“Very cool hotel”

Ranked #30 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Vancouver, Canada
“Very cool hotel”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was the best hotel I stayed in on my recent 6-country trip through Eastern Europe.

First, the location is good: right in Old Town but not on an obnoxiously crowded square. There are stores and restaurants (and a huge beer hall called Lokal) within the block.

Second, the hotel itself is cool. The rooms aren't large but they're well appointed and decorated with good taste. And there are all sorts of nice touches. My room had an espresso maker in it. You can request a pet gold fish for the length of your stay. The room came with a huge comfy robe and slippers. The wifi was excellent.

Third, the service was great. The people at the front desk were tremendous; the cleaning staff were not intrusive. And the breakfast buffet was the best I had in all my travels. They had a bit of everything.

There is access to a spa and fitness centre, but I didn't use them. There are two lounges, one for smokers, that have an "honour bar" so you can grab a drink and just sign for it.

I didn't want to leave. I will definitely return to this hotel the next time I'm in Prague.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank budra
maximilianhotel, Manager at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you very much for taking time to write review. It is very nice to read such a good feedback.
I hope I will have chance to see you in Maximilian in future again.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Definitely one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Extremely friendly staff. Great design, neat and minimalistic. Good size room. Very clean. Amazing breakfast buffet. Great location. Great value for money. We highly recommend it.

1 Thank goldfish04
Thank you for your stay in Maximilian. Thank you for your time which you took to write this review.

Finland
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Hotel is situated in very good location, only 5 minutes walk from Astronomical clock and about 10 minutes from Charles bridge. Breakfast was excellent and lounge areas were very nice. But then, what comes to room and service...We booked 4 nights and stayed at red house on 6th floor (superior deluxe room 647). It was far away from deluxe. Expectations were high, cause the hotel is part of Small Luxury Hotels of the World and that's the reason we booked this hotel. Floor carpet was very dirty and there were stale smell at the room. In first night we also had problems with air condition system. There were freezing cold in our room. The controlpanel didn't work at all. When we called reception (had to do it twice before somebody came to our room at 11 pm). They were quite rude to us and just turned air condition off and told us "hopefully it will be better"...Well, it helped, but at the morning stale smell was very bad. Then we complained once again in the morning, then finally they got it work (as well as broken shower, which was showering towards the wall). They didn't also warn us "rush hours" of showering times and during showering water pressure went down and there came no water at all, it was not so nice, when having shampoos on hair...We called the reception once again (because didn't know about the rush hours) and got answers "just wait for 20 minutes, then it will be better...well my hair was pure clean after that waiting..). There were also lacks in cleaning. They didn't replace vanity kits or coffee creamer when those were used. At the time of checking out, they were not interested in how we had enjoy our stay at Maximilian at all. When we told once again about things that happened during our stay, there were only sorry and we got the feeling that they just wanted us to leave.. There were no compensation at all during our stay. We wonder, how this hotel can be part of SLH with this level of service and rooms, but maybe we just faced persons with bad day and got the worst superior deluxe room, what they got.... Overall stay there was far away from expectations.

2 Thank FinlandHeidiL
Thank you very much for your review. Unfortunatelly, as I can see we did not satisfy you at all. I remember one day when we had a water pressure problem on the six floor last week . There was actually problem in the whole city centre of Prague that morning. It doesnt make any excuse , I just wanted to mention it.

It is absolutelly unacceptable how the reception staff dealt with the situation and surely action will be taken to make sure it won't happen again.

I will be personally happy to invite you again to Maximilian and show to you that we can do it in a different way as you can read on most of our reviews. We are truly focusing on the high level of service and I hope you will have a chance in the future to experience it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

jersey city nj
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I had a very brief stay the Maximilian. It was long enough for me to be reassured that when I return to the enchanting Prague, I will be staying there again. My room was on the small side --I was by myself so it was not an issue for me. The bed comfy, the bathroom clean and modern. I requested a non-smoking room. Which they told me it was...i was however, not on the designated non-smoking floor and as you walk through the small hall it had the unpleasant stale smoke smell. My room smelled a bit as well...I did ask the front desk about it and they offered to move me....it wasn't that bad so I stayed...but if you are sensitive make sure to ask to stay on the non-smoking floor... I would say the only other issue with the room was no alarm clock!! It would be really nice as a traveler to have a clock in the room with the time.....
The breakfast was fantastic...fresh, bountiful and included with the price of the room...very impressed.
The staff were very professional and very nice....
I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank marlo93
CALIFORNIA
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the second time within a year. LOVE THIS PLACE. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are very comfortable and clean. The breakfast is THE BOMB. One of the best breakfast I have had in my business and vacation travels. The hotel staff wants to make sure you are happy during your stay and will take care of any issues - if you have any.
Will be back again to visit Prague and will be looking forward to our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Stolberg, Germany
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Overall a very pleasant stay, excellent friendly and discreet staff, small and cozy sitting area, free wifi, free coffee and tea with biscuits, free mineralwater, excellent breakfast in the light "Wintergarden" with fresh orange juice and meal to order.
The room is medium-sized, the bathroom well appointed. Two drawbacks: One of the electric shutters did not work and the curtain did not darken the room sufficiently; solution: A curtain that really keeps the light out. There is no closed wardrobe but only open shelves with our socks and underwear on display. I would suggest an easy solution: A roller blind which can be pulled down over the shelves if desired.
When we complained about the shutters, the manager offered to upgrade us and sent a bottle of sparkling wine to our room.
Modern and tasteful, yet the corridor to the rooms looks more like a back entrance. The famous architect who designed the hotel probably wanted to be original...
A pleasant boutique hotel in the center of the old town with many restaurants of which we highly recommend "Nostress" in the vicinity.

1 Thank HelgaKatharina
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Maximilian Hotel was sleek and modern, clean and comfortable. It was close to Old Town Square- 5 minutes walking distance, but removed enough to be quiet at night for a peaceful sleep. We went on the buy two, get one night free deal and liked it so much we came back for two separate one night stays later in our trip. Fabulous breakfast buffet included, and even the things on the menu were no extra charge. Free wifi, free to-go espresso in the lobby in the morning, free juice and delicious flavored water in the afternoon, and great and friendly staff. When we left and it was raining the lobby staff even offered us free umbrellas to take away. Side note- they can sell you metro tickets here and add it )no padded charge) to your bill. This is convenient if you have only large bills or no change for the machines at the stations. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank VacationFromBoston
maximilianhotel, Manager at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you.
Come back to us again in September or October where the weather is quite steady and Prague is lovely in autumn. We will do our best to make your stay perfect.

Martin Jambor , Operations Manager