“So much history in one small quarter”

Jewish Museum in Prague
Book In Advance
More Info
$44.96*
and up
Walking Tour of Prague's Jewish Quarter Including...
Ranked #93 of 1,093 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The expositions of the Jewish Museum in Prague are located in four historical synagogues (Maisel Synagogue, Klausen Synagogue with the Ceremonial Hall, Pinkas Synagogue and Spanish Synagogue). The museum tour further includes the Old Jewish Cemetery and Robert Guttmann Gallery. The museum is open daily except Saturdays and other Jewish holidays: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (summer time) and 9 a.m. – 4.30 p.m. (winter time). Tickets can be purchased at the museum’s ticket offices, Information and Reservation Centre (Maiselova 15, Prague 1) or in the museum's e-shop.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The visit was well worth it eventough it is expensive. Students get interesting reductions and don't need id's. The synagogues are all museums and reflects a specific accpect of the Jewish religion. The Jewish museum shows only a fragment of the 40000 pieces of judaica they posses.
The cemetery is amazing, just have a look for yourself.
If you're not familiar with the Jewish religion, I recommend taking a guide.
Toilets requires a fee as in ALL Prague, don't argue, just accept it.

3  Thank CityHopperJerusalem
jewishmuseminprague, Public Relations Manager at Jewish Museum in Prague, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2015

Thank you very much for your review and we are looking forward your next visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,979)
All reviews
in 476 reviews
"judaism"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to have a look at the Old Jewish Cemetry and found out that we can also visit the museums in the synagogues as part of the deal.

Our visit didn't start off well as by being holders of the Prague card, we are entitled to a discount for the visit. However the cashier at the ticket counter couldn't process the discount and insist that our cards don't work despite it being valid in all the other places we visited. When we asked him to try again, he rudely insisted that our cards don't work and even shoved our card and money back to us!

We decided to do the tour nonetheless paying the full price as we had walked all the way there. The exhibits in the museums (we did the Spanish Synagogue and the Synagogue closest to the exit of the cemetry) were rather limited and we hardly find anything too interesting to see really. That being said, the Spanish Synagogue was pretty nice looking and is probably let down by the exhibits available.

There were also many tour groups in the Synagogues with large number of tourists and most of the time, we get cramped out of an area when the tour group was there before we had a chance to finish looking. Tour guides also had the tendency to just talk as loud as they can to the tour group which I find rather annoying especially when you get pushed away before you have finish reading something on the exhibits.

Staff at the Synagogues and the ticket counter was also rather rude and almost passionless. I wss exiting the cemetry when I had some difficulty opening the gate to go out and this staff by the gate was shouting to me in some czech or some other foreign language as those he is indicating that I am too stupid to open a simple gate!

Overall, a pretty bad experience for me which is also a reason why I guess I didn't visit the other Synagogues.

1  Thank win4ever
jewishmuseminprague, Tým podpory webu TripAdvisorFront Office Manager at Jewish Museum in Prague, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2015

Thank you for your comments. Each unfriendly conduct of our employees is a violation of internal regulations. We regret you felt uncomfortable and apologize for them. We always welcome specific description unpleasant experience, so we can deduce concrete conclusions and prevent its recurrence.
We are proud JMP is the most visited museum in the Czech Republic visited annually by 550.000 to 600.000 visitors. During the high season, especially in certain hours, such an interest can make your visit less pleasant. The ticket is valid for seven days, however, and therefore we recommend to come earlier in the morning or in the afternoon.
The guides are not employees of the Jewish Museum in Prague however we do apologize on their behalf. Regarding the behavior of our visitors and their tour guides, we rely upon their common decency.
The Pinkas synagogue you mention is actually one of the earliest memorials of its kind in Europe.
Thank you for your understanding and we will look forward your next visit of the Jewish Museum in Prague.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

did not realise how well preserved this area is.the shuls are magnificent.its almost as if the area is in a time warp.the Jewish restaurants are well worth a visit also.

2  Thank Hobson692
jewishmuseminprague, Manažer komunikace at Jewish Museum in Prague, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2015

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The first thing to know is that there is not one "Jewish museum" in Prague; it includes several sites (synagogues, community hall, cemetery) under one umbrella. (This became apparent when I attempted to meet my travelling companions "at the Jewish Museum" but we found one another relatively easily.)

The synagogues are all very interesting and quite different from one another, ranging from the ornate Spanish Synagogue to more austere settings. The children's drawings from the Holocaust were very moving. There are good displays of historical artifacts that will be of great interest to Jewish visitors and informative to those who aren't as familiar with Judaism. For whatever reason, the Old-New Synagogue is not included in the ticket.

The cemetery is very scenic. I noticed many people taking photos and I suspect that most of them had not purchased the photo license. The many souvenir kiosks outside the cemetery definitely pulled me out of my contemplative mood immediately.

One of the biggest realizations I had after my visit was how small the Jewish ghetto was originally.

3  Thank therese l

Thank you very much for your comments. The Jewish Museum in Prague is a single entity. We consider the opportunity to see the exhibition in the natural environment of historic synagogues, which are also rare exhibits themselves one of the main merits of the museum.
The Old-New Synagogue is owned by the Jewish community in Prague that is why the tour is not included in the tour of the JMP.
Regarding taking pictures, rather than on strict rules we rely upon the common decency of our visitors.
Thank you for your understanding and we will look forward your next visit of the Jewish Museum in Prague!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Let me start off with all the negatives and my gripes.
1.The tickets to the Jewish Museum (7 sights) run about $25 per person, which is about the most expensive sightseeing you can do in Prague.
2.They are closed on many holidays- not even the ones you would expect- they closed for two full days after Easter (I am sure there is a Holiday I just don't know about).
3.They don't accept Credit cards even at the main ticket office- why? Because they don't have to- that's why!
4. They are really obnoxious about taking photos. And not out of respect or any religious reasons, because you can take photos- you just have to pay extra to do so.
5. The only way to see the Cemetery is to buy a pass for all 7 sights. Why? Because it is the most interesting sight to see and they know it.

All that being said- this is a must see while in Prague. The Pinkas Synagogue and Jewish cemetery are breathtaking and very emotional. They have a gravity and feel to them that is hard to describe, but should be experienced. The Spanish Synagogue is beautiful (interior) and well worth seeing on it's own even if you don't due the entire Museum (7 sights). The exhibits are well crafted and cared for, and the information is very interesting.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still see all 7 sights, and just be annoyed that I had to pay a lot, in cash, while visiting on a different day than I had planned, all the while sneaking photographs like a criminal,

6  Thank Pete C