“Total waste of time”

$209.00*
Private Custom Half-Day Tour of Prague
Ranked #163 of 513 Tours in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: How will you visit Prague? With expats, or with true NATIVES? On paid tours, or on FREE, pay-what-you-want, services? Lucie, Oleg and Vera are native borns of Prague. We share our city. We do not give you a standard tourist product, we treat you like a visiting friend, sharing our city's secrets along with its famed landmarks. Our Discover Walks tours are fun, informative and personal, so you feel part of Prague. Our group tours are free of price - you pay what you want. Private, paid tours are also available. We now also have a Night Tour. 3 free tours to choose from - Old Town, Charles Bridge & Kampa isle, and the Castle. We also offer a Night Tour. All tours are easy and comfortable, in intimate, small groups, in English, and run every day run or shine.
Bucharest, Romania
“Total waste of time”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We've done the Castle Free Walking tour with Barbara. One of the worst tours we've done. The guide seemed pretty unsure regarding the information she was transmiting. It is called castle tour but we started very far from it and we've seen the castle complex for about 15 minutes only.

Visited September 2012
DiscoverWalks, Owner at Discover Walks Prague, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Ours was your worst tour ever, and a total waste of time? Harsh words, and I am so sorry you and your husband felt this way, Ana.

Regarding the itinerary, our entire Castle Tour, from start to finish, is actually on Castle territory - the largest in the world (maybe that is the reason for your confusion?).

As a matter of fact, I am proud to say our tour features the "front window" of the castle of course, but also the "backstage" portion: the political prison, the servant quarters etc., so visitors get a fuller understanding of the place and its meaning, and how power has been exerciced over time.

The Landmarks AND the People of Prague, the past AND the present, that is what we try and give our guests.

As for Barbara, she is one of our best guides, so I am not sure what to say. And this is not just my opinion, Members on this site keep complimenting her?

So I regret this misunderstanding, and hope you won't hold this "total waste of time" against Prague overall, and you will visit the City of 100 Spires again in the not so distant future.

With best wishes.

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Discover Walks FREE Prague tours”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I took advantage of the Discover Walks free walking tours of Prague. My family and I participated in the Old Town tour with Jacob/Jakub and then a week later we did Prague Castle with Eva D. We were more than satisfied with both tours. Both Jacob and Eva were knowledgable, excited, fun and interesting guides who gave us both formal and informal information about the different parts of Prague. It was nice at the end when they did not push, but suggested a donation amount for the service. Both tours were very memorable, and I am excited to return to Prague and do them again (as well as "Magical Prague.") Thank you so much, Eva and Jacob!!

Visited August 2012
Haifa, Israel
“excellent”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We took the tour of Prague castle with Jakub, discovered from a pamphlet that we took from the Old Town Hall. Jakub gave us a wonderful tour, filled with lots of information. In addition, since he is a local guide, he added personal stories and told us about life in Prague in general, and was humorous. Everything was very personable, and Jakub made an effort to talk to everyone, making it feel like a personal tour, and not at all like a history book. At the end, our tour guide gave a little summary, which really helped us remember more about the history behind what we had seen. In addition, he was able to suggest places to visit, good Czech restaurants, etc.
It should be realized that this tour was free/tip-based - it's not really free, rather you decide how much to pay based on how good you think the guide was. I think that this may cause the tour to be better, however, it was very clear that Jakub was doing his work as a guide simply out of love of the city.
I would highly recommend this tour company to anyone visiting Prague.

Visited September 2012
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Great Tours...wonderful guides”
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

We decided to take the Charles Bridge Tour with Martina to see how the quality of the tours were since it was a no cost/tip based tour. It was amazing. So much history imparted but infused with humour and personal stories, it gave you the impression of taking a tour with an old friend you haven't seen in a while. Once the tour was finished we decided immediately to take the Prague Castle tour with Eva. Another great tour but a bit tough to hear Eva as she a bit more soft spoken than Martina. No less charming though. We had plans for the 3rd tour the next day but unfortunately did not make it.
Ok...so tipping:
As an FYI, we tipped $400 kc ($20)for my wife and I. When deciding how much to give consider how much you enjoyed the tour and then consider how much other tours cost per person. I watched one couple tip Martina 100kc for 2 people. Really...$2.50 per person for a 1hr45min tour? Shameful. Karma will catch up to you.

Montreal
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

"Discover Walks" are so much better than those "tours for a fee" that typically feature a guide following a script. We took the Old Town tour with Karel and the Charles Bridge/Kampa District tour with Martina. Unfortunately, we took a wrong turn on the way to the Prague Castle one and ran out of time. This was my only disappointment over the course of our time in this magnificent city, as I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the perspective these Prague natives gave to our walks, the former Communist regime, Czech "fashion" sense, etc. We saw the castle and the surrounding area on our own, but I can't help but think that we missed out on a lot.

At the end of Martina's tour, I was horrified to see fellow Canadians give her only a five dollar tip, as it was worth so much more. How PATHETIC. Just because it's "free" doesn't mean one should perceive this kind of opportunity as a means to save money because frankly the experience was priceless.

I will definitely check out "Discover Walks" in other cities and am truly hoping to get back to Prague one day to take the Old Town tour that we missed.

Visited July 2012