“Pleasant Stay”

Vienna House Diplomat Prague
Ranked #190 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a plesant stay at this hotel. My partner and I stayed for three nights at the begining of October 2012. We reserved a superior room but they had run out so they upgraded us to a suite instead. It is a bit dated but it was very clean and the staff was very helpful. The food in the CD Restaurant was very nice, and catered for me as a veggie very well. The buffet breakfasts were fantastic!! It was really close to the metro, trams and the airport bus stops in front of the hotel. The website says you can get a room with a view of the castle but we didn't have that. Overall a plesant stay.

1  Thank cathyfifi

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel 5 nights on December 2011-January 2012, i.e New Year's eve, as part of our family travel to Eastern Europe countries.
We rented private car from airport, and didn't take long to arrive at the hotel.
The building is not new, neither the furniture and decoration, but it seems working properly.
Check-in process is good. Staff offered new year dinner at their restaurant, that we took and have done it well.
With 2 teenager girls and a 2 years-old boy, we booked 2 connected rooms. Apparently they have upgraded us to a suite, which means there's a large living room -with comfy sofa & big tv- connecting our rooms, so more than enough spaces for our children. There's no sense of luxury in the rooms, but again, everything works properly.
On the other hand, I don't think this is a family friendly hotel, no kids activity, neither special attention to the young ones.
There's a tram line in front of hotel, so transportation is not a problem. We also explore the area, and found Maserati showroom next to the hotel and a nice restaurant serving good steak.
Breakfast is ok, enough variety, well cooked, but not tasty. Full of clients in a large room, but still manageable.
We also tried hotel facilities, jacuzzi and fitness centre, -both paying- and found they're ok.

We don't stay much in the hotel and passed most of our time exploring Prague, -which is beautiful, similar to Paris, at half of Paris' cost-.

Having said that, the room rate in Diplomat hotel is not expensive at the standard of an "international/european" capital. But after 5 days exploring Prague, we found it is not cheap either for Prague standard, especially for the average result that we got.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank rennes_france
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Diplomat Hotel was obviously built during Soviet times. The lobby is pleasant but the rooms are exceedingly tiny. There were no luggage racks for two large suitcases so navigating a small room was very difficult. When we had to pay $10.00 for the use of a bottle of water to brush ones teeth it created a more negative image.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
3  Thank PVWest
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two days as part of a groupon offer. The staff were very friendly and helpful both at reception and in the resturant and bar. The room was clean and a good size. We had a meal on the first night and although it was a set menu as it was part of the groupon offer we really enjoyed everypart of the meal (especially the potato cake). The breakfast was also nice with everything from fruit and pastry to a fryup meal. The only one problem i would say was the position of the hotel was not as central as i had expected but the tube is right next door and the trains come about every 5 minutes without fail. You can also easily get in taxis if you wish to. Overall standard excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jesstravelling1989
Reviewed October 27, 2012

After stopping at this hotel for 5 day on business I found it a nice , clean and friendly place to stay.
I was very disappointed that wifi was not available in the rooms and was really limited to the lobby area for signal, also when the cleaners attend to the rooms they put a bottle of water on the table making you think like most other hotels that this is complimentary when in fact when you come to check out they charge you 185ckz for it (per bottle) which at current ex rate is £5.86 Uk pounds. Also the hotel bar is 4 times more expensive than local bars.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here as part of the groupon deal for 4 nights in October 2012. First of all when we arrived at the hotel to check in we were told there was a refundable deposit of 1000czk to be paid incase we incurred any charges within our room! I was not very pleased about this as we were never told this at the time of booking or upon confirmation. The room we got given was a superior room it was clean and the beds were very comfortable the only problem was we could only open one of our windows as the handle was missing on the other window. I had booked our 3 course meal for the last night of our stay and I wish I hadnt bothered you DO NOT get given a choice of what you can eat and I was very dissapointed with the quality of food that we did not hang about for dessert. All in all the hotel is clean, beds comoforable and most of the staff are friendly and helpful. The metro is close by and it only takes 10 minutes to get to the city centre. I would visit prague again but would not stay at the Diplomat.

1  Thank 360rebecca360
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is very obvious when you catch the 119 bus from the airport. It towers beside a similarly imposing office block, and looks every bit the part of a modern 4 star hotel. Inside that image continues, and once you get through the slightly lacklustre staff at check-in (efficient? yes. friendly? not really), your room will continue to satisfy. While a little shabby on the bedspread and carpet, it was generally clean, well-maintained and had almost everything a business traveller needed. A few minor points came up, with one being that the hangers used in the closet cannot be removed, and deprive a business traveller of the option of hanging a suit or a shirt in the bathroom to gently remove wrinkles, but that can be forgiven.

The hotel also features restaurants and a bar, and as it happened my business trip included a meal in the CD Club signature restaurant. The food was generally acceptable, though naturally quite expensive by Prague standards. The one thing I would say is that the steak, when served, was rather cruelly overcooked. Another business traveller later remarked that he could have used his for shoe leather. A bit overstated, perhaps, but certainly within the ballpark. You can get better food outside at nearby restaurants, and the prices are far more competitive. I had an excellent wild boar within 10 minutes walk for around 200 CZK.

The sum of my impressions regarding this hotel were that it was generally OK from a physical point of view (location, room and general condition), but that there were some issues with the staff. A critical example was that the elevator broke down and I was trapped inside with another business traveller for over 10 minutes. We had to call reception from the emergency button twice, and when we were freed (after they called back a third time to double-check what floor the elevator stopped on), the only gentleman present was a service engineer who did not have enough English to even explain where the stairs were. There was no apology from staff and no one even bothered to take our names.

After completing most of my business in Prague I took some time to write a formal letter of complaint to the manager, and I also spoke with the supervisor present about the elevator incident. The initial response from the supervisor was that she had not realised that we were trapped in the elevator for any period of time. As I said then, and I am recording now, when you have guests trapped in an elevator you should have staff present to apologise and ensure the guests are safe regardless of time passed. It is mystifying that it would even occur to any of the people working at the hotel that this should not be the case, and it reflects badly on the level of training and supervision provided by Vienna International, the operating company.

I should finish by pointing out that the hotel asked if they could compensate me with a complementary dinner or such forth, and I refused. I wanted them to reflect on the incident and the failings in their service. Later the supervisor did send a bottle of wine and a letter of apology to my room, and on check out she apologised again and explained that everyone felt terrible about what had happened. Perhaps they will reflect. Perhaps they will improve. But I look towards the aforementioned lacklustre reception service, and I wonder if the severe problems at the extremes are rooted in more mundane issues in the everyday.

You could and should receive better service when at a hotel, especially a 4 staff hotel. I suggest looking elsewhere for your business travel in Prague.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Diplomat011, General Manager at Vienna House Diplomat Prague, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at the Diplomat Hotel Prague. All comments we receive are taken extremely seriously, your feedback helps us to continuously improve our service. I was most concerned to learn about the incident with the elevator during your stay and would like to ensure you that all your comments will be discussed with a management team of the hotel and all necessary steps for improvement will be taken. I apologise sincerely for the problems you encountered and thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Your valuable feedback has allowed us to review our operation objectively.

Kindly accept our apologies for not delivering the perfect service on this occasion. We assure you our utmost attention during your next visit to the hotel. I want to thank you once again for having chosen our hotel for your stay in Prague and would be happy to welcome you back in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,