“Excellent lesson on communism in Prague”

Museum of Communism
Ranked #81 of 1,047 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum looks at what Czech society and life was like under the Communist regime.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Museum is located on main shopping street off of Wenceslas square above McDonalds and next to a Casino so if you can find those you will find the entrance to the museum. It is well worth an hour or two if you have an interest in communism or the recent history of Prague.
There’s a lot to read and it is displayed in numerous European languages. The small exhibit on North Korea and the video on the Prague revolution were brilliant. The gift shop also has some interesting and unusual souvenirs – look out for the candles!
This gave us good info and background on Prague which helped put into context present day Prague.

1  Thank McNoodle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My only regret with this museum is that we didnt do it sooner. I would advise anyone going to prague to visit this early in their trip. The museum has a lot of information and you need time to read through it all. The video is fantastic and really gives the city context with regard to its recent history (the velvet revolution). Its really moving and eye opening. This helped me to understand the city and its culture. Make sure you have enough time to read through everything and to appreciate the video. As a few other reviewers have said this is not a museum full of shiny interactive displays but provided this doesn't bother you Im sure you'll get a lot out of it.

3  Thank Jenni R
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was one of my favourite experiences while in Prague. It tells the entire history of the rise and fall of Communism in Czech History. Could have spent longer there if we had not been pressed for time.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I liked this so much, I went back on my second trip to Prague and brought a friend. I'll do the disclaimer first: if you like your exhibits shiny and interactive, this might not be for you. And there's nothing wrong with that; go do something you'll enjoy. This museum is self-guided and text-heavy. If you can work with that, definitely give this place a look. I found it to be informative, thought-provoking, wryly amusing in places where the opinions of the proprietors show through, and absolutely riveting once we got to the footage of the Velvet Revolution. An added bonus: some of their posters are a riot. The new section on North Korea is grim enough that you might want to keep young kids off the patio.

5  Thank TaraRain
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I found this museum to be quite dull and confusing. Although it does document the entire history of Czech communism there is just TOO much reading and not enough exhibits. It would of been better with less information just documenting the more important parts in detail with relevant exhibits. I found I did come away with a little more knowledge than I had before I entered but was tired and just wanted to sit down. I did purchase a book from here for 50czk which was really interesting and of good quality.

2  Thank Kayleigh T