Plaza Alta
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$172
$169
$135
$80
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe mexican restauranttram stopcity centreold townfree wifinice hotelno tea coffee facilitiesconference roommain townreception staff arethe hotel websitewithin easy reachtransport linksbeautiful cityquiet areacold meatstwin beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was our 2nd stay at the Plaza Alta. The first time it was in a cheap internet deal in 2012 and we were nervous then about the location, but when we decided to come back to Prague this year through Cresta Travel we didn't hesitate to book the Plaza Alta again even though Cresta had a choice of several Prague hotels.

This time our room 208 was at the front of the building and was huge - I think this was an executive room or even a suite, even though we had only booked a standard room. The bed was a massive superking and very soft and comfortable (although a little soft for my partner). The bathroom was nice and had a useful separate toilet, and there were robes and slippers in the room. Everything was kept spotlessly clean and we had new towels each day.

As it was quite late when we arrived we decided to eat dinner in the hotel's Mexican restaurant on the first night for ease. We both had fajitas which were very good and came in a large portion for a reasonable price, but I can't answer for any other dishes. I do wish they'd get rid of the mannequin in dressed in a wig and Mexican hat and poncho as it's a bit tacky, but it does make me laugh.

Breakfast was the usual choice of cereal and cold items, bread and sweet rolls, plus bacon, 2 types of sausage and scrambled, fried and boiled eggs, and a hot cheese and sausage pastry thing. On our last day there was no hot buffet and you had to order hot items "a la carte" instead. This felt a bit odd but I can see it was probably done to avoid waste so we didn't have a problem with it, although I would have preferred to help myself. Weekend breakfast is served till 12.00pm which is very civilised in the land of great beer! I have a feeling there might have been a little more choice for breakfast during our previous stay, but it was perfectly adequate this time too.

All the reception and bar staff were friendly and efficient and we didn't encounter anyone who was rude. A special thank you to Jan on reception - on our last afternoon there was a problem with our prebooked taxi transfer, and Jan kindly got on the phone to sort it out in Czech even though it wasn't the hotel's responsibility.

As many other people have mentioned in reviews, the hotel's location really isn't a problem due to the tram stops outside. I think it even adds an extra dimension to the trip as taking the tram makes you feel a bit like a local! We probably won't come back to Prague now as this was our 2nd visit as a couple and my 3rd visit in total, but I would recommend this hotel to others as there are often good deals available and I feel the standard is very good for the price paid.

Stayed 10th-14th February

Room Tip: rooms ending in 08 are the corner suites
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dammitjanet0161
PlazaAlta, General Manager at Plaza Alta, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for staying with us at Plaza Alta Hotel in Prague and sharing your positive feedback about our room, the location of the hotel, dinner & breakfast services and our staff. We are happy to hear you have enjoyed your time with us and you have chosen our hotel for the second time.
Be assured, I will share your comments with the entire team.

Kind Regards from Prague,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Very nice hotel. Lovely helpfull staff! Rooms are nice and clean. We enjoyed a relaxing bath after a long day strolling downtown.

Good connection by public transport to Prague 1 (City Centre). Tram stops just around the corner.

I would certainly recommend this hotel. Great value for money!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
PlazaAlta, General Manager at Plaza Alta, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and liked the room you stayed in.

Thank you for choosing Plaza Alta Hotel and we hope to see you again during your next visit.

With kind regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We spent three days in this nice and modern hotel. The staff were all very friendly. Price/quality is excellent. The hotel is not in the centre of Prague but the public transport got us real quickly in the centre. When visiting the beautiful town of Prague next time, we would definately book ourselves again a room in this nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Sas90

Dear guest,

thank you for your positive comments shared with the TripAdvisor community.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return in the future.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and it definitely wasn't the stay we were expecting afer reading the reviews. To start with the welcome we had from the receptionist with half her hair shaved off was hardly welcoming or friendly. When we got into the room we noticed it was nothing like the pictures on the internet the rooms aren't awful but not what you would expect from a hotel with a 4 star rating and there was always a funny smell in the room and corridor! The breakfasts are also not as advertised, nothing about them is American and on 2 occasions there was no hot food out. on one of the days there was nothing and on the second it was made to order but came out very quickly considering it was meant to have just been cooked! There was a photo in reception of the breakfast which was not even close to what it really was, there was hardly any hot food out at all! On the third morning we had the choice of 2 different types of sausage and a fried egg! When we came to have dinner here it was disgusting! The burger looked and tasted like cardboard and my partners fajitas were greasy, chewy and little taste we were extremely disappointed! I would not stay here again nothing about it was relaxing, enjoyable or anything like it's a dvertised! An all round disapointment!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holly w
PlazaAlta, General Manager at Plaza Alta, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback to your recent stay in our hotel, however I regret to read that your experience with our hotel did not fully meet your expectations.

I am surprised to hear about your impression of our reception staff that was not friendly enough as they usually get positive feedback from the guests.

Regarding to your comment about hotel room (star rating) I would like to inform you that our hotel meets all list of the mandatory requirements of the European hotel classification for the category hotel - 4* rating. Classification is checked by the Czech Association of Hotels and Restaurants regularly.

Also, I am sorry about your dinner experience, as these two mentioned dishes are among the most popular ones in our restaurant.

Please accept my apology for our breakfast selection. During low season we prefer to serve hot meals on a la carte basis because of the freshness.

I would like to assure you that your feedback was shared and discussed with my colleagues and I am very sorry not to have the possibility to discuss all your comments already during your stay personally with you.

Yours faithfully,

Ivana Holubová

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Although located outside the city centre getting into the city is really easy, number 12 tram stops a 2 minute walk away and the metro, a 10 minute walk gets you to Wenceslas Square very quickly.
We were on the 4th floor ( exec room) and like other guests noticed an odd smell in the corridor. The room was clean and had all we needed, except for the powdered milk:-(. There is a shop over the road where proper milk can be bought.
The lighting ( Eco lighting) took a while to warm up so you needed to turn the bathroom light on about 10 mins before you needed it. Unusually there was a separate toilet and bathroom, very useful after all the cheap beer!
Room was clean and housekeeping good.
7 Tacos restaurant was a good choice for 1st night dinner after arriving about 8pm.
Breakfast was a typical European breakfast (which bore no resemblance to the picture near the lifts) smoked sausage, funny bacon and strange looking eggs but the continental option was good. The self service bean 2 cup coffee machine was great with good quality coffee beans to ensure we got our caffeine fix.
Most of the guests were German, don't think I heard English once during our stay but that wasn't a problem.
Would I stay here again? Probably not, we would like to be a bit closer to the town but all in all it is a reasonably good hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple