“Great hotel in Old Town and nearJosefov” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Design Hotel Josef Prague

Design Hotel Josef Prague
Ranked #42 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Massachussetts
“Great hotel in Old Town and nearJosefov”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Hotel Josef is a lovely modern hotel. Here is the good

1. Great location near the old Jewish Ghetto and in Old town... just minutes from the Old Town Square
2. Room is spacious, bed is comfortable. I got a room with a glass bathroom, which is good if you are alone or traveling with someone you don't mind seeing naked.
3. They have Elemis toiletries
4. Each room has an umbrella, which came in handy. It is complimentary to use, but if you lose it, expect to pay 990 CZK
5.Free wireless internet throughout the hotel
6. Fitness Center on 6th floor
7. There is also a coed sauna on the 6th floor. There is a changing room for men and women and an area with lockers. The sauna is small and can only fit 3-4 at a time. There is a patio deck off this area if you want some fresh air
8. Good breakfast buffet with meats, cheeses, juices, breads, baked good, fresh cut fruit, yogurt.
9. There is complimentary fresh fruit at the front desk, bananas, pears and apples
10. It appeared that there is coffee and water available at the lobby bar. I didn't see if it was complimentary or not
11. Complimentary water left in room every day
12. My room was very quiet, but I asked for a quiet room and was given one facing the inner courtyard.
13. In walking distance from Subway B line Namesti Republiky.
14. Short walk to big Palladium Shopping Center, where there is all kinds of shopping and dining
16. Mini mart close by to get any food items that you want
17. Near many Trip Advisor top restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard if you want some quiet. Ask for a room without the Glass bathroo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear tman12,

Thank you so much for choosing Josef for your stay in Prague and your feedback.

It's great to read such a long list of things you liked about Hotel Josef - and nothing you didn't like!
About your point Nr. 10 - The coffee, tee and pastries which we serve in the until the early afternoon at our bar are complimentary for everyone in the hotel.

Best regards all the way from Prague to Massachussetts,

Florentine Rehm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai Region, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Kudos to the Hotel Josef / Hotel Maximilian Team, especially to their Head of Concierge, Mirka Slaba and Reservation Representative, Eva Jílková. I've stayed in many 5-star hotels around the world but I rarely experience service of this excellent calibre.

I made a reservation directly on the hotel's website back in October 2012. Usually I use Booking.com (which helps me track all my reservations) but Hotel Josef's website (and the online assistant) is so user-friendly that I went right ahead and booked. Some months later, I realized that my friends were staying at the sister hotel, Hotel Maximilian, and I made a reservation for this hotel too. Oops. Then, I got the hotel names confused and cancelled the booking that I wanted to keep. Yikes!

Both Hotel Josef and Hotel Maximilian were so patient and kind towards me. Mirka and Eva worked together to seamlessly restore my cancelled booking, cancel the double-booking and transfer information about my restaurant reservations. I owe them many apologies and thanks.

With such excellent, friendly and professional online service, I can only imagine what a wonderful experience it must be to stay at the Hotel Josef!

Room Tip: Look for special deals on the hotel website and use the online assistant to ask any questions. It...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gigis_mum
Dear Gigis_mum,

thank you very much for your kind feedback about our online service. Mirka and Eva were both very happy to read their names in Tripadvisor!

It's great to read that you felt looked after and we hope that you also had an enjoyable stay at Maximilian.

Best regards

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Upon booking, my husband mentioned that we were on our honeymoon , so our room was upgraded to 709, with a small balcony and a nespresso machine. On the 2nd day, they left a plate of heart shaped brownies on our table. Fia from guest relation and Filipe from front desk even brought us 2 glasses of sparkling wine and a hand written card. so spoiled!

The service was very warm and friendly. The breakfast was superb, lots of varieties, you can even blend your juice there! we reckon their breakfast was probably the best we had in europe.

This hotel is very close to old town and through a passage way, you can reach Republic Square in maybe 3 minutes. Very convenient!

Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank attoconcept
HotelJosef, Assistant Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear attoconcept,

It is such a pleasure for us to read your review which brings us much pride and happiness to the Hotel and to our staff.

It makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your honeymoon surprise from us, the more we could have done to make your stay as pleasant as possible the better for us. Prague is a popular destination for honeymooners and we are sure it left you with some great memories.

Most of all, we are honoured that you enjoyed our service here at Hotel Josef as much as you enjoyed our Breakfast. The whole staff is very proud that their services are appreciated by you and will use this review as motivation to continue to do their best.

Once again we thank you for choosing Hotel Josef and for your review and we wish you only the best for the future and we can only hope to see you again one day.

Best regards,

Filipe Clara
Assistant Front Office Manager
Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our holiday was made from the moment we checked in at Hotel Josef. I stayed here with my girlfriend on a mid-week break. We originally went to Prague in order to see the sights and relax around the city but ended up enjoying the hotel more than anything else.
To begin with I want to say that the staff were amazing and always on top of their game. We were greeted my a very polite and informative receptionist with perfect English. We were then shown to our room and shown how to use the heating by our friendly concierge who also gave us a quick tour of the room.
Regarding the room, cleanliness was never an issue, always perfectly clean. The bed was perfect. Very spacious and bright with a great view of the city. The bathroom was lovely and the shower was stunning and powerful.
Extras in the room were well appreciated such as city guides, maps and reviews of local restaurants as well as other activities. As well as this the Television included English channels, exclusively news but also came with a DVD player for which you could get DVDs for from reception free of charge.
My only qualm would be regarding the breakfast which was probably lovely but I wouldn't know because we went to the city for morning eating due to it costing €15 in the hotel.
Overall, it was a fantastic stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert G
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Robert G,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback in Tripadvisor. We are all really happy to read that you had a good holiday here and enjoyed Hotel Josef as much as you enjoyed Prague!

Thank you also for pointing out all the details which are important to you - among them the service and the cleanliness of your room. We are very pleased that we were able to meet your expectations!

I wish you a wonderful day and hope we will be able to welcome you back to Hotel Josef in the future!

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I honestly don't know where to start with this Hotel. From the second we checked-in to the point of checking-out I was confident I had booked the best hotel in the centre of Prague! I was travelling with 4 friends for my 25th birthday in early February. I booked the hotel from their website, stay 4 nights, pay 3 deal. I'd say this hotel was perfect for couples, families and even business travellers too.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the additional requested items (Bose iPod dock) was sent to our rooms no hastle. We loved the overall modern look to the hotel, which was clean and functional. The rooms we had were well equipped, and the handy city guides were extra help with the FREE Wi-Fi throughout the hotel premises. Breckfast was brilliant (free if book room through their website) all fresh fruits, buffet hot foods, and the addition of the 'special' menu with freshly prepared gourmet plates straight from the chef.
The location is <5 mins walk from the historic town square. Turn right out of the hotel, then left at the junction 30-50metres ahead. Then follow the road straight into the NE corner of the square.
There is an Albert supermarket nearby for any supplies. The minibar was fairly priced, but the supermerket was obviously the cheapest. We had no problem from the hotel bringing in our own beer/supplies.
We took advantage of the hotels gym & spa (Top floor of the Orange House building) upon request, was completely clean and functional!
We also used the hotels concierge service on our last day to organise for us all to go to a local shooting range to kill some time waiting for our flight. The range was 20-30mins drive in the ranges free mini-bus.

We also recommend the 10 second walk from the hotel. Out the door, turn left. Cross the small street and the bar/resturant. (On google maps it's currently a music shop, needs updating) Again, cheap 40Kr for a large beer, and the Chezh food we ate here was lovelyan also low priced!
I will also review the "michelin recommended" resturant Mylnec (Located 1 min walk from the iconic Charles Bridge) in a seperate review. DO NOT MISS EATING HERE!

THANK YOU again to everyone at Hotel Design Josef, and I/we look forward to coming back!

Room Tip: Orange House is off the main road, overlooks the courtyard
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JmeBDC
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear JmeBDC,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Josef to celebrate your birthday! I am very happy to read that you had a great time celebrating this occation and I hope you and your friends have many good memories.

Thank you also for pointing out the special deals we have on our website and that your rate included our breakfast. It's too good to be missed and is always included if you book directly though us!

Best regards from Prague

Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Josef with my 3 young boys. The hotel is in a great location - in between Old Town and New Town (about 5 - 10 min walk to either). It is about a 25 minute walk to the castle - but we did not mind as it is such a beautiful city to walk around. There is a tram near the hotel that you can also take to the castle if that is too far to walk. The breakfast was amazing with something for everyone. Also, the hotel provides a wide selection of DVDs to check out at no cost (which was a great thing for the boys after a day of touring) - We were also provided with bowls of popcorn along with the movie (we did not even need to ask - they were so thoughtful they brought it up to our room!!). Everyone was very helpful and we were always welcomed with a smile. The rooms were very clean and large enough for the 4 of us. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dede S
Dear Dede S,

Your comment is a great motivation for all of us and we are very happy to read that you recommend Hotel Josef to all TripAdvisor readers. Thank you!

Thank you also very much for taking the time to write such nice feedback about your stay - especially since I remember how busy your three boys keep you!

I hope you and the boys have good memories of your time living and travelling in Europe before you return to the US and I hope to be able to welcome you and your family back one day.

Best regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Well this is a very easy review to write as our entire experience at the hotel josef was brilliant! The staff were warm and welcoming and our every need was catered for. There is exceptional attention to detail at josef from availability of DVD rental for free, to the complimentary drinks to keep you going in the gym!

We arrived to a lovely welcome note in our room and heart shaped petals on the bed... A valentines surprise for my partner :)

Josef is walking distance to everywhere worth visiting, this city is a magical place and one we will definitely be visiting again and when we do we will certainly be booking back in at hotel josef!

Thank you so much for making our stay truly memorable!

Heather and Michelle

• Stayed February 2013
Dear heatherandmichelle,

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Josef as your Valentines treat and the lovely feedback about your stay.

Little details are very important to us and I am happy to read that you noticed and appreciated them.

It is also great to read that you are planning to return and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards