“basic needs”
Review of Opera

Opera
Ranked #313 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed November 10, 2012

the hotel is ~15 min from Prague tourist/ historic area but there is a metro almost right in front of the hotel itself. It is also close to the main bus station (bus to airport and karlovy vary). So, it's pretty convenient. There are couple of nice restaurants by the hotel which was perfect. I don't want to eat in the tourist downtown prague all the time. The room is basic + clean. There is nothing fancy, just basic things that you would need. I just like the fact that it's clean & well maintained. The staff is helpful. breakfast & wifi are free.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
HotelOperaPrague, Director of Sales at Opera, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Prague.

You write that the room is basic. You probably did not find the slippers and bathrobe?

Next time we will do maximum to receive 5 stars. :)

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The room was comfortable and much larger than I expected (I would highly recommend booking a standard room instead of a single room - it's MUCH bigger). The breakfast was good with hot and cold foods, though not the best I've ever had. The location was fine - not right the city center but certainly walkable.

But the most important to me: this hotel was the cleanest I've had in a long time - even at high end hotels. I found NOTHING that made me crinkle my nose.

While I acknowledge that the woman at the reception desk was less than bubbly when I first arrived, I have no complaints after that (everyone else I encountered was helpful, and even she was friendlier later).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HotelOperaPrague, Director of Sales at Opera, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Katie, thank you very much for your nice review and the full score!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

it's a very nice hotel. But the staff could have been more polite; when we arrived at the hotel the gay at the reception was chatting with his friend on the phone and completely ignored us for almost ten minutes. I speak Czech so I understood their conversation. Another annoying fact was that there was no TV reception in our room, no programs at all. When we complained at the reception, they promised to fix it, but they didn't. The rest is ok, breakfast is nice, room are comfortable and clean...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I arranged a Stag do to Prague for 14 lads. I had some strict criteria for the hotel:

- Secure (no reports of theft)
- Comfortable with decent breakfast (well reviewed)
- Close to town
- Under £40 per person per night.

The Opera did not disappoint! The hotel was all of these things and not at all noisy as some people have commented.

The bar prices were reasonable as were the minibar prices. The Street view pictures don’t do it justice as immediately left of the hotel are nice quiet cobbled streets leading to the old town. I’d be happy staying there with my wife.

Check out the Helma bar and Grill a few doors down for a nice beer and a snack while you are there.

15 minute walk (through the centre) to the Charles Bridge or a 20 minute (nice) walk along the river. Ignore the negative reviews, you could do much worse for £35 a night!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RoughneckTwoZero
HotelOperaPrague, Director of Sales at Opera, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a somewhat old fashioned style hotel. Our room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. Staff were friendly and helpful, their English was very good. Our room faced the rear so no view to speak of, however it was quiet with no traffic noise. It's in a fairly run down location but only a few minutes walk from the Old Town Square. Wifi was available in the lobby, dining room and bar but unfortunately only wired access in rooms. Good choice of food and reasonably priced, breakfast is a buffet and they try to cater for all tastes/nationalities. Nice to have slippers and dressing gowns provided, however they don't have proper showers and we missed being able to make our own hot drinks, especially first thing in the morning, but that may be their usual practice in Czech Republic. Overall though a good hotel I would not hesitate to recommend for a visit to this fascinating city.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia S

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Overall we were very pleased with the hotel. It was nicely maintained, very clean and the room was cleaned daily, although they didn't replenish the mini bar as they should and then tried to charge us for something we hadn't had. The breakfast was absolutely fine, although the baked beans are left cold and not put into the hot store area which was very strange! The eggs and bacon were lovely, great choice of bread and lovely pastries too. The hotel organised the taxi from and to the airport and this was seamless and was also done at the same rate as if you had booked it yourself. I aqree with some other reviews about the road noise and constant sirens, it definitely isn't sound proof and the curtains are completely ineffective at keeping the light out! The bed was extremely comfortable but very strange, extremely large pillows which aren't very effective, but I guess you could probably have asked for another one. Also, beware that they don't really do showers out there, there is a shower head but it's fixed to the side of the bath so it goes everywhere! The staff could also be a bit more cheerful, especially the breakfast staff!

The real downside and something to be aware of.... we booked directly with the hotel over the phone after finding that their rate was actually better than any of the internet search sites. We were quoted 360 euros and had this confirmed on an email and we took the equivalent in Czech Crowns to pay in cash as we were told they didn't actually take payment in Euros. When it came time to check out we were given the bill and the Euro rate had been converted into Czech Crowns at a completely different rate to what we had got when we came out, so much so it made a difference of £37! When we pointed out that we had the room rate confirmed in Euros and wanted to pay by our card in Euros as we weren't willing to pay so much in cash as it was a huge difference, we were told we couldn't pay by card in Euros because the card machine is Crowns only. I was then told I could go to a cashpoint if I wanted to pay the Euros rate (which they had said we couldn't do), so I did this but found that the ATMs only give out Crowns and any exchange places were also giving the very bad rate. This spoilt what was otherwise a really good break. So, the lesson is, if you are going to book and pay when you get there, either take euros in cash and insist on paying this way or expect a much bigger bill than you thought you would have.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road side of the hotel and definitely ask for extra pillows!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FrancesLangton
HotelOperaPrague, Manager at Opera, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Mr. Langton,

thank you very much for your customer review of Hotel Opera. We really appreciate the feedback. We are really sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay.

I would like to response to your most serious problem - the rate, you were charged. We sent you a confirmation with a rate quoted in Euros and a note below: Total rate for 4 nights is EUR 360,-. You will pay the hotel in local currency. The displayed amount (in EUR) is indicative and based on today’s exchange rate.

We use a official exchange rate of the Czech National Bank so we do not have any profit from charging you in Czech Crowns. Our card terminal operates in Czeck Crowns as it is a currency used in the Czech Republic.

I spoke with the receptionist and she remembers that she offerred you several options of payment: with card, in cash in Euros or in cash in Czech Crowns. You chose to pay in Czech Crowns and decided to take the money from a ATM outside. We are really not responsible for any fees you were charged by your bank for this transaction.

Next time we definitelly reccommend to pay with your card in the hotel. It is the cheapest possibility.

Best regards

Kamila

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Internet in room is only cable and not that reliable. WiFi on lobby. Important if you rely on it for travel information, like TripAdvisor! Breakfast is fine. Rooms are OK. Actually, the location being a bit farther from Old Town is good and the restaurants in the area are very good and close by. As long as you pay around 80Euro, the value is good. Over that, you can get better places.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family