“Potentially the best small hotel I have ever stayed in”
Review of Cerny Slon

Cerny Slon
Ranked #216 of 649 Hotels in Prague
england
“Potentially the best small hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed in the Hotel Cerny Slon last year, and, having just discovered this website I felt impelled to pass comment.

I can honestly say that this hotel was one of the best small independants that I have stayed in anywhere in the world. The staff were excellent, they arranged a pick-up for us from the airport. The building itself is beautiful and really gives you a sense of being in Prague rather than just in another tourist hotel.

When we first entered our room I was totally bowled over. We were on the top floor and the ceiling rose into a point and was laced by beautiful wooden beams going up 5-10 metres. There were french windows opening onto the square below and I spent many hours sitting in the open window, beer in hand, watching the hustle and bustle below. The bathroom was lovely and the mini-bar was cheap. The bed was rather creaky but once you have enjoyed some fab local beer it didnt tend to be a problem!

There were times when it was slightly noisy (especially as there were plenty of stag dos around) but surely this is part and parcel of staying in such a central location?

I was delighted by the hotel and feel very privelaged to have stumbled across it when searching for somewhere to stay. I would recommend it to anyone even though the stairs are a bit of a killer!!

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank sallywally2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in January and again in February whilst on business. During the out of season months you can get great deals on room rates which might be worth considering if planning a trip and the high season rates are a bit steep.

I saw a few comments about the location meaning some rooms were rather noisy but after 2 stays I never experienced anything over and above what one might
expect for an inner city hotel. However the wooden floors do mean you will hear all but the most light-footed of neighbour in the rooms above or next to you :)

All that aside this hotel is one of my favourite of the centrally located ones. The rooms I had were very clean, nicely decorated and I had absolutely nothing to complain about, a very rare thing where I'm concerned! :)

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank stef11
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2005

We had just stayed at the Prague Hilton for 2 nights, very nice but a bit out on a limb as far as location goes. We stayed the next 2 nights at the Cerny Slon ,which is next to the Tyn Church and couldn't be more central. Lots of character and spacious rooms with wooden floors.
We weren't bothered by any noise from within the hotel , although the first (mid-week) night we were woken by revellers outside at about 2.30 a.m.
The continental buffet breakfast was a good spread - a nice way to start the day.
We didn't sample the (small) restaurant ; the bar was OK.
Being midweek in April, I guess the hotel wasn't very busy .
If you're looking for a bustling , bubbly place with a bar that stays open till late then this is probably not the place for you.
If you are on a tight budget , then cheaper places might be more suitable , although you would be unlikely to find anywhere with comparable history and style.
The double room we stayed in was on the second flloor (no elevator) , and there were no tea/coffee making facilities .
The bathroom facilties were comparable to the Hilton - tub with shower and there was also a bidet . The 'mini-bar' , containing soft drinks and snacks as well as some alcoholic drinks, was fairly low priced.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank stevemiler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2005

I have to admit, I knew nothing about Hotel Cerny Slon. I stumbled across it when looking for suitable lodging in Old Town, and all my original "first picks" were booked solid. However, I can't imagine how I would have enjoyed my stay in Prague anywhere else, more! Perfect location (right next to Our Lady of Tyn Church) ; incredibly polite, competent and efficient staff (when my luggage didn't make it to Prague due to a tight connection in Amsterdam, it was *they* who tracked it down, made sure it was delivered to the hotel and up to my room); lovely, clean rooms, with modern ensuite bathrooms (my room had a barrel-vaulted plastered ceiling that harkened back to the 14th century and large French-style windows that opened onto the quaint alle below); tasty breakfast, and a reasonably-priced, filling and delicious meal can be enjoyed in the hotel's bar/resturant if you're not up to venturing out again after a long day. My only regret is that I spent only three days in this beautiful and alluring city -- I absolutely hated leaving this quaint and cozy gem of a hotel. No question -- when I return, I plan to stay at the lovely Hotel Cerny Slon!

• Stayed May 2003
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
uk
Reviewed January 10, 2005

We stayed at the Cerny Slon from 4th-7th January and found it to be clean, warm and with very friendly staff. Noise was not really a problem as we expected there to be some at this time of the year and at a hotel this close to the old square. Although the restaurant was excellent with a varied menu we did find it disappointing that as residents there was one night we couldnt eat either in here or the bar downstairs. (Perhaps a reflection on it's popularity?!).

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel!!

4 Thank lonestar
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 28, 2004

The location is the best and worst thing about this hotel. In terms of being central to the main tourist sights, it could hardly be better.

However, be aware that the sound from the frequently held concerts/events in the nearby square is going to be booming into your room (even though the windows are double-glazed) and you'll have a set of vendors touting their wares underneath your windows all day and much of the night.

Not only that - note the wooden floors from the hotel's website. It might look quaint and romantic, but it sure doesn't feel that way when you can hear every single footstep from the room above. It was not funny when the people upstairs were checking out for a 6 a.m. flight.

Yelling drunks can also be a problem in the early hours (as you would expect of such a central location - there's a lot of bars in the area).

Maybe we just had a bad room, but the constant intrusion of noise meant it was impossible to completely relax ay any time.

Service was generally ok - one receptionist (Veronika) was excellent; the others were surly (not unusual in Prague) but still efficient.

My experience in this place brought home again one of the axioms of travel: You can have the best facilities and the best location, but it's worth very little if you don't have the basic requirement of a relatively sound-proofed room!

3 Thank Sn0wLe0pard
Leicester, UK
Reviewed October 18, 2004

Spent 4 days in this hotel with my young family and it proved an excellent choice in an excellent central location. We stayed in a quad room in the loft area that was spacious clean and quiet. Service and breakfast were good. Staff were pleasant and courteous. English was understood throughout and, when making the booking, emails were answered promptly.

2 Thank MarkOfLeicester