“Worth the visit if you have the time”
Review of Prague Castle

Ranked #8 of 956 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest castle in Europe contains more than seven hundred rooms.
Cobble Hill, Canada
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Worth the visit if you have the time”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Huge place, interesting walk around, scenic views across city of Prague, historically interesting church, impressive architecture, extremely busy place, much activity. We saw some amazing classical musicians busking in the square - probably the best quality concert presentation of our tour in both Prague and Vienna. We didn’t take the guided tour and I wish we had as it would have been even more interesting.

Visited October 2013

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Castle Time”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

A definite must see when in Prague and pay for a guded tour since you really get your moneys worth hearing first hand of all the history and significance of each and every building. Photos of the changing of the guards inside the Castle walls goes without saying.....

Visited November 2013
Hertfordshire
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Perhaps overrated”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I think I'm about to be a bit controversial eek. First of all I would just like to say if you are going to Prague don't miss it, it's obviously a main tourist sight and although I felt it was perhaps a bit overrated (I keep thinking I surely must have missed something!) I would recommend you go and form your own opinion.

St. Vitus Cathedral inside is stunning! And I would give that 5 stars. Also the views of the city from certain points inside the castle area are phenomenal. However. as far as castles go, this is hardly one of Europe’s greats.

We opted for the ‘’short trip’’ which allowed us in to four rather than 7 of 8 of the buildings. In all honesty I would say not to bother with the paid aspects, we didn't feel we got anything extra from the parts we paid for. It really is worth noting that you can walk around the grounds for free, including going in to the Cathedral (albeit a roped off part at the back which will give you limited views). We ended up staying about an hour and a half, so I’m astounded at how people could say you need a day or more to appreciate the space.

The palace itself is very austere and as much was roped off. We saw the changing of the guards (we loved their uniforms) and walked through. Towards the end we went inside a toy museum where we learned all about the history of Barbie...random (though I loved it). The castle is a fairly large complex to navigate (it looks huge and amazing from the outside by the way, especially from the top of the astronomical clock). I also liked the walk up to the castle and down from the castle...though on the way down I got snarled at by a homeless man because I didn't give him any money.

All in all and on European standards, very ordinary. It's worth going if you are in Prague, but in my opinion (and one which evidently many people below disagree with :) ) not one of the highlights.

Visited November 2013
Singapore, Singapore
311 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We cycled up here in the scorching heat, and were sure it wasn't going to be worth it. It was. There's just so much to see and learn about the castle. Not to mention the great views of the city down below. We didn't get to go in because there was some official state event, but even staying outside was fascinating enough. Make sure you either read up, or have a guide explain the significance of the place to you.

Visited May 2013
Berlin, Germany
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good walk through”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

It's more a village than a castle but it gives lots of variety. You will need a couple of hours to walk through and we got a short visit ticket between 3 of us and did a couple of things each. You can enter the cathedral without a ticket which ia a must.