“On the Charles Bridge”

Hotel U Tri Pstrosu (At the Three Ostriches)
Ranked #209 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It is a bit surprising to open your room window and see all the tourists taking pictures of you, ok actually they are taking pictures of the west tower of the Charles Bridge and the Prague Castle which is behind you.....Great location in the middle of the pedestrian stroll...I mean right in the middle from the Castle to the Wenceslas Square! Romana Risova the front dest manager...was a delight to work with about arrangements and her english was better then mine...great spot to spend a night or two...and oh I should tell you the breakfast buffet had everything you could want.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Bridge side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our first time in Prague for a 3 night stay. Oldest hotel building in Prague, wonderful location at the foot of the Charles Bridge. Fine breakfast included, room price was a great value. The hotel staff was most friendly and eager to help. There is no elevator here, so if that is a concern this place is not for you. If not, you can't miss. Great little bakery right outside hotel front door. Several very good restaurants within 50 meters of so, as well as a number of casual sandwich shops, pizza, etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank newtonpair
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I recently came back from a stay at this hotel. The hotel is located right at the foot of the Charles Bridge on the Mala Strana side which made it very convenient. The drawback to its location is that it can be rather loud, with so many tourists coming and going right outside your window. While the rooms were clean, I thought the bathroom was very, very small. The shower was so tiny that I have bruises from banging my arms against the glass and I am a petite woman. In addition, the Internet connection was terrible. On my first day, I was unable to connect my iPad on the wifi. When I asked the receptionist, she told me that I needed to "try again." After several tries on my iPhone and iPad, I finally gave up and went to Starbucks. The next day, the Internet finally worked but the connection was not very strong and I kept getting dropped. Since I stayed in two different rooms on two different floors at this hotel during my time in Prague, I can say that the Internet connection was very bad on the third floor and even worse on the second floor.

As others have said, there is no lift. I had to drag my suitcase up three flights of stairs after getting off a 14 hour flight, which was not a happy experience.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
utripstrosu, Manager at Hotel U Tri Pstrosu (At the Three Ostriches), responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for your review. We were checked WIFI connection, but we did not found any problems..I think maybe at the same time somebody has downloaded big file. However, we decided to install more transmitters in our hotel. I hope, if you come next time to our hotel, you will be more satisfied. With regards, David Starý, manager

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Loved our stay at this hotel. Walk out the hotel onto the Charles Bridge. Couldn't be a better location. Room was nice, clean and bed comfortable. Very good breakfast too (included a fritata that was quite yummy). Very friendly and helpful desk staff. Adjoining restaurant is nice but a bit expensive. Good, inexpensive restaurants are a couple of minutes walk away. Only drawback to this hotel is there is no lift. If you are on a top floor and have lots of luggage it could be a drag.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower room if you have heavy luggage.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We recently stayed for four nights at this hotel over the Easter period ,it is a fantastic location at the foot of the Charles bridge the staff are friendly and helpful ,breakfast was fantastic with loads of choice ,we expected just continental but there was also a hot selection available (bacon egg sausage etc) there was also free Wi-Fi .The Hotel is steeped in history and was orriginally built in the 1500's ,the rooms was Warm and functional and there was antique furniture everywhere .I would recommend staying here to all great base for exploring a fantastic city .

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 12 which did not look over the charles bridge ,although we did not find thi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madbyker1
Reviewed April 1, 2013

For our first time in Prague we could not have made a better choice. The location is fantastic. Our room was not large but clean, elegant, with antique furnishings, ornate ceilings and an enchanting view on the Charles Bridge. Breakfast is good, and the staff is kind. There's free wi-fi in the hotel and a computer available for customers in a cute lounge on the first floor. No elevator. As long as the prices of the rooms remain affordable, if we go back to beautiful Prague (very soon, I hope!) we'd love to stay again at Hotel U Tri pstrosu. We would also recommend the fresh specialities of the bakery which is right next to the hotel, and the unique atmosphere of the restaurant U Patrona in the small square nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view, higher floors (but remember there is no elevator)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in March. I booked 2 rooms for my Mum and myself.
Fantastic location in the heart of the city. Situated at the foot of the Charles Bridge on the castle side of the river, this hotel is a perfect base for exploring the city. The hotel is an old historic building, full of character, with wooden beams in the ceiling. My room looked out directly on to Charles Bridge. A fantastic sight to wake up to. Everything is in easy walking distance, we didn't use the tram at all. Convenient if you want to come back and get changed, or drop off souvenirs.
My room was clean, and equipped with a safe and mini bar. No tea or coffee making facility in room, so pack a travel kettle if you want to make a hot drink.
The staff were all friendly, and as it was Mothers Day on the day we arrived, I had ordered flowers over the internet to be delivered to the hotel. The staff had kindly received the flowers, put them in a vase of water, and placed them in her room for her arrival, which I arranged through emails with them. Even though the temperatures outside were freezing, the hotel was nice and warm. Prague was fantastic, and staying at this hotel added to that experience. This hotel would be equally great for a city trip, exploring the castle, a romantic break, or a short break with your Mum:) I would definately stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends