“A Czech Christmas”

Ranked #221 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Lancashire Lass UK
“A Czech Christmas”
Reviewed December 27, 2006

My family and I have just returned from a Christmas in Prague. We wanted to sample an alternative Christmas experience to that of the traditional family Christmas in the UK - a getaway from the usual shopping frenzy.

We arrived in Prague the evening of the 22nd December. We had booked our Hotel via a Czech travel agency on the web. Included in the price was a free airport transfer and the taxi driver was waiting for us in the arrivals hall as we came through customs. Our transfer took approximately 20 minutes.

I personally have been to Prague before and had stopped out of the centre necessitating the use of the metro. We decided that we would like to have a more central location as we were unsure of transport over the Christmas period in Prague, hence the booking of Cerny Slon.

The Hotel is situated just off the old town square, right next to the Church of our Lady before Tyn. The Church and the Hotel are 14th century. The Cerny Slon is a listed Unesco building.

The position therefore of the Hotel is splendid and totally central to all the sightseeing we wished to do.

We had booked a triple room. This was on the 3rd Floor (an attic room). We had three single beds. The room was large and comfortable. The room had 2 very small windows from which you could just about see some of the surrounding roof tops. The room was beamed and the walls were rendered in places ands stone/brick in others. There was a very modern bathroom with bath, shower, toilet and bidet. Towels and bedding were clean and white and changed on a daily basis. Toiletries, shower cap, shoe shine etc. were also provided. The room had a mini bar at the usual hotel prices.

The room had a slightly damp smell just on entering which quickly disipated when inside. We presumed this was in keeping with the stone facade and age of the building. The room was warm and also had radiator and air conditioning if required. There was plenty of storage space and a free safe available in the room.

There is no lift in the hotel. If you have any disability associated with climbing stairs to your room, I would not recommend being on the 3rd floor! It was considered our daily workout! There was no porter to carry your cases, so you need to be in a position to be able to carry your cases upstairs - at least one floor.

Breakfast was served from 7.00 - 10 a.m. in the Restaurant. The Hotel is not very big therefore the restaurant has 6 tables only, However, we were never in a position where we could not get a table.

The breakfast was quite varied, serving a choice of apple or orange fruit juice, water, speciality teas and coffee. 4 Cereals and milk. Cheese platter and meat board. Fresh fuit salad, yoghurts, assortment of breads and spreads as well as hot food if requested (scrambled egg etc.) A toaster was provided. The breakfast was self service.

The staffing over the Christmas holiday were well mannered, polite and helpful.

We reserved a meal in the downstairs cellar restaurant on Christmas Eve. The food was varied and well priced. The drinks were also well priced in comparison to restaurants and cafes in the local vicinity.

Our triple room cost 4600 czeck crowns per night (£560) for a 5 night stay.

We would definitely book again.

Prague is beautiful, especially this time of year with the Christmas markets and christmas decorations. Charles Bridge, the Jewish Quarter, the Palace and Castle are all within easy walking distance.

Try little restaurants off the main streets - we had some of the nicest food at excellent prices in these. The main streets in both old town and Hradcany charge more and some charge 15% service charge which is not always evident from your menu.

A word of warning about the Old Town outside cafes, particularly the one opposite the Astronimic clock - very expensive. Check the menu before sitting down - 4 drinks and 2 liqueur coffees stripped us of £40!

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, warm and central
  • Disliked — The stairs!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Relisys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed October 28, 2006

This hotel is perfectly situated in heart of the Old Town. We went as a party of 8 and booked 4 double rooms which were all very clean. The people at the hotel were very friendly and helpful booking excursions and taxis etc... The breakfast was simple but enough to start the day off well. We didn't actually eat in the hotel restaurant at night but the bar was intimate and friendly and we enjoyed a drink or two in there before hitting the many bars and restaurants in Prague. I would have no hesitation but to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Bar closed early on an evening and residents couldn't drink in there after hours
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
england
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed in the Hotel Cerny Slon last year, and, having just discovered this website I felt impelled to pass comment.

I can honestly say that this hotel was one of the best small independants that I have stayed in anywhere in the world. The staff were excellent, they arranged a pick-up for us from the airport. The building itself is beautiful and really gives you a sense of being in Prague rather than just in another tourist hotel.

When we first entered our room I was totally bowled over. We were on the top floor and the ceiling rose into a point and was laced by beautiful wooden beams going up 5-10 metres. There were french windows opening onto the square below and I spent many hours sitting in the open window, beer in hand, watching the hustle and bustle below. The bathroom was lovely and the mini-bar was cheap. The bed was rather creaky but once you have enjoyed some fab local beer it didnt tend to be a problem!

There were times when it was slightly noisy (especially as there were plenty of stag dos around) but surely this is part and parcel of staying in such a central location?

I was delighted by the hotel and feel very privelaged to have stumbled across it when searching for somewhere to stay. I would recommend it to anyone even though the stairs are a bit of a killer!!

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank sallywally2006
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in January and again in February whilst on business. During the out of season months you can get great deals on room rates which might be worth considering if planning a trip and the high season rates are a bit steep.

I saw a few comments about the location meaning some rooms were rather noisy but after 2 stays I never experienced anything over and above what one might
expect for an inner city hotel. However the wooden floors do mean you will hear all but the most light-footed of neighbour in the rooms above or next to you :)

All that aside this hotel is one of my favourite of the centrally located ones. The rooms I had were very clean, nicely decorated and I had absolutely nothing to complain about, a very rare thing where I'm concerned! :)

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank stef11
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2005

We had just stayed at the Prague Hilton for 2 nights, very nice but a bit out on a limb as far as location goes. We stayed the next 2 nights at the Cerny Slon ,which is next to the Tyn Church and couldn't be more central. Lots of character and spacious rooms with wooden floors.
We weren't bothered by any noise from within the hotel , although the first (mid-week) night we were woken by revellers outside at about 2.30 a.m.
The continental buffet breakfast was a good spread - a nice way to start the day.
We didn't sample the (small) restaurant ; the bar was OK.
Being midweek in April, I guess the hotel wasn't very busy .
If you're looking for a bustling , bubbly place with a bar that stays open till late then this is probably not the place for you.
If you are on a tight budget , then cheaper places might be more suitable , although you would be unlikely to find anywhere with comparable history and style.
The double room we stayed in was on the second flloor (no elevator) , and there were no tea/coffee making facilities .
The bathroom facilties were comparable to the Hilton - tub with shower and there was also a bidet . The 'mini-bar' , containing soft drinks and snacks as well as some alcoholic drinks, was fairly low priced.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank stevemiler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2005

I have to admit, I knew nothing about Hotel Cerny Slon. I stumbled across it when looking for suitable lodging in Old Town, and all my original "first picks" were booked solid. However, I can't imagine how I would have enjoyed my stay in Prague anywhere else, more! Perfect location (right next to Our Lady of Tyn Church) ; incredibly polite, competent and efficient staff (when my luggage didn't make it to Prague due to a tight connection in Amsterdam, it was *they* who tracked it down, made sure it was delivered to the hotel and up to my room); lovely, clean rooms, with modern ensuite bathrooms (my room had a barrel-vaulted plastered ceiling that harkened back to the 14th century and large French-style windows that opened onto the quaint alle below); tasty breakfast, and a reasonably-priced, filling and delicious meal can be enjoyed in the hotel's bar/resturant if you're not up to venturing out again after a long day. My only regret is that I spent only three days in this beautiful and alluring city -- I absolutely hated leaving this quaint and cozy gem of a hotel. No question -- when I return, I plan to stay at the lovely Hotel Cerny Slon!

• Stayed May 2003
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
uk
Reviewed January 10, 2005

We stayed at the Cerny Slon from 4th-7th January and found it to be clean, warm and with very friendly staff. Noise was not really a problem as we expected there to be some at this time of the year and at a hotel this close to the old square. Although the restaurant was excellent with a varied menu we did find it disappointing that as residents there was one night we couldnt eat either in here or the bar downstairs. (Perhaps a reflection on it's popularity?!).

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel!!

4 Thank lonestar