“pictures on their website are misleading!!!!!”

Royal Residence Ungelt
Ranked #70 of 370 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our experience was dreadful. We relied on the pictures this residence had on its website. The apartment we got just looked very bad. It was clean, but the furniture was old, not well kept and had a very strong, stale odor. We wanted to switch hotels right away, but we couldn't because we had already paid for our 3 day stay.
Breakfast next day was bad. I had a cold egg, (their microwave was broken) with milk that tasted sour. Before we left I asked the girl in the lobby if they could take care of our laundry and she said they could for 10€.
We stayed out almost the entire day because we really didn't want to go back to our depressing room.
The next day after the bad breakfast, I gave our laundry to the staff. It was 9:30 am. We returned at 5:00 pm to find out our laundry will be returned the next day. That didnt work because we were leaving at 10:00 am, so they said we will get it at 10:00 pm that night. They didn't keep their word. We finally got our laundry back on the day we were to leave at 9:30, which would have been OK if it was dry. Our clothes were damp! And not all of our clothes were washed! There was a letter in the bag saying they didn't have enough time to wash more than half of the load! When checking out, they tried to charge us for TWO loads of laundry but I refused to pay. The girl at the lobby (one with red hair) was very rude, unwilling to help and overall not nice. A second girl came along, and after telling her the story waived the two unfair charges.

Room Tip: please do not stay here, save yourself the trouble! there are nicer places in Prague
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DianaBGuer

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Pros:
We got the apartment, which faces a quiet courtyard. The apartment was very spacious and had all the required necessities for a comfortable stay. Location was perfect, just a few mins walk to the Old Square (Astronomical Clock). The free Wifi (speed) was fantastic. The apartment was good value for us as we booked way in advance- think it was almost 50% off the actual price of the apartment rates.

Cons:
There were no lift to our apartment floor- quite a climb with heavy bags (for the bell boy- poor dude).
There was only 1 fan for our 2-room apartment, which was insufficient on a hot day (I had a couple of sleepness nights because of that. my friends were fine though, with the stiff air and heat).
Similarly, only 1 bathroom and tv, both located in the master bedroom. I'm not sure about the cable tv channels- there were limited english channel, I could only find CNN.

Overall, all my friends had a good time here- so it's still a good overall rating from us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Susan L
Reviewed September 20, 2012

In the spring of 1968, the Prague spring swept over then Czechoslovakia. At the same time, the little MGB was fast becoming a favourite and quirky favourite.

Staying at the Ungelt today is a little like making the decision of driving a 1968 MGB today.

Our hotel room was palatial in size with a near new bathroom (including tub and bidet), modern kitchenette, espresso machine and one of the most complete cable TV I can recall in a 4* hotel anywhere in the world. Very high ceilings with cornicing and chandeliers in both bedrooms were a very nice touch. Some of the issues raised by previous posts have been addressed - for example there was a fully working lift, reception is 24*7 and furnishings in the sprawling apartment were adequate.

At the same time, there were lots of quirks and gaps. There was no TV in the master bedroom, and the room also didn't have an alarm clock. Being perfectly positioned next to the Old Square, noise can be a problem as the lack of air conditioning means windows need to be open. Wifi had patchy coverage and powerplugs were scarce and badly positioned. Similarly, with a huge bathroom, the shower was tiny and the toilet was at the other end of the house. (The bidet though was next to the bath)

Bizarrely, this seemed somehow to add to the charm of the hotel. Staff were great - almost like a car aficionado sharing in their joy - giving personalised assistance and went over and above in helping us feel welcome in Prague. Newer hotels no doubt provide more of the mod cons, bells and whistles and more polish, but this place felt like you are taking part of the nostalgia and metamorphosis of Prague .

Being in the heart of Old Town Square so the location could not be better. Pricing of the rooms were excellent value and given the size of the rooms, I would suggest it is a good alternative to rest, stretch out and find space after a day tourist tripping.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pkirbyau
Reviewed August 18, 2012

As others noted, the location is just perfect and the apartment accommodations spacious and comfortable. The one thing that marred our two-night stay, however, was the riotous noise from the bar patrons in the street below, making it impossible to have the windows open (no a/c). Even with the double windows closed, the yelling was quite audible -- until 4:00 a.m.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BCS3915
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from Old Town Square so the location could not be better. There is everything you need on your doorstep and within walking distance.

The room was ok, we booked the basic, and I am sure the more expensive rooms would be good value too. We booked through the hotels own website in advance and got a good early booking discount.

I certainly did not hear any noise from pubs or outside on the street but on their website it says that they have soundproofed some of the rooms.

The room itself was roasting and the beds were very comfy. I would definitely go back here again.

A tip for getting to and from the airport is to use http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/ who are cheaper and offer a free walking tour of the city which was also fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cgriff15
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I loved this hotel. I stayed here for 5 nights in December with my girlfriend and my brother. The room was massive, the staff was extremely nice and friendly and the hotels location was perfect. This was my first trip to Prague and everything exceeded my already high expectations. I plan to go back to Prague and will most definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank RobW9999
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Ungelt on the recommendation of our friends who spent their wedding their with their wedding guests in 2006. The rooms are huge (more space than anyone would need, and we had two bedrooms and a tv room for 2 people). I wouldnt try to fit 4 people in it as there is only one bedroom. The hotel was bought out by Hotel Metamorphis, so it was nearly impossible to find out where we were to check in (in the courtyard at that hotel). There is a stair and a small elevator, but you have to unlock a door to a driveway, to get to the door to the stairs, and there is no one to guide you at night. The staff was great and the location was amazing.
Unfortunately, there is a club, which apparently does not close until after 4 am, right down the street from it. The teenage club goers are outside the club, blocking the street, yelling and screaming and breaking bottles all night. I couldnt believe the noise, even WITH ear plugs! There isnt air conditioning so you would want to sleep with the windows open but you cant. I couldnt believe that the neighborhood wouldnt complain to the management of the club to keep the kids inside as they are disturbing everyone for blocks. Dont think I'm a party pooper, I've been up late myself, but not in the street yelling. We even had trouble leaving at 4:45 am in the morning because some drunk (?) kids were sitting in the middle of the street and wouldnt move for the taxi driver to get by. We also paid the equivalent of $300 a night for the room, which I think is expensive in Prague standards.
I hope they can do something about the directions to the check in, and the club, because it would've otherwise been a delightful stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple