“Disappointing to say the least!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Essence - CLOSED

Essence
Cuisines: International, Mediterranean, European, Central European
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Essence restaurant is based on a high quality food prepared only from fresh ingredients according to original recipes. The meals are simple and just based on used foodstatuffs and ingredients. Selection of high quality wines, friendly and nice atmosphere, helpful and well-informed service are the basic characteristics. We prepare for you birthday party, corporate party, wedding or graduation in buffet or served meals style. Essence restaurant is located just 10 minutes from downtown and it is very easy to get there. We believe that you enjoy not only fabulous food but also relaxing atmosphere in which you want to return. We look forward to your visit!
England
“Disappointing to say the least!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Having read the raving reviews on Trip Adviser this restaurant had to be on our list when we visited Prague over Christmas. We were so looking forward to it but boy was it a let down. It was so average we almost thought it must be the wrong place! Sadly it wasn't. The food was bland and poorly presented. The place had absolutely no atmosphere - the lighting was really bright and it was more like a cafe/diner than a restaurant. It is far from being a special restaurant or hidden gem. It is probably an OK place for a lunch with friends but not a place for couples and it was certainly not worth the taxi trip out of town.

1 Thank ShootingStar100

• Greek first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

A small, relatively new restaurant that exceeded any expectations we may have had before hand. Located in Zizkov, a somewhat bohemian area located east of the city centre that is, in itself, well worth visiting, Essence was one of the highlights of my 3-night stay in Prague. The service was very attentive and our waitress was particularly chatty and pleasant, the chef himself even came to our table to ask how we found the meal. Neither myself nor my girlfriend could find anything bad to say about the food. The foie-gras creme brulee was unlike anything I had eaten before, try it. Levels of texture and taste that I thought belonged only in the michelin-starred kitchens of Paris and Lyon. My flank steak was cooked rare to perfection and was accompanied by a black truffle demi-glace possessing a depth in flavour that stood up beautifully against the somewhat offaly flank. We drank a fruity red from Moravia that followed the trend of pleasantly surprising that was being set. Yes, the decor could be slightly more refined, although it is by no-means "tacky" as some have commented, give this place a chance because it has only been open around 11-months. To me, Essence is providing an honestly priced, high-dining experience for those in Prague that truly appreciate good food, whether locals or tourists. This is all the more admirable when you think of the places a couple of miles down the road in the old town providing sub-standard food at truly astronomical prices.

1 Thank jconnolly91
Moscow, Russia
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was one of the best experiences during my 2-weeks trip in Europe! The atmosphere is very cosy, the staff is perfect, the food is really something outstanding! Do not even hesitate to choose the restaurant! Itis not a touristic place, but it is definitely the place where everyone will be warmly welcomed. Better book in advance for the evening.
I must say that it is quiete a distance to walk from the city centre, better take the tram.

1 Thank Henhouse_star
San Francisco, California
“What a great restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

After being in airports with delays, I called Essence from Frankfurt to move our reservation to 9 pm. No problem since they knew we were coming in from San Francisco. I've read so many great reviews here on the restaurant that my expectations were pretty high. Martin, the owner and chef, did not disappoint! The best roasted duck my husband ever had and he's picky. My daughter had flank steak and she know her steaks - she ate it all. Ihad a vegetarian dish I wish I could make. Daniel, the gentleman who waited on us, was very nice and recommended this Moravino Czech wine that was really good. We loved the bright atmosphere and friendliness of the staff. This should be listed as one of the top restaurants in Prague. ThAt was our first dinner in Prague, Christmas eve. So for xChristmas, Dec. 25, we went to a highly rated, expensive, restaurant for dinner and my husband ordered their roast duck. The verdict: Essence was better and almost half the price! We are going back when our friends get here (in Prague).

1 Thank cfrie500
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

By far one f the greatest food experiences I've ever had. Despite the somewhat tacky decor the food was no less then amazing, but what really hit the spot (aside from the rich chocolate cake with homemade warm vanilla custard) was the excellent service-minded staff. They were so charming and helpful that we could have easily stayed another three hours if not for the fact that the three course meal pretty much sent us straight to bed with a fond memory of this great pearl.

2 Thank Adam R