“Not bad but not brilliant..”

Vienna House Diplomat Prague
Ranked #199 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Not bad but not brilliant..”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

After stopping at this hotel for 5 day on business I found it a nice , clean and friendly place to stay.
I was very disappointed that wifi was not available in the rooms and was really limited to the lobby area for signal, also when the cleaners attend to the rooms they put a bottle of water on the table making you think like most other hotels that this is complimentary when in fact when you come to check out they charge you 185ckz for it (per bottle) which at current ex rate is £5.86 Uk pounds. Also the hotel bar is 4 times more expensive than local bars.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here as part of the groupon deal for 4 nights in October 2012. First of all when we arrived at the hotel to check in we were told there was a refundable deposit of 1000czk to be paid incase we incurred any charges within our room! I was not very pleased about this as we were never told this at the time of booking or upon confirmation. The room we got given was a superior room it was clean and the beds were very comfortable the only problem was we could only open one of our windows as the handle was missing on the other window. I had booked our 3 course meal for the last night of our stay and I wish I hadnt bothered you DO NOT get given a choice of what you can eat and I was very dissapointed with the quality of food that we did not hang about for dessert. All in all the hotel is clean, beds comoforable and most of the staff are friendly and helpful. The metro is close by and it only takes 10 minutes to get to the city centre. I would visit prague again but would not stay at the Diplomat.

1 Thank 360rebecca360
Takamatsu, Japan
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is very obvious when you catch the 119 bus from the airport. It towers beside a similarly imposing office block, and looks every bit the part of a modern 4 star hotel. Inside that image continues, and once you get through the slightly lacklustre staff at check-in (efficient? yes. friendly? not really), your room will continue to satisfy. While a little shabby on the bedspread and carpet, it was generally clean, well-maintained and had almost everything a business traveller needed. A few minor points came up, with one being that the hangers used in the closet cannot be removed, and deprive a business traveller of the option of hanging a suit or a shirt in the bathroom to gently remove wrinkles, but that can be forgiven.

The hotel also features restaurants and a bar, and as it happened my business trip included a meal in the CD Club signature restaurant. The food was generally acceptable, though naturally quite expensive by Prague standards. The one thing I would say is that the steak, when served, was rather cruelly overcooked. Another business traveller later remarked that he could have used his for shoe leather. A bit overstated, perhaps, but certainly within the ballpark. You can get better food outside at nearby restaurants, and the prices are far more competitive. I had an excellent wild boar within 10 minutes walk for around 200 CZK.

The sum of my impressions regarding this hotel were that it was generally OK from a physical point of view (location, room and general condition), but that there were some issues with the staff. A critical example was that the elevator broke down and I was trapped inside with another business traveller for over 10 minutes. We had to call reception from the emergency button twice, and when we were freed (after they called back a third time to double-check what floor the elevator stopped on), the only gentleman present was a service engineer who did not have enough English to even explain where the stairs were. There was no apology from staff and no one even bothered to take our names.

After completing most of my business in Prague I took some time to write a formal letter of complaint to the manager, and I also spoke with the supervisor present about the elevator incident. The initial response from the supervisor was that she had not realised that we were trapped in the elevator for any period of time. As I said then, and I am recording now, when you have guests trapped in an elevator you should have staff present to apologise and ensure the guests are safe regardless of time passed. It is mystifying that it would even occur to any of the people working at the hotel that this should not be the case, and it reflects badly on the level of training and supervision provided by Vienna International, the operating company.

I should finish by pointing out that the hotel asked if they could compensate me with a complementary dinner or such forth, and I refused. I wanted them to reflect on the incident and the failings in their service. Later the supervisor did send a bottle of wine and a letter of apology to my room, and on check out she apologised again and explained that everyone felt terrible about what had happened. Perhaps they will reflect. Perhaps they will improve. But I look towards the aforementioned lacklustre reception service, and I wonder if the severe problems at the extremes are rooted in more mundane issues in the everyday.

You could and should receive better service when at a hotel, especially a 4 staff hotel. I suggest looking elsewhere for your business travel in Prague.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Diplomat011, General Manager at Vienna House Diplomat Prague, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at the Diplomat Hotel Prague. All comments we receive are taken extremely seriously, your feedback helps us to continuously improve our service. I was most concerned to learn about the incident with the elevator during your stay and would like to ensure you that all your comments will be discussed with a management team of the hotel and all necessary steps for improvement will be taken. I apologise sincerely for the problems you encountered and thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Your valuable feedback has allowed us to review our operation objectively.

Kindly accept our apologies for not delivering the perfect service on this occasion. We assure you our utmost attention during your next visit to the hotel. I want to thank you once again for having chosen our hotel for your stay in Prague and would be happy to welcome you back in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Mathieu Rouri
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Good quality 4 star hotel convenient for visit to Prague. Being so big made it a little impersonal but the friendly and helpful staff more than made up for that.
Easy to get to all the tourist spots, the metro is virtually next door and you can buy the tickets at reception. The castle is walk-able but there are major road works to negotiate which adds about 10 minutes to the walk.
Prague is a beautiful city which has things for all tastes and the Diplomat makes a good base for sightseeing.
Tip: there are plenty of public toilets in the centre and by tourist hot spots, but they charge 5CZK or (mainly)10 CZK, so try to keep some small change handy.

1 Thank Jeff_HLiverpool_UK
Bukittinggi, Indonesia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Good room and for people from Asia, the hotel restaurant serve many kind of food that suitable with our tongue, very clean with very friendly staff.... If we go back to prague, this hotel is my first choices to stay ....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Romford
Reviewed October 17, 2012

3 nights on a group trip. Nice clean hotel conveniently placed for all modes of transport for travel to center of city. Great dinner and breakfast. Very friendly and helpful staff. Will definitely stay at this hotel on next visit to Prague.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business for a week. Almost everything was good. My only big complaint was that there was one ironing board in the ironing room for the entire hotel! So, if you don't mind creased shirts this is your hotel.

• Stayed May 2012