant and attentive. We tried the hotel restaurant once for dinner and although tiny (again, part of the charm) our waitresses was lovely, happy to recommend dishes without being pushy. I wouldn't recommend this for people who like staying in big, lavish, bustling hotels. This one is small and quiet, but with excellent and attentive customer service.

Room Tip: We were in room 103 and didn't experience any of the noise problems in the previous review but t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay at our hotel during the Easter holiday. I am very enthused by your nice review, thank you! It was our pleasure to make your stay comfortable and make you happy!

We hope we will see you soon again!:-)

Enjoy the spring time, Radka Římalová

Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Overall, a good stay. In keeping with traditional Czech culture the service is perfunctory and somewhat brusque. There's definitely no charm offensive. The rooms were clean, although we were visited by two small insects: one silverfish and one small flat beetle.(Perhaps a literary nod to Kafka?) In keeping with most of Europe - at least in certain classes of hotels - the shower curtain has been abandoned in favour of the "lets soak the whole bathroom" attittude. I would love to put an end to this - I mean you can buy a shower curtain at IKEA for 5 Euros... The breakfast was very good - during peak periods the staff worked tirelessly to keep the levels topped up. There was a good selection and the staff were pleasant. It was too cold in late March/early April for us to eat or dine on the terrace of the hotel. Smoking is permitted in most areas of the hotel, although the small breakfast room is smoke free. Those who smoke with breakfast may eat in the library, which is a pleasant though kitschy nod to more traditional times. I would not hesitate to stay here again, though I would ask for a room at the back of the hotel. We were street side... in my entire lifetime of travel, regrettably in this instance, I have never experienced a noisier hotel. The buildings conspire to create a perfect sound canyon which penetrates streetside rooms unpleasantly. Overall, an average visit, with some good points and some bad points.

Room Tip: As previously stated - the back side of the hotel, not street side.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank windsandandstars
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear guests,

first of all I would like to thank for your stay with us. I do appreciate your review, although, there are not only good points but also bad points..We always try to do our best to make all stays of our guests comfortable. If you had a reservation for a double room and were accommodated in a room facing to the street, you had probably free upgrade to the triple room to provide you better comfort. Although, if you are not anytime satisfied with the room, for example because of noise as you write, just tell us about that, It would be our pleasure to move you to another room immediately. So that is a pity we did not know about that and were not able to provide you more comfort..Anyway, almost all double rooms facing to the yard have a shower enclosure with glass door:-).When it comes to the small silver fish, it is an insect dependent on the weather and it can creep from pipes, as you know for example from home. I am sorry about that! As an obligation we have regular hygienic inspection and there was never any indication of insect, I can assure you that we cannot ever dare such case. Although, I am really glad, you were satisfied with our breakfast and that you would come again. You are always welcome here!
Enjoy the spring time, connected with lot of traveling, I hope:-)
Radka Římalová, hotel Julian management

Reviewed March 28, 2012

For me and my girlfriend, this Hotel was a very pleasant experience. Although the rooms are not quite spectacular, the bed is huge and extremely comfortable, the breakfast is lovely, as well as the breakfast room. The terrace has such an intimate feel and it's great for having your morning coffee there. That is actually the place where i proposed to my future wife :), it was the most beautiful, cozy place. I would definitely go there again, the staff is super-friendly and the location is excellent.

Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrei L
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Guests, first of all me and all the hotel staff would like to congratulate to your engagement and wish you all the best for the future!:-)

I am happy you had a nice stay here, thank you for your review and hope we will see you again!

I wish you happy Easter!

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed at the HJ for a long weekend. Great location, good restaurant, lovely hotel, staff very friendly and a great breakfast!.

Tram lines 5 minutes away, get yourself a 3 day pass @ 310 CzK (£11.50) which is cheap travel. Validate your ticket in the machine upon entry as we had tickets checked by plain clothes inspector. Travel Tip - If visiting the St Petrus Cathedral / Palace stay on the 22 tram until Prazsky Hrad stop as this save you a lot of walking!

Hotel restaurant very good with reasonably priced food. Breakfast was the best meal as the choice was excellent and you couldn't leave there hungry.

Several good restaurants nearby, try the Artisan for a la carte (had a fab meal there) or the Olympic which is bit more mainstream and noisy but good nevertheless. Lots of bakeries around the city which do good Coffee and lovely cakes and all have free Wi Fi (Paneria Chain).

Final thing - Take comfy shoes as you will walk a lot!.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ninja365
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us. Thank you for your nice words about our hotel and restaurant, I do appreciate that! Your review is very helpful for other travelers, thank you for that as well! We hope we will see you soon again, together with new shoes and ready for walking:-)

Enjoy the spring time!

Reviewed March 17, 2012

While reviewing our choices of where to stay during our Prague holiday, my wife kept coming back to this hotel as her first choice. After spending three nights here, she was right to have me choose Hotel Julian. The service we have received has been remarkable from the airport transfer, check-in, to check-out.

The location is in a quieter area, so if walking a bit to get to the normal attractions, this is a great choice for you. The lobby of the hotel is very classy and makes you feel like you have taken a trip back in time. The deck off the 5th floor offers great views of Prague Castle. The bar and restaurant in the basement was nice, just beware of the Absinth (not a fan of it).

The only things I would change are typical of most hotels in Europe. The bed was very "springy" and hurt my back, the shower is open so water goes everywhere, and the walls are thin so you can hear the person next door going to the bathroom.

All in all, we enjoyed our visit and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Dear guests,

thank you very much for your review. We are glad that our hotel was a good choice for you and that our services or lobby were remarkable for you. I appreciate that!

I am sorry about your comments to all Europe hotels. I would like to recommend you to ask for a room with shower (not a bath) that has door around while making your next reservation.

When it comes to the Absinth, you are right that it is not a fun, it is not an alcohol to be drunk whole evening, but it worth tasting that:-)

Enjoy the spring time.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

We are always lucky with Rick Steve's recommendations so we chose this hotel for our New Years holiday vacation. We were not disappointed! Our 2 rooms were beautifully decorated, the breakfast room was clean and well stocked and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was also much more conveniently located than it appears on the map - we walked everywhere. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyCamper_12335
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear guests,

thank you very much that you followed the Rick Steve´s recommendation and what more, you enjoyed your New Years holiday, thank you for your review, we do appreciate!

We hope we will see you here again!

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We loved staying at Hotel Julian. Price for our room (3rd floor, king-size bed, refrigerator and safe) was reasonable and we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet spread. Everything was fresh and delicious. The hotel's service was great. Lucie took care of us right away. We purchased our 24-hour tram tickets immediately at the hotel and within minutes of checking in, we were out the door and on a city train ready to explore. The next day, we walked to Charles Bridge, it was only about 15 minutes away. Oh and no problem with Wi-Fi at all at the hotel, I was able to Facebook our photos of Prague the very first night.

Note: We called ahead of time to reserve secure parking and the hotel emailed us back confirming parking reservations. If you are driving I recommend calling or emailing ahead of time and letting them know that you're driving in.

Room Tip: Third floor room toward the back of the hotel had great Wi-Fi reception and we could just open our w...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your stay at our hotel and nice review on Tripadvisor.com. I am delighted you loved your stay with us and our services made your stay comfortable!Btw. you can send us any photos on Facebook as well, we would appreciate that:-)

We hope we will see you here again!