“Should be a 5 star but for one issue”
Review of Maximilian Hotel

Maximilian Hotel
Ranked #27 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Des Moines, Iowa
“Should be a 5 star but for one issue”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I would easily rate this hotel a 5 star except for the problem we had when their driver picked us up at the train station with a nicely typed letter saying the our room was not available and we were being taken to a different hotel with an equal accommodation. I am pretty sure this meant they had overbooked as this seems to be a problem they have had before. The hotel they put us in for the first night was terrible. When they came and got us the next morning we were taken to a lovely room and the rest of our stay with them was terrific. The morning breakfast is very good with eggs to order, but the prepared bowl of scrambled eggs was cold and not very good. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Having our own gold fish in the room was a big plus. Special thanks to Harriet for her warm smile and ability to make our stay most pleasnat after a ridiculous first night.

1 Thank LarryS4
MaximilianHotel, Front Office Team at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Larry S,

Thank you for taking the time to post the above review on our TripAdvisor page, we truly appreciate your honest feedback regarding your recent stay at Maximilian Hotel. I would like to take the opportunity to once again apologise for the fact that we were unable to accommodate you for the first night of your stay and to kindly reinforce that our actions were due to unforeseeable technical issues within the hotel. On the contrary, it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed aspects of our breakfast and the company of one our goldfish! It was also wonderful to read that you mentioned that I was able to make the rest of your stay pleasant. We truly hope that you had a fantastic time exploring Prague and we hope that we will see you again!

Harriet George

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
SE Minnesota
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. Decent room and great location. Only complaint is the so-called double bed. I hate the 2 twin beds pushed together with a gap in the middle. Wifi was fine. Check out the Red Wheel restaurant that is nearby (ask for directions as it is on a side street).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
MaximilianHotel, Front Office Team at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear 427435,

Thank you for posting the above review on our TripAdvisor page. We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to share your feedback with us and we would like to apologise that the bed did not match your preferences. We wish that you had informed our reception during your stay so that we could have addressed this issue earlier. We truly hope that it was not an inconvenience and that you were still able to have a comfortable night´s sleep. On the other hand, it was fantastic to read your kind comments regarding our team and location. We sincerely hope you enjoyed your stay in Prague and we hope that we will see you again.

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Had a great stay for 5 days. Most impressive is the level of friendless of the entire, and I mean entire staff (manager of this hotel must be a very powerful leader...)

Stayed in the 'Red' section which doesn't have any view but assuming that you are touring around most of the day, this is fine.

Breakfast is great. The general design is on high modern level. Everywhere in the hotel you feel it's spotless with great upkeep and it all feels new, fresh with lots of consideration for detail.

A comment for guests that are traditional Jews: staff is trained and very helpful with Saturday's 'special needs'. Location is also within a couple minutes walk from main Jewish quarter restaurants and sites. We were also told that the (only) kosher bakery is also the supplier of breads at the hotel's breakfast, which is of course - a great advantage.

Room Tip: Want view? It seams that the Black building is the way to go. Red house is also accessible with 10...
Dear gdntmr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Maximilian Hotel. It was an absolute pleasure to read your kind feedback regarding the team and it is fantastic that we were able to meet all your needs during your stay. Furthermore, it is great to read that you enjoyed our central location, breakfast facilities and design of the hotel. We truly hope that you had a fantastic time in Prague and we hope that we will welcome you back again!

Kind Regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Just a few weeks ago I had a 5 night stay at the Maximilian Hotel, and then after 4 days in Český Krumlov I returned to the Maximilian Hotel for an additional 4 night stay. Right when I first arrived in Prague one of the managers Harriet was immediately helpful and professional, she gave me tips on what to see and do and places to eat. The other front desk manager Tomas was also extremely helpful and professional. Harriet, Tomas and the night manager were also very courteous and friendly and easy to talk to and get along with.

My room for my initial stay was in the "Red House," and though not quite large it was still very clean and cosy (as a solo traveler I'm fine with fairly small rooms). For my last stay I had a much larger room in the "Black House," with a sofa and an extremely large bed (very comfortable!). And I also loved the overall layout of the hotel. The breakfast room and garden were sleek and spacious, and I also loved the library and the drawing room, as both rooms were spacious, sleek and cosy all at once.

Breakfast was a delicious and hearty affair. The all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet offered a delicious and hearty range of hot and cold choices (the homemade pastries were divine!), there were a few days when I ate so much at breakfast that I was able to skip out on lunch!

The hotel is in an excellent location, in the Josefov district (right next to the Jewish Quarter and just a short walk to the Old Town Square). There are some excellent restaurants just a short walk to the hotel. I had delicious dinners at Lokal (I highly recommend Lokal, it's practically next door to the hotel), U Sroboku, The Red Wheel (English Translation), Kotr Restaurant and Kolkovna (the pork hock dish will fill you up for days!). The hotel is also very close to public transportation, just a few blocks away from the tram stop on Revolucni Street and a fairly short 10 minute walk (or less) to the Staromestska Metro station. Having spent a total of 9 days in Prague I absolutely took full advantage of the hotel's convenient and central location.

The one thing that comes to my mind is the professionalism, helpfulness and friendliness of the entire staff. As I mentioned the front desk managers Tomas, Harriet and the night manager were very helpful, courteous, friendly and very easy to get along with. Tomas was one of the managers who I would e-mail with questions and requests before I arrived in Prague. Sonia, who also managed the front desk and afternoon tea, was very professional, courteous and kind. The breakfast staff of Dmitiri and the others who I would see in the mornings at breakfast were very courteous and helpful. The night before I left, and the morning of my departure, I thanked as many of the front desk managers and staff as I could, they're a great group of people that I'm glad to have met.

To sum things up, I found the professionalism and service at the Maximilian Hotel to be above and beyond amazing. The staff definitely helped to make my wonderful time in Prague that much more enjoyable. Add the cosy and very comfortable rooms, the delicious breakfast, the complimentary cakes and coffee and tea, the central and convenient location, it's safe to say the Maximilian Hotel is an excellent choice. I highly recommend those who travel to Prague to stay at this wonderful home away from home, and if I ever return to Prague again (I sure hope I do!) I'll absolutely stay at the Maximilian.

Room Tip: My room in the "Black House," a Superior Deluxe, was quite large and spacious. And even th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MaximilianHotel, Manager at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear ED44SF,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post such an incredible and detailed review of your recent stay at Maximilian Hotel. It has been an absolute pleasure to read so many positive comments regarding the facilities at our hotel. Moreover, I am extremely pleased to read your fantastic feedback regarding the outstanding service that you experienced during your stay, it is wonderful to read that the professionalism of our team has exceeded your expectations. I will certainly share your generous comments with Harriet, Tomas, Sonia and Dmitri.

Furthermore, it is great to read that our central location was most convenient during your stay and that you were able to use this to your full advantage, easily accessing public transport, Old Town Square and the Jewish Quarter. In addition, it is also excellent to read that you enjoyed the design of the hotel and that the room was spacious and comfortable to meet your needs. I was also pleased in particular to read that you enjoyed our complimentary coffee and tea evenings and breakfast facilities. Once again, on behalf of the whole team, I sincerely hope that you enjoyed your stay in Prague and I hope that we will welcome you back in the near future!

Martin Jambor
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I have traveled to Europe four times in the past 6 years, visiting Rome, Positano, Sienna, Florence, Munich, Venice, Salzburg, Vienna and most recently Prague. And for the price, this has been the best hotel we've stayed in. Great location, friendly staff, wonderful breakfast buffet, clean rooms, queen sized bed (not two twins pushed together)--just very comfortable. Also, morning and evening coffee service in the lobby made this feel like we were back at home. This is a great hotel, everyone. You'll be glad you stayed here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MaximilianHotel, Front Office Team at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Bill A,

Thank you for taking the time to post the above review on our TripAdvisor page. We truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our breakfast, team and facilities and it is heart-warming to know that you felt at home within Maximilian Hotel. It is also fantastic to read that you enjoyed our central location. We truly hope that you had a great time in Prague and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed June 19, 2014

One of my favourite hotels to stay in Prague. The location is just perfect - close to the underground station, just few steps away from the Old Town and Charles Bridge. The hotel rooms are small but cosy, very modern and stylish, eqipped with everything which is needed, including high quality personal care cosmetics. I love the interior design there, it's very inspirational and lets the guests spend their time in a beautiful and relaxing environment. The breakfast offers you a la carte menu so you can order whatever you wish to nicely start the day. It's a pity I don't have much opportunity to come to Prague and Maximillian hotel more often nowadays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear KKate007,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Maximilian Hotel. It is truly a pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the interior design of the hotel and also the standard of facilities and services, including breakfast. Moreover, it is fabulous to read that our central location was most convenient during your stay. We hope that you enjoyed your stay in Prague and we hope that we will welcome you back soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Maximilian Hotel in early June 2014 as the first half of a 10-day trip (the second half revolved around a wedding in Italy) and we had an almost-excellent experience. This rating was a bit tough to give as this hotel is outstanding in some respects and a little behind in others. I can tell you that the service was spectacular and above/beyond expectations. No matter what time of day, if we needed tickets to the opera, a private car, or something as mundane as change (Czech ATMs only give 500 kroner notes) they took care of us and usually added recommendations (e.g. we initially asked about ballet tickets but they said that it was getting poor reviews and suggested the state opera instead). Small things like the "Honesty Bar" (open bar near the lobby where you take what you want and sign your room number) made this hotel feel warm yet professional. For those reasons I would highly recommend this hotel, especially for anyone who may need some help navigating Prague.

The minus points are all relatively small but they should not be overlooked. Our room (one of the superior ones) was a bit tired, with carpet worn in places and hairline cracks in bathroom tiles. The hotel manager (Martin) mentioned in an email that they are replacing the carpet so that may be improved by the time this is posted. One other thing with the room that was a bit perplexing for a hotel that gets so much right is that lack of power outlets. All are in use and none are convenient for charging phones (I expect to have outlets near the bed). Room cleaning was also hit or miss - one day no large towels were left, another day a plate was missed.

Ultimately, I would highly recommend this hotel to those with limited Eastern European experience - the location and service make this an easy choice. Personally, if I return to Prague, I'll probably try another hotel, simply because I like variety and there are so many well-reviewed choices.

Room Tip: I can't give a recommendation, but I can say that I was surprised that my room right by the elev...
Dear ptdrake,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful and detailed review on our TripAdvisor page. We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to evaluate your stay at Maximilian Hotel in such depth. Firstly, we would like to thank you for your warm comments regarding the team. It was an absolute pleasure to read that the service was beyond your expectations and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments. Furthermore, we were also pleased to hear that you appreciated the concept of our Honesty Bar and that you were able to make use of it during your stay.

Moreover, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the minor issues that you encountered during your stay. We have informed the relevant departments and we hope that it was not an inconvenience. We truly hope that you enjoyed your time in Prague and we hope that we will see you again!