“Pleasant stay at busy Hilton”

Ranked #132 of 670 Hotels in Prague
London, England
“Pleasant stay at busy Hilton”
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for three nights from 11th August. It was much busier than any other Hilton we have stayed in. The other guests seemed mainly also to be holidaymakers. Our standard room was on the sixth floor and overlooked the river Vltava. The room had recently been refurbished. We were happy with it.

Our stay included breakfast. It was buffet style. There was a wide selection of good quality food. It was well managed despite the breakfast area being very busy.

The gym was well equipped. The indoor pool was usually busy. People sometimes waited their turn for the small whirlpool. The sauna and steam room were both unisex. The sauna had a notice on its door stating that bathing costumes must not be worn. (The steam room had no such notice.) Unsurprisingly, this notice was widely ignored.

For our three night stay, we found the distance from the hotel to the town acceptable. The hotel is about a five minute walk to Florenc metro station. The journey, to and from the airport via metro costs 20 CZK (about 1 Euro!)

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Busyness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holidaymaker_66
Alexandra_Jakubova, Senior Duty Manager at Hilton Prague Old Town, responded to this review, August 21, 2007
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Prague with us and the others on TripAdvisor. com.

It was indeed a pleasure for us to note that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Prague and especially that you remained highly satisfied with the facilities and servise provided by our team members.

I would like, once again, to thank you for your valuable patronage and look forward of welcoming you back at the Hilton Prague on your next trip to Czech Republic.

Sincerely Yours, Alexandra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
cheshire
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the Hilton in Prague.
The Hotel is huge and quite impersonal, didnt feel any real warmth about the place at all
Reception is a little frosty; found the guy who checked us in quite frosty and basically 'not bothered'! Didnt offer any welcoming comments and did the whole process as though it was a chore!
We stayed in a standard guest room, which was a little tired and shabby. Cobwebs in the windows and in the corners of the room. Stains on the valance around the bed. Marks on the walls. The rooms are ok but have had a better standard in 3/4 star hotels in other places. The bathrooms are cramped and still have those awful shower curtains that just get in the way. Also the showers were dated and not easy to use. Also the toilet is next door to the bathroom and this can be irritating to say the least. We thought about upgrading but decided against it in case the rooms were of the same standard as the guest rooms, so thought it wouldnt be worth the extra money. We just used it as a base and explored the city.
On a plus point the breakfasts are amaxong and the staff who work in there are helpful and efficient, we didnt have one bad experience. Also the staff in the Zest bar are also really effiicient and helpful (the bar is very expensive)
The walk into town from the hotel is a nice stroll
HIlton ok if using as a base but its probably an idea to get just as good accommodation nearer to the town and will prbabloy be cheaper too.

• Liked — Breakfast service
  • Disliked — impersonal and a little shabby
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Prague during your recent visit of Czech Republic and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.

I was very sorry to learn that the Hilton Prague did not live your expectations. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with the responsible department heads to improve on the points you have outlined in your comments.

Regarding the old-fashined rooms, please be informed that the hotel rooms are going through the renovation at the moment as we continuously improving our services and facilites to bring it to a higher level of comfort and overall guest experience. Renovation will be made to all 788 guestrooms and suites and is scheduled to be completed by 2008.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you under our roof again and prove to you that we can indeed do better.

Kind Regards, Alexandra
New York City
Reviewed August 13, 2007

This is a fantastic hotel. The service and ammentities are first rate. The hotel is outside of the main center, but the walk gives you the opportunity to see the city. I had no issues with the walking. It takes approximately 10 minutes to arrive on foot to the Powder Gate. I would have liked to see restaurants/cafes in the hotel vicinity. That would be my one complaint. Other than that the hotel is worth staying in. The breakfast is great and the gym is stocked with lots of cardio and weight machines.

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stayed at the hotel for a conference in May. Sadly I can't comment on the location of the hotel as it was a business trip and I saw little beyond the boardroom.
Rooms are spacious. Decor is somewhat on the tired side but it had the necessities such as tea and coffee making facilities, clean bathroom and an enormous bed (far too huge for one person but extremely comfortable). The bathroom annoyingly has a separate toilet which is rather old fashioned and meant I twice got lost in the night on my search for the loo!
Room service was delicious - fresh ingredients, prompt service and options to cater for every diet. It certainly goes beyond the norm and was more like restaurant standards (I had the linguine). The room overlooked the central lobby which was great for people watching.
Breakfast also excellent as to be expected from the Hilton brand. I was rather surprised at how impersonal the hotel felt as it is truly enormous and perhaps would have felt a little too impersonal had I been there on a personal holiday. The hotel foyer had the feel of an airport terminal.
The conference facilities were fine although finding someone that spoke English was a challenge and frustrating for running a conference. Conference catering was superb however and there was lots of food for the delegates.
My only quibble with the hotel - no proper air conditioning. It was 35 degrees when I went and we were sweltering despite asking numerous people to turn it up. For the long days on site we were exhausted as the temperature was unbearable. A number of guest complained.
Would I stay there again? For work it was fine. For a holiday with my fiance I would prefer somewhere a little more personal and with ambiance.

• Liked — served a purpose, enormous bed
  • Disliked — lack of AC, impersonal
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2007

We spent 4 nights at the Hilton Prague in mid July. For such a massive hotel you might assume it would be impersonal and functional - that's not the case... It's a very friendly and welcoming place, with some of the most pleasant staff and a service culture that's becoming very rare in Europe.

We arrived after a rip off taxi ride from the train station (should have known better) and I was ready for an argument but was quickly subdued by the warm welcome at reception.
We had an executive room on the 7th floor with a (slightly underwhelming) view across the river. The room itself was a good size, very clean and comfortable, and well decorated with some nice touches in the furnishings. With the executive room comes access to the executive lounge which had been temporarily relocated to the mezzanine floor. As mentioned in other reviews this is a great facility with a complimentary continental breakfast (some hot dishes available), free drinks (soft or otherwise), snacks, magazines, newspapers, and TV. There were also 3 PCs available with free internet access and hooked up to a printer in the lounge. I was using the PC one night as the lounge was about to close (11pm) and they offered to make the business centre available to me should I need it. I declined but was very impressed with this.

Also on the mezzanine floor is the Café Bistro which is open 24 hours a day. Personally, I'd stick with the Hilton classics from this menu, or better again, if it's dinner time, head downstairs to the CzecHouse Grill. This blew me away! I went in expecting a typical hotel restaurant and instead had a meal that surpassed quite a few 'fine dining' establishments that I've eaten in. The food was very good, cooked perfectly, and the staff were absolutely fantastic: friendly, not fussy! To top it off, the prices were not much different from the Café Bistro upstairs. Even if you don't stay here (but you should) I'd recommend coming out here for a meal. It was quiet on the night we were there but it still managed to have a nice ambience.

The health centre looked impressive, with good opening hours but I was much more interested in the casino on the lower ground floor. This was a fairly smoky atmosphere (having gotten used to the smoking ban here in Ireland, this was strange but not uncomfortable) with a selection of table games and slot/video poker machines. Table limits started very low (100Kc - about €3.50/$5). The slots/video poker were strange (to me) in that there is no way to cash out directly. You have to call an attendant who will write you a ticket for the credits remaining on the machine. There's also a bar, and a free buffet from 9pm each evening.

The hotel is slightly further out of the old town than some other options but it is only a 8-10 minute stroll to the Powder Gate (the entrance to the old town) and if you're going further afield the Florenc metro station is only about 2 minutes from the hotel. There are also hotel cars available outside the door which are a fixed price depending on which area you are going to (there's a map with areas and corresponding fares marked on it) and are a much better bet than the rip-off taxis outside the train station. There were some people who didn't seem to leave the hotel and while that would be a waste of a holiday for me it would be easy to do with the range of amenities available here.

• Liked — The range of facilities
  • Disliked — Eh, the long walk from the elevator to the room...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hitower01
Alexandra_Jakubova, Senior Duty Manager at Hilton Prague Old Town, responded to this review, August 13, 2007
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Prague for your recent stay at Czech Republic and for your time you spared to share your feedback with us and the others on TripAdvisor.com.

It was indeed a pleasure for us to note that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and especially that you remained highly satisfied with the facilities and service provided by our Team members.

Kind Regards,

Alexandra
sydney
Reviewed August 5, 2007

The hotel is lovely. Looks great, and is in a good walkable location to all the attractions. my wife and child were booked in along with my in-laws. At the reception we were told we cannot have rooms beside each other,(we booked together, so we could have assistance with our child) we asked why not, and all we received was a "we don't know", and "at least you are both in the same hotel". Very, very rude person!!! We were in complete shock at her response!!!!! I felt like making a complaint about her instantly. She even said to us before we gave her our details that she wasn't having a good day! . The service in all the other restaurants was great!! The morning buffet was very good also. We did find the pool was not warm enough. A lot of the other guests we met seemed to agree with this. A real pity about the reception, the valets outside were really friendly and gave us good directions and advice .

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — receptionist
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank nortonsydney
Alexandra_Jakubova, Senior Duty Manager at Hilton Prague Old Town, responded to this review, August 10, 2007
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Prague during your recent visit of Czech Republic and for taking your time to share your feedback with us and the others on TripAdvisor.com.

I was very sorry to learn that the Hilton Prague did not live up your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology for the behaviour of the reception staff you experienced upon check in. Would you be so kind and contact me on alexandra.jakubova@hilton.com and provide me with more details? Let me assure you that your comments will not remain unheeded and will be passed on to the respective Head of department for corrective action.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you under our roof again and prove you that we can indeed do better.

Kind Regards,

Alexandra
London, England
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Wow - that was our first comment when walking into the enormous atrium in the centre of this shiny hotel on the outskirts of Prague. Glass lifts ascend inside the atrium which contains a large lounge area and the dining room.

The bedroom was just as luxurious, even down to the towels folded up into swans on the bed, and the complimentary bottle of bubbly. The mini bar was well equipped, and there were plenty of towels, bath robes and even slippers. We had a lovely view from our external window - not sure whether I would have liked having a window onto the atrium as some of the rooms do as then you wouldn't have a clue what the weather was like! Unlike many European hotels, there were tea and coffee making facilities as well.

Breakfast was fantastic - I can't think of anything that anyone would want to eat or drink that wasn't provided.

While the location isn't in the height of the tourist district, it's a very short tram ride from Wenceslas Square, and a tube station (which we didn't use as we wanted to see Prague!).

We couldn't believe our luck at getting rooms like this as part of a cheap weekend package in Prague. We'll certainly try and book into a Hilton whenever possible in future.

• Liked — Sheer sense of luxury about everything
  • Disliked — Having to ask three times for tea with breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple