“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #211 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Wilmington
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you are looking for a room within walking distance of almost everything in Prague with a very friendly staff, good breakfast, clean and comfortable, and reasonably priced then the Hotel Cerny Slon is an excellent choice. The hotel is located less than a half minute walk from the Old Town Square. We had no problem with language since everyone speaks at least a little English. Our room on the first floor was (one flight up from the lobby) was large enough and very comfortable. We would definitely stay there again if we return to Prague. We did not see an elevator so rooms on the upper floors might be a challenge if you bring a lot of luggage and the hotel locks up at midnight; however there is someone on duty 24/7. You just need to ring the bell to get in. All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you have trouble climbing stairs or bring a lot of luggage ask for a room on a lower floor.
Petr V, Manager at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you very much for your beautiful rewiew. It is true we plan to build a lift next year. We will be looking forward your next stay in our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in May 2014 & couldn't have been happier with our choice! Arriving in the evening after 15 hours of travel, the hotel arranged for a private car to pick us up which eliminated the stress of getting into the Old town from the Airport. He took us right up to the door and carried our bags in where we were met by the gracious and helpful (english-speaking) desk agent. The room was unexpected large by previous European experiences and our room windows opened directly to the Tyn Church overlooking an alley where cafe music and local bar sounds would float up as ambiance. Beds were super comfy, temperature was always controlled and the bathroom was HUGE with great water pressure and heat.
First night we ventured downstairs and ate in the bar where we had amazing local trout and local wine with friendly helpful amazing staff of waiters.
Free breakfast buffet each morning included meats, cheeses, breads, eggs, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and fruit, and when it was time to leave the desk helped us call a taxi and pre-arranged the cost so we wouldn't get swindled. Loved every single minute there.
Best part was the location! A few steps off of old town square made it a great base for walking to everything in prauge! Save your metro fare and wander the tiny narrow cobblestone alleys to find the best wine and snacks and just enjoy being there.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper maybe don't stay on the church side. I heard the bells every hour...
1 Thank Leigth M
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your nice rewiew, we are happy that you like our rooms, location and brekfast. We and all our stuff try to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Hope you will choose our hotel again.
Holon, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed at the Cerny Slon Hotel for 3 wonderful nights in May 2014.
The hotel is in a beautifully preserved old building which has kept the spirit of the old but has all the advantages of the new (except for an elevator, which will be installed soon). The rooms were comfortable, clean and cosy and the staff was well trained, kind and extremely helpful.
The hotel's location is unbeatable - right on the Old Town Square in the middle of all the action.
In addition - the Cerny Slon Restaurant in the hotel was an excellent choice for dinner, anytime.

Room Tip: For now, until they install the promised elevator, it is preferable to stay on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel. We are glad, that you enjoyed your stay, the great news is that an elevator is about to be built. I hope see you next time.
Wigan, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Popped in for some traditional Czech food and was not disappointed.

Lovely food, at a good price.

Great Staff who deal well with all languages.

Lovely selection of starters mains and deserts.

Many thanks it was just what we needed.

Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you very much for your beautiful rewiew. Iam very happy that you enjoy your stay at the Hotel Černy slon that much. We try to do everything possible to make our guests feel at our best. Hope you will visit our hotel at your next trip to Prague again.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Super location, just off Old Town Square, helpful staff and friendly atmosphere. Lovely breakfast and free wi-fi connection in the hotel. The room was absolutely spotless and provided everything we needed including the most amazing ceiling!

Room Tip: Only downside is that our room was on the third floor of a building with very high ceilings and no l...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel on a 4 day city break to Prague. The hotel was pleasant and clean with very helpful staff. Room was a good size and also had a hairdryer, tv and mini bar. A continental breakfast was included in the price. There is also a lovely small bar and restaurant serving traditional czech food. However the best feature of this hotel was its location. Located just off the old town square this hotel was in a prime location for a very reasonable price. Walking distance from all the major tourist attraction as well as shopping area and metro stations. Will definitely be returning to this hotel next time we are in Prague.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you very much for your stay in our hotel. It is true that the hotel is in the center of Prague, and you can get into all the interesting and historical sight on foot. We are glad you enjoyed your visit here in our hotel and we will be looking forward your next stay with us.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I was on a long layover and needed to find a place to stay two nights in Prague. I was planning on getting around by foot, so I wanted to be sure I had a good "home base" to return to periodically throughout the day while I was touring around. I found Hotel Cerny Slon on TripAdvisor (as usual), and booked based on the user reviews. Once again, I was not at all disappointed! This was my first time to Prague, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When the cab driver brought me from the airport (the hotel arranged this for me, by the way... definitely recommend), he kept winding all around narrow streets and ultimately parked in front of this cute little spot nested in between several buildings and a church. I started to get pretty excited that this was my hotel. It was just so quaint! When I checked in, the woman at reception was incredibly friendly and helpful. I asked where a few things were and she was happy to provide information to help me out. I stayed in room 15, which was on the third floor (this is the top floor - I think there are 16 rooms). There was no lift, and that third flight of stairs became a bit of a challenge with sore legs and feet from hiking around all day! But, the third floor was SO charming, and the additional exercise was much needed after all the delicious cuisine I ate while there! :)

GENERAL: The room was very clean, and the bathroom was very neat and looked to be fairly recently remodeled (I would estimate within the past 3-5 years, if that?). There is a hairdryer in the room that is nice and powerful. The water pressure was GREAT, especially for European hotel standards. The heat / AC unit ran in high and low cycles. At first, I thought it would bother me, but it actually sounded like I had the window open on a breezy day the way it kicked on and off. It was almost like white noise while I slept, which was lovely. There is a small TV in the room, a minibar, and some toiletries. Everything you need for a comfortable stay!

LOCATION: For me, the location could not have been any more convenient. When I set out on the first day to "find" Old Town Square, I was shocked to walk about 50 yards out of the front door and be IN the square already. I selected the hotel partially based on location, but had no idea it would be that close. This was incredibly convenient, as there is a lot to do right in and around the square, and if you do any guided tours (which I didn't, but there are some that seem really great / comprehensive!), many of them leave from the square. It's also a great central location to get to just about anywhere. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Charles Bridge, maybe 10 minutes to the Powder Tower, etc. A++++++ for location.

STREET NOISE: Some reviewers commented on the noise in the room. I didn't have a problem with that at all. I stayed Monday and Tuesday night, so perhaps there is a rowdier crowd on the weekend? I slept from 11:00 - 13:00 when I arrived on Monday and didn't notice a thing. In the late evening (maybe around 11:00) both nights, I heard one crowd of people walking through the little passage way behind the hotel, but it certainly wasn't anything that lingered. They were just passing through. I guess if you are a light sleeper, bring some earplugs with you... but that's just general travel advice. At the end of the day, you have to decide whether you want a great location or a better chance at a noise free street outside. No matter where you're at, it's almost impossible to tell whether or not there will be street noise... so I always go for the location and come prepared. :)

BATHROOM: These aren't "deal breakers" for me, but I should note a few things to note about the tub / shower that someone with any mobility issues should keep in mind. The tub sits up VERY high... I am 5'6" and the top of the tub came up to the middle of my thigh. There were some acrobatics that came into play when it was time to get in (and out of!) the shower. There is a grab bar on the wall, but I believe it's for people who want to take a bath, as you can't reach it to get in / out since it's blocked by the shower door. Also, the shower head is mounted pretty low, so I had to bend down a little bit to wash my hair. No big deal, just not something you want to do while you're still half sleeping so you don't lose balance. :) Finally, the shower head is mounted on the middle of the long side of the tub wall. The shower door is typical European style with a small fixed glass piece, and another "flap" that closes into place. This door covers only just over half of the long side of the shower. This combination means that if you are taking a shower, you end up with a huge mess of water all over the floor. Toss a towel on the floor before you get in, and you'll be good to go. Because this is a B&B setup and I'm sure each room is unique, perhaps these issues were isolated to the room I was in. I would definitely call or email and ask - the staff were very responsive through email before I arrived.

OTHER: Breakfast is included in the room rate, and they have a nice little continental breakfast spread with everything you need - eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, yogurts, fruit, pastries, meat, cheeses, bread, coffee, tea, juice. Lovely. Also, at the same place where they serve breakfast, they have a restaurant that is open to the public for lunch and dinner. I had dinner there one night, and it was very nice. I will review the restaurant separately, but I'd definitely recommend if you want a nice meal with local flavor. The Indian Jewel restaurant is also a stone's throw away (opposite the way you walk to Old Town Square), and has amazing food if you fancy Indian cuisine. There is also a little pancake cart just outside the door, a pizza place, and of course all of the cafes and little stalls with beer, Old Prague Ham, sausages, etc. out in the square. No shortage of good food nearby!

I didn't mean for this to be so long... but I loved my stay at this place. I'd definitely stay there again if I return to Prague, and would recommend you consider it too!

Room Tip: No lift, so if climbing steps is an issue, ask for a low floor (3 floors total). If you don't m...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank SharonK001
Petr V, Manager at Cerny Slon, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you very much for your beautiful rewiew. Iam very happy that you enjoy your stay at the Hotel Černy slon that much. We try to do everything possible to make our guests feel at our best. hope you will visit our hotel at your next trip to Prague again.