“Couldn't fault it”
Review of The Charles Hotel

The Charles Hotel
Ranked #272 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Great location, lovely rooms, good well stocked breakfast, all facilities required were provided, friendly and helpful staff. We had a lovely stay. They even gave us a little breakfast stash to take to the airport as Ethan an early flight.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Four of us enjoyed a stay at The Charles Hotel. Our room unfortunately didn't have a painted ceiling but our daughter and boyfriend's did so we got to see how charming it was. Both rooms were spacious and very clean, the bathroom had a bath & shower which was excellent. Staff okay, wouldn't go overboard but no issues with breakfast not being replenished (we had read about this in other Tavellers reviews). Breakfast was nothing outstanding but pretty much all options covered. Position of hotel is good, close to Charles Bridge. Very good bar almost next door, plenty of good places to eat near by, we especially liked a wine bar called Deja Vu.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magglington
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I went to book this hotel for a nice break and booked it via Venere.com.
I booked a room and the price was charged in UK £, then the hotel billed me in Euros and the cost was lots more. I went back to the customer Services at Venere and the did not help they said i had to talk to the hotel - well the hotel told me it was bank charges i had to pay and that's why they ripped me off more then £30 over my booking. I only found out they had billed me in advance of my arrival, as Venere.com told me i would have to pay in cash when i got to the hotel, so i was at the bank getting out the cash when i saw the payment direct to the hotel for more then i had been quoted on Venere.com. If i had not found this out maybe i would also of been billed twice.

The worst thing about this is the Customer Service at Venere.com - tole me it was totally the hotels fault and here's some of the things they said to me over the booking..

this is what they said on the day I was due to fly out..

'we kindly ask you to be patient, we have wrote again to the hotel for your issue regarding the reservation 15989277
Fabio Brocchi
Customer Service
Venere.com

Once they had worked out why I was over charged this is what they said 'We understand that this was a difficult situation for you, but unfortunately, I must point out that we cannot take responsibility for this occurrence.'

So what is the hotel like - well its in a very busy noise street. You can hear the drunks all night. The rooms are big and warm. The worst thing is our toilet was broken and flushed all night - like having a waterfall in your room. The Breakfasts are dreadful - yuck. The staff were ok - was especially nice - Verrica (very nice needs a promotion). The clearers were a pain and vacuumed out side your room at 7 in the morning - which was very annoying as it was the only time that it was quiet outside the hotel.

Saying all this the hotel has a great location, but the fact that they have stolen money from me via the booking as made me very annoyed. DO NOT BOOK VIA Venere.com - unless you like being ripped off.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tanya614
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights in June 2012 while meeting up with a friend. Old and cozy hotel. Room was huge and had a nice rustic feel about it. Location is very good, short walking distance to most things you'd like to see. Breakfast in the cellar was very basic but got the job done. A/C worked perfectly and was appreciated during the humid summer nights. Have seen some reviews about noise, but I didn't experience it at all despite facing the "busy" street two floors up. Seemed quiet outside, maybe just lucky? Would consider staying here again if I go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I wanted just aware all people that want to stay in this hotel and are reading peoples reviews.
First of all, hotel is doing with purpose overbookings. So after you have got confirmation of your booking, never be 100% sure you will be accommodated there. This happened to so many people and still so many people keep booking this hotel and take that risk. The risk is the highest during holidays and weekends.
Second, pay only cash in euros, otherwise you will pay much more than you expect. They have there their own axchange rate 27 CZK, that will make you to loose a lot of money.
Never take room 108, is the most noisy and small room ever.
Otherwise if you will be lucky and will not go to their sister hotel due to water problems, will pay in cash, euros and stay in any other room than 108, maybe you will have nice stay there. Because staff is most of the time nice and hotel is cosy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Simona N
Reviewed November 2, 2012

In general the hotel was good, very clean, breakfast as expected for country and very fresh, usually topped up regularly. Staff efficient and as stated a great location. Hotel decoration getting a little worn, tea bags not topped up over the 5 days we stayed, but we had taken our own, and a request for extra pillows was never followed up. Over all though a good place to stay maybe they just need not to be too complacent about their reputation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely stay at The Charles Hotel. It is in a very central location, perfect for walking to visit all the Prague attractions. On arrival the staff were very polite and had a good understanding of English. Our room was on the second floor, and as requested in our booking was not near the lift (as we had read on here those rooms were quite noisy and they were right!!) The room was huge with a beautifully painted ceiling, seperate entrance hallway and en-suite, a lovely comfortable bed with good wardrobe and 8 wooden hangers suitable for both trousers and jackets. There was an easy to use safe in the wardrobe and access to dry cleaning services if required. Shoe cleaning facillities were also available. We had tea and coffee making facillities in the room which were well stocked. There was also a mini bar. The bathroom was nice and again contained all the toiletries you would need including a hairdryer. Due to the age of the hotel and it's many wooden internal features dust does collect, we did see quite a bit of dust, but as I live in an old property myself I know how easy dust appears!!! The bathroom and our room were spotless, apart from the corners on the floor where some dust had gathered. Breakfast was very basic continental with a couple of hot extras such as scrambled egg or sausage/bacon etc... By the end of the breakfast service it got very busy and there wasn't much left. People often took the fruit so that had all gone, so had the English tea bags!! I couldn't complain about the breakfast, but would suggest you didn't leave it too late before going down. There are very few staff serving and they do their best. There is internet access one 1 computer which was handy for me as I don't have a smartphone/i-pad etc..... There is also tea/coffee making facillities in the reception area, though by the end of the day it has all gone.
There were a couple of downsides, one being as the hotel is so old you can hear other guests locking and unlocking their doors which happens with quite a racket, the doors are very big and heavy with the old locking key entrance. And secondly all the floors are wooden though there are rugs to walk on and often footstep noise could be heard.
Overall it is a beautiful, old hotel with so many outstanding features and we would have no hesitation in staying here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not near the lift as they are quite noisy as the lift is rather old!