“Lovely hotel for my first trip to Europe!”

Design Hotel Josef Prague
Ranked #39 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Though I love the charm and architecture of older buildings, for my first trip to Europe I wanted a more modern hotel. Hotel Josef was perfect for me. It's a short walk to the Old Town Square, Jewish Cemetery and other sites.
The room was located on a non-smoking floor, sometimes hard to find in European hotels. It was roomy, clean and modern. Mini-fridge was great for having soda or juices on hand. The staff was helpful with recommending a restaurant for authentic goulash and also arranging for a car to take me back to the airport.
Though I wasn't a fan of the bright white lobby (again, I prefer character, but opted for comfort this time), it was nice to get back to the hotel and always find someone in the lobby area having a drink or chatting with friend. (A few blocks away is "Bar and Books" a fabulous dark bar where they make an icy cold martini. Definitely worth checking out!)
Easy access to business center to check e-mails (though we had free wi-fi in the room) and to print out boarding passes. Next time I'll look for a hotel in the Mala Strana section, but if you're a first time visitor to Prague, you can't go wrong at Hotel Josef!

Room Tip: Our room faced the cobblestone streets and was on the second floor. It was fairly quiet. I'm n...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AMPY1
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear AMPY1,

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Josef for your first trip to Europe and for sharing your feedback with other travelers.

I am happy that you enjoyed your room with all its amenities and thank you also for your nice comments about our service.

Hotel Josef's design concept might not be suitable for every taste but I am glad you gave it a try and enjoyed it.

Kind regards

Florentine Rehm

Write a ReviewReviews (2,594)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We are so happy with our stay here. The location is dead central v close to the Karls square, but still a little away from all the noise. The staff were very sweet, pleasant and service minded, and the whole hotel was very classy in "glass and steel"-style. Everything like signposts, snax in the minibar, the free map etc was designed in the same, branded "Josef" look - gave a very nice feel of quality.

Free internet - worked perfectly. The room had an actual double bed, not two singles pushed together, was large and clean with huge windows and the bathroom was very nice. We spent one of our evenings just in the local area - no need to go further we discovered - with a meal at Nostress, and drinks at Tretters and James Dean.

Highly recommend this hotel :)

Room Tip: We had a room out towards the road in front - gave a view and was NOT even noisy!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nina V
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Nina V,

We are so glad that you posted such a nice review on our TripAdvisor page! It's great to read that you are happy with your choice and enjoyed the hotel as much as stolling through the local area.

Thank you very much for recommending us to to the TripAdvisor community -

Best regards from Prague

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Hotel Josef is a lovely modern hotel. Here is the good

1. Great location near the old Jewish Ghetto and in Old town... just minutes from the Old Town Square
2. Room is spacious, bed is comfortable. I got a room with a glass bathroom, which is good if you are alone or traveling with someone you don't mind seeing naked.
3. They have Elemis toiletries
4. Each room has an umbrella, which came in handy. It is complimentary to use, but if you lose it, expect to pay 990 CZK
5.Free wireless internet throughout the hotel
6. Fitness Center on 6th floor
7. There is also a coed sauna on the 6th floor. There is a changing room for men and women and an area with lockers. The sauna is small and can only fit 3-4 at a time. There is a patio deck off this area if you want some fresh air
8. Good breakfast buffet with meats, cheeses, juices, breads, baked good, fresh cut fruit, yogurt.
9. There is complimentary fresh fruit at the front desk, bananas, pears and apples
10. It appeared that there is coffee and water available at the lobby bar. I didn't see if it was complimentary or not
11. Complimentary water left in room every day
12. My room was very quiet, but I asked for a quiet room and was given one facing the inner courtyard.
13. In walking distance from Subway B line Namesti Republiky.
14. Short walk to big Palladium Shopping Center, where there is all kinds of shopping and dining
16. Mini mart close by to get any food items that you want
17. Near many Trip Advisor top restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard if you want some quiet. Ask for a room without the Glass bathroo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear tman12,

Thank you so much for choosing Josef for your stay in Prague and your feedback.

It's great to read such a long list of things you liked about Hotel Josef - and nothing you didn't like!
About your point Nr. 10 - The coffee, tee and pastries which we serve in the until the early afternoon at our bar are complimentary for everyone in the hotel.

Best regards all the way from Prague to Massachussetts,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Kudos to the Hotel Josef / Hotel Maximilian Team, especially to their Head of Concierge, Mirka Slaba and Reservation Representative, Eva Jílková. I've stayed in many 5-star hotels around the world but I rarely experience service of this excellent calibre.

I made a reservation directly on the hotel's website back in October 2012. Usually I use Booking.com (which helps me track all my reservations) but Hotel Josef's website (and the online assistant) is so user-friendly that I went right ahead and booked. Some months later, I realized that my friends were staying at the sister hotel, Hotel Maximilian, and I made a reservation for this hotel too. Oops. Then, I got the hotel names confused and cancelled the booking that I wanted to keep. Yikes!

Both Hotel Josef and Hotel Maximilian were so patient and kind towards me. Mirka and Eva worked together to seamlessly restore my cancelled booking, cancel the double-booking and transfer information about my restaurant reservations. I owe them many apologies and thanks.

With such excellent, friendly and professional online service, I can only imagine what a wonderful experience it must be to stay at the Hotel Josef!

Room Tip: Look for special deals on the hotel website and use the online assistant to ask any questions. It...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gigis_mum

Dear Gigis_mum,

thank you very much for your kind feedback about our online service. Mirka and Eva were both very happy to read their names in Tripadvisor!

It's great to read that you felt looked after and we hope that you also had an enjoyable stay at Maximilian.

Best regards

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Upon booking, my husband mentioned that we were on our honeymoon , so our room was upgraded to 709, with a small balcony and a nespresso machine. On the 2nd day, they left a plate of heart shaped brownies on our table. Fia from guest relation and Filipe from front desk even brought us 2 glasses of sparkling wine and a hand written card. so spoiled!

The service was very warm and friendly. The breakfast was superb, lots of varieties, you can even blend your juice there! we reckon their breakfast was probably the best we had in europe.

This hotel is very close to old town and through a passage way, you can reach Republic Square in maybe 3 minutes. Very convenient!

Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank attoconcept
HotelJosef, Assistant Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear attoconcept,

It is such a pleasure for us to read your review which brings us much pride and happiness to the Hotel and to our staff.

It makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your honeymoon surprise from us, the more we could have done to make your stay as pleasant as possible the better for us. Prague is a popular destination for honeymooners and we are sure it left you with some great memories.

Most of all, we are honoured that you enjoyed our service here at Hotel Josef as much as you enjoyed our Breakfast. The whole staff is very proud that their services are appreciated by you and will use this review as motivation to continue to do their best.

Once again we thank you for choosing Hotel Josef and for your review and we wish you only the best for the future and we can only hope to see you again one day.

Best regards,

Filipe Clara
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our holiday was made from the moment we checked in at Hotel Josef. I stayed here with my girlfriend on a mid-week break. We originally went to Prague in order to see the sights and relax around the city but ended up enjoying the hotel more than anything else.
To begin with I want to say that the staff were amazing and always on top of their game. We were greeted my a very polite and informative receptionist with perfect English. We were then shown to our room and shown how to use the heating by our friendly concierge who also gave us a quick tour of the room.
Regarding the room, cleanliness was never an issue, always perfectly clean. The bed was perfect. Very spacious and bright with a great view of the city. The bathroom was lovely and the shower was stunning and powerful.
Extras in the room were well appreciated such as city guides, maps and reviews of local restaurants as well as other activities. As well as this the Television included English channels, exclusively news but also came with a DVD player for which you could get DVDs for from reception free of charge.
My only qualm would be regarding the breakfast which was probably lovely but I wouldn't know because we went to the city for morning eating due to it costing €15 in the hotel.
Overall, it was a fantastic stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert G
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Robert G,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback in Tripadvisor. We are all really happy to read that you had a good holiday here and enjoyed Hotel Josef as much as you enjoyed Prague!

Thank you also for pointing out all the details which are important to you - among them the service and the cleanliness of your room. We are very pleased that we were able to meet your expectations!

I wish you a wonderful day and hope we will be able to welcome you back to Hotel Josef in the future!

Kind regards

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I honestly don't know where to start with this Hotel. From the second we checked-in to the point of checking-out I was confident I had booked the best hotel in the centre of Prague! I was travelling with 4 friends for my 25th birthday in early February. I booked the hotel from their website, stay 4 nights, pay 3 deal. I'd say this hotel was perfect for couples, families and even business travellers too.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the additional requested items (Bose iPod dock) was sent to our rooms no hastle. We loved the overall modern look to the hotel, which was clean and functional. The rooms we had were well equipped, and the handy city guides were extra help with the FREE Wi-Fi throughout the hotel premises. Breckfast was brilliant (free if book room through their website) all fresh fruits, buffet hot foods, and the addition of the 'special' menu with freshly prepared gourmet plates straight from the chef.
The location is <5 mins walk from the historic town square. Turn right out of the hotel, then left at the junction 30-50metres ahead. Then follow the road straight into the NE corner of the square.
There is an Albert supermarket nearby for any supplies. The minibar was fairly priced, but the supermerket was obviously the cheapest. We had no problem from the hotel bringing in our own beer/supplies.
We took advantage of the hotels gym & spa (Top floor of the Orange House building) upon request, was completely clean and functional!
We also used the hotels concierge service on our last day to organise for us all to go to a local shooting range to kill some time waiting for our flight. The range was 20-30mins drive in the ranges free mini-bus.

We also recommend the 10 second walk from the hotel. Out the door, turn left. Cross the small street and the bar/resturant. (On google maps it's currently a music shop, needs updating) Again, cheap 40Kr for a large beer, and the Chezh food we ate here was lovelyan also low priced!
I will also review the "michelin recommended" resturant Mylnec (Located 1 min walk from the iconic Charles Bridge) in a seperate review. DO NOT MISS EATING HERE!

THANK YOU again to everyone at Hotel Design Josef, and I/we look forward to coming back!

Room Tip: Orange House is off the main road, overlooks the courtyard
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JmeBDC
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear JmeBDC,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Josef to celebrate your birthday! I am very happy to read that you had a great time celebrating this occation and I hope you and your friends have many good memories.

Thank you also for pointing out the special deals we have on our website and that your rate included our breakfast. It's too good to be missed and is always included if you book directly though us!

Best regards from Prague