“Two for the Price Of One...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Design Hotel Josef Prague

Design Hotel Josef Prague
Ranked #41 of 669 Hotels in Prague
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Two for the Price Of One...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Well another day another hotel and trip on my mini-EU tour. So to give you a bit of insight into the title of this review - I booked 3 nights in Praha and as soon as I arrived to Hotel Josef (not late in the evening in fact it was 11 am during the day time) I was told initially that the was a heating problem and that they would need to shift me to a sister property that was literally a 3 min walk away. Okay....I was like now I know that is a lie - you oversold the hotel and therefore are shifting me. I did not read this piece previously on another reviewers feedback but that is in fact what they do....

So off I went with the nice concierge guy, Mohammed, to Maximillian. From the outside and lobby Maximillian looks just fine. However, all comparisons to Hotel Josef stop right there (I am going to review the Maximillian in another post). Suffice it to say - stay far away from the Maximillian!!

In fact, I first thought of not moving back to the Josef but since I need to work out everyday I made it a point to ask if there was a gym at the Maximilian-thankfully they said well you can Go to our sister property....um not in -10 degree weather am I sweating up a storm than coming back in frigid weather to get sick. Ultimately,, this was a blessing in disguise!

Back to the Josef, when I arrived back the next day approximately 9:30 am was told that a room was not ready and I would have to wait approximately 1 hour. Okay fine, I will do some browsing And reading / work. Again, the super nice Mohammed came by to ask if I wanted a free cappuccino or some other beverage. About an hour and half went by and I noticed another guest who came in after me was specifically approached and given his key - not me! Wait a minute here! I had to go back up and ask and the same girl was like oh yes here you go. This was the same lady that I dealt with twice before so do expect a bit of extra care... At this point you must be thinking why am I giving Hotel Josef a very good rating - simply put from this point forward the Hotel Josef sparkles for its modern and immaculate interior, location, value for price and amenities. I say go ahead and book and enjoy- just make sure you don't get shifted to the Maximilian! The only redeemer at the Maximilian is the Planet Zen Spa - amazing massage services!

The breakfast is great and buffet style. When I finally got to my room and came back there was a complimentary bottle of wine and almonds. The rooms are hip and freshly decorated - bright and clean! The work out room is great with free water and vita water and all the normal work out amenities. The business center provides all the essentials with 4 Apple desktops for you to browse and so any Internet work you need. There is complimentary wifi in your room and lobby. They even have a car service for approximately 800CZK (~40 USD, reasonable since it is a 30 minute drive to the city center of Praha). On my trip in it was about 700 CZK so of course you can call the local taxi service but for me reliability and peace of mind is key. I had a very early AM flight at 6 am to Zurich so wanted to have a reliable service and they can add It to your bill versus cash/credit card). All sites are very close from Josef 5-10 minute walk.

I highly recommend the Josef but NOT the Maximilian (for detailed feedback on Max,please my post under reviews for that hotel).

Enjoy Praha - lovely little quaint city!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear JamieN_Global_Sole

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback about your stay at Hotel Josef and Maximilian Hotel. We really appreciate your points and are glad you returned to Josef and enjoyed your stay with us.

It is also great that you liked the room we chose for you. To apologise for the inconvenience, we allocated one of our city view rooms for you and this is why it took a bit longer for the room to be ready.

Thank you for pointing out Mohammed’s service. He was very proud to read his name on Tripadvisor!

All the best from Prague

Florentine Rehm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

First trip to Prague and Hotel Josef proved to be a great place to stay! 5 min walk to Palladium Mall(Czech Republics biggest shopping center), 5 min walk to Old Town Square, police station couple doors down! Extremely accommodating at the front desk-helped us out ALOT. Clean,modern,minimalistic room with comfy beds and duvets. Great price and had good view of the entire street from our room. Definitely recommend it. Only issues we had were the coffee not being restocked in room (which was rectified very quickly),and the parking attendant parked someone elses car BEHIND ours in the underground garage-so we were blocked in and delayed 30 min until they moved the other vehicle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear 1158-dm,

Thank you for your nice comment! We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay at Hotel Josef and that you liked the location and the service we provided.

Thank you also for pointing out the minor issues you had, this feedback is important to us and helps us to improve our service.

Kind regards from Prague

Guanajuato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I were there for 10 days after Christmas. We had a nice room facing the old town. The location of Josef is perfect, within walking distance of the main attractions in magnificent Prague.
The only thing I didn´t like about the Josef was the name of a drink they offer in the bar: The name of the drink is INCA, and the base of the drink is TEQUILA. I´m a proud Mexican, and I spend alot of time teaching people that México is more or less 8,000 kms away of Perú. The Aztecs were the last pre-hispanic civilization in México, and the Incas their equivalents in Perú. Also, México is in North America and Perú is in South America, the same continent yes, but with the equator in between, and of course the one and only real TEQUILA is 101% MEXICAN!

Room Tip: If you can choose a room with view of the old town, will be nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ZopiloteMojado,

thank you very much for sharing your experience at Hotel Josef on Tripadvisor. We really enjoyed having you and your wife staying with us and hope you have many good memories of your time at Josef and in Prague.
After you pointed out the incorrect cocktail name during check out, we changed it and it is now renamed Aztec, as you suggested!

Kind regards

Veldhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nice and modern hotel with hospitable staff. Breakfast buffet is outstanding and well above average. Have experienced very small rooms so if you like your room to be big, ask!.
Rooms are well utilized and clean and have seperate bathrooms/showers. Easy accessable thruogh multiple elevators. Light and sizable lobby, not very private though as it is facing the street through open windows.

Room Tip: Ask for a big room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank oclaassen
Dear oclaassen,

thank you for recommending Hotel Josef on Tripadvisor! We were happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast
We have different room categories and big rooms are available. It's best to speak to our reservations team to make sure you get the room that you are looking for.

Kind regards

Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night for business. Very impressed. Very modern and contemporary. Room was excellent. Very spacious and modern design was really refreshing. Certainly not your run of the mill hotel room. The large glass walled bathroom was amazing. Room service was excellent. Breakfast and lunch were also very good indeed but beware huge portions of food!!
Internet was by wifi - fast, easy to connect and free.
All staff were polite and very efficient indeed. All spoke superb English.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Nscc2,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! We are very happy to hear that we were able to impress you and that you will recommend us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards from Prague

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at Design Hotel Josef in October 2012 during a 4 night trip to Prague. I chose the hotel based on the great reviews on Tripadvisor, the location, and the price. I'm happy to say that the hotel met all of my expectations and more. The location was ideal for exploring the Jewish quarter and the central square of Prague, both of which were in walking distance. It is also quite close to the Municipal Building which I have to say is a must-see in Prague if you enjoy Art Nouveau architecture. I was also pleasantly surprised by the breakfast that was included in the rate of our stay. We were able to order eggs, cappuccino, and other breakfast items in addition to the buffet. The rooms were modern and quite large and our bathroom had a rain shower which was a nice touch. All in all, a great hotel.
One note - I would agree with some of the other reviewers about using the taxis at the airport instead of using the hotel car. As long as you make sure to take a AAA taxi you should not have any problems with being overcharged and it is definitely less than what the hotel car costs. However, it is convenient to use the hotel car when you might need to travel to another part of Prague when it's cold and dark outside!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jessieclaire,

thank you very much for your nice feedback about your stay at Josef. We were glad to read that you enjoyed your visit to Prague and Hotel Josef! Thank you also for pointing out our breakfast - it's always included if you book with us and will last you for a long time while you visit Prague's many sightseeing spots!

Best regards from Prague

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our first trip to Prague, and this hotel made it a great experience. It is well located within walking distance of two major squares in downtown Prague. When we first saw the location we were not so sure, but don't be fooled. The room was very nice, but don't expect a view here. The service was exceptional. We decided to watch a DVD in our room one night. They sent popcorn up so we could enjoy the experience. The next day was my wife's birthday (I guess they got the info from our passports). They send a small cake with a candle to our room that evening. Very impressive. They also gave us complimentary breakfasts the next morning. The breakfast was superb, although we typically don't purchase breakfast when in Europe because there usually relatively expensive for what you get. We're more the roll and cup-of-coffee type. But I digress. We totally enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear William S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at Hotel Josef. Thank you also for choosing to stay with us during your wifes birthdays and we are really happy that you enjoyed our little surprise!

All the best from Prague