“Quirky Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #85 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Newberg, OR
“Quirky Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed October 18, 2005

This hotel used to be a Relais & Chateaux and is now a Small Luxury Hotel (SLH). It has an excellent location at the base of Prague Castle and rooms are large with the usual five-star stuff such as robes, slippers, A/C and heat that works, good soundproofing etc. Our bathroom was great, with two sinks, separate shower and jacuzzi tub. The hotel is of Art Deco vintage with decor that is very "Euro" and a bit odd by American standards. The rooms are all different but all the ones we saw feature intense colors (ours had bright orange upholstered furniture) and the art is pretty avant-garde. Our suite had big photo-montages of women's breasts! Room service was prompt and the breakfasts outstanding, featuring many organic breads, honey, etc. The TV had just one English-language channel while there were four channels in Russian and several in German etc. Also all the other guests while we were there appeared to be businessmen. It is a nice, comfy hotel and definitely not like anywhere else you will go, which may be good or bad according to your taste.

9 Thank Cawater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed August 27, 2005

I booked the delicious memories package for three nights which includes a 6 course degustation menu paired with wines, a cooking class and airport transfers.

As the only Relais & Chateaux property in the Czech Republic, expectations were high. Upon arrival at the airport, we were met by the hotel driver. Upon arrival, they give you a welcome drink on the terrace while they sort out your check-in. They noticed write away that my girlfriend and I speak French and so they had someone walk us through the details of the hotel in French. Then we are escorted to our room. The first sign of trouble was the elevator breakdown. If I hadn't decided to force the door open, we would have been stuck for at least 30 minutes in an increasingly hot and claustrophobic elevator.

The room was nice and I believe it was an upgrade to a junior suite. The next problem occurred at the dinner. We were supposed to have this six course tasting menu with wine for each course. Instead, they brought us a menu and said we should pick anything we wanted. They gave us a bottle of champagne for the elevator trouble, which I think was a nice touch, but when asking about the wine pairings, they just say, yes order whatever you want. So, while the bottle I took was fine, I would have preferred the pairing and the degustation menu. This said, the food was quite good.

We were told we would have a cooking class on the Sunday at 5pm, so we made sure to arrive on-time. When we asked around, no one understood what we wanted and we were told the chef was on vacation. Why didn't they know this at check-in?

What I did like was how the same woman who checked us in asked us how everything was going and when we explained the difficulties, she gave us both a free massage. While the expectations weren't met, I will say they did try hard to fix the mistakes.

One thing I thought was really special about this hotel was the 15th century stone steam bath. I had never seen anything quite like it, and it was indeed a unique experience.

Overall, when I go back to Prague, I'm thinking of trying one of the new modern hotels.

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank thebiz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2005

We spent our first year anniversary in Hoffmeister at the end of December, 2004. We booked through Expedia and we asked them in at least 4 emails to give us a room with jacuzzi. We never got answer to our emails, therefore we did not get room with jacuzzi.

The room we got was dark but spacious. The breakfast was great, however the young waitressess brought scrambled eggs when we asked for omlett and hard boiled egg when soft boiled was asked.

First day of the year we tried the Lily Spa which was amazing, but my necklace disappeared when I took it off before massage. It turned out that the staff put it into my robe's pocket without telling me!! When I went to search for it, all their problem was whether they can interrupt the next person's massage to look for my necklace in the massage room or not!

It is definitely not a five start hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 7, 2004

My husband and I spent the first four nights of our honeymoon at the Hoffmeister and really enjoyed our stay. The staff was generally helpful (exception being the night concierge, who was pretty flaky and not particularly knowledgeable) and attentive and the room was comfortable and well-appointed. The breakfast buffet was very fresh and offered varied options. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2004
9 Thank jws207
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 1, 2004

The Hotel Hoffmeister (oh, and my husband) made my honeymoon the best time of my life.
Even though it was our first trip to Europe the staff at the Hoffmeister was so helpful and the location is so close to the metro we were able to navigate Prague like seasoned travelers. We went in January, it REALLY wasn't that cold, and we got an amazing off season rate off of orbitz. The rooms are gorgeous, and we spend 40-45% of our honeymoon in the jacuzzi tub! That place is amazing, it will always have a special place in our hearts. (tear)

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Reviewed August 18, 2004

Although this is a more expensive hotel by Prague standards, it was worth the extra money for us.

Full of character, and with lovely added touches like the bed being turned down, with chocolates on your pillow. Very comfortable, and amazing bathroom!

Breakfast was lovely - never had to pick from a selection of teas before! And there was restaurant, which admittedly we never used as it always seemed quite.

Our room had a great view down to one of the bridges, and only a short walk from the Charles Bridge. On the other side of the water from Wencelas Square etc, but not a problem as everything was in easy walking distance, or you are right on a tram or underground station if you want to take it easy.

• Stayed August 2003