“Well located but very basic and sparse including customer service”

Charles Bridge Palace
Ranked #210 of 651 Hotels in Prague
“Well located but very basic and sparse including customer service”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Don't expect much from this hotel. It's clean it's well located and has plenty of very hot water but that's really all it has going for it. The rooms are very basic and offer no tea/coffee facilities but there was a bar fridge in our room. We booked a room with a river view and got the courtyard side of the building. Breakfast is typical European fare, meats, cheeses, breads, cereals etc and a lovely selection of very old bruised and rotting fruit. The staff are apathetic and seem to have lost the will to live although if you smiled and politely engaged them in conversation or asked for information they appeared more than happy to help. One of the biggest disappointments of this establishment was the wifi. We could not pick it up unless we were in the lobby or the dining room and even then it was excruciating slow. Your better off using 3G. If you stay here do yourself a favour and download any movies onto you devices before you come if that is something you want to do.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Hotel, is nice, great area. Medium breakfast. Hotel has been renovated not long ago, it is in a good shape, it is worth for to try. It is basic, not expect much, but I would stay again and recommend, but not expect much. All the advert is not very real.

• Stayed November 2012
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I just returned from staying 3 nights at the Charles Bridge Palace in Prague. I was hesitant to book this hotel, as there were only 5 reviews on the internet at my time of booking and I normally base my travel plans on an extensive amount of reviews. There are now 15 and the only true ones are the poor rated ones, which I can now confirm. I suspect that the other reviews may have been written by the hotel employees/managers after my experience. After a taxi wanted to charge us quadruple the appropriate fair from the train station, we lugged 4 suitcases through the cobble stone streets to the hotel (which the front of the hotel is not really on Anenska!). Upon checking in, the woman went over the pricing with me, which was in Euros (which was odd since the national currency is crowns). She then explained that my credit card would be charged in crowns and told me the exchange rate - no big deal as I have an international credit card and that's the currency used there. However, once we went out on the street and saw what the exchange rate was, we realized that she had charged us a fee to use the credit card by charging an additional 3 Euros per crown, which amounts to a lot of money (however this was not explained at the time of booking, on the website, or in person). When I confronted her, she insisted that she told me there was a fee for credit card usage - she did not tell me.
Getting back to our room....they first gave us a room on the 4th floor, which smelt like gross curry. The bedroom was also up a flight and a half of stairs. After lugging our suitcases over an hour through the streets, the last thing we wanted to do was lug them upstairs. Plus, I could not stand the scent of the room. We asked them for a regular double room since we didn't need a suite, but they said the cost would be the same. However, I had been quoted 123 Euros for the double and my travel agent booked a junior suite for 167 Euro for some reason. So I obviously knew there was a cheaper double room. They then changed us to a 1st floor (really second floor in Europe) room with a beautiful view of the water (or so we thought). The room was much smaller and on one level, which was fine since it was just the 2 of us, but there still should have been a room rate decrease. We then tried to make the room cooler with the air conditioner, but couldn't figure it out, so I called the front desk. Her answer was that it was central AC only and that if we wanted it cooler, we had to call the front desk. How on earth can you satisfy 15 different rooms at once and still advertise that the hotel has air conditioning? This wound up being one of the many problems as our room was so hot at night. When I called the desk, their answer was that someone else on the floor requested to make the floor hotter. Now for the biggest problem, NIGHT...there is a strip club right downstairs from the hotel (almost below our room) called "Night Gym" and a couple of clubs right across the street. Therefore, your hotel room is basically in the club with drunk people screaming outside, running across the very busy road, and keeping you up all night. The road outside the hotel is enough noise by itself with the trams and cars flying by, horns honking, sirens, etc. Combine the noise with the heat in the room and you have the appropriate cocktail to stay up all night.
For some smaller problems: there was gum and hair smeared on the wall next to the sofa bed, which was really gross. We slept on the sofa bed because the bedroom did not have a TV in it and we needed something to help drown out the noise outside. Our room also was either next to or below a dryer or something that made constant noise and rattling. The drain in our shower didn't drain, so you took a shower while standing in dirty water which overflowed out of the shower stall. Breakfast was not the greatest....flavorless pastries, salami, pepperoni, hot dogs, cheese. Better off at McDonalds.

So your self a favor and stay elsewhere, even if the cost is a little higher. It will be worth it in the end....trust me!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room with a view, on the main road. More specifically, do not choose any room in thi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank flip2up
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The building is old, but the hotel is new, opened in January, so they are still working out some bugs, but it was very enjoyable. The room was nicely decorated and very large with a view of the Vltava river. Because you are in the heart of the tourist district there can be some noise at night, but I did not have any trouble sleeping there. There is wi-fi in the room and other communal areas, but sometimes it was very spotty and did not always work very fast. The pipes were being worked on and were noisy at times, but they seemed to have that worked out by the time we checked out. The front desk staff was very accommodating and helpful, they arranged a taxi in the morning and even packed a breakfast for us as we were leaving before breakfast started. I liked the hotel breakfast and found plenty to eat that I liked, especially the open faced sandwiches, but my husband thought it was not as good as other hotels we had been to in CZ. They could use to add a trash can in the bedroom as the only one was a small one in the bath and it got full quickly. Also, they did not have facial tissue which I think a hotel of this stature would have. The location cannot be beat, it is right near the charles bridge with easy access to the castle and Mala Strana as well as Old Town and Wensaslas Square.

Room Tip: If you choose a river view be aware that that is the street side, so could be noisy with people at n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Outstanding hotel with very large rooms. Reception, dining room all spacious & far above what is expected for the price. On the top floor we even had a suite with lounge in addition to bedroom with 2 bathrooms, ideal for family or 2 sets of couples.

• Stayed March 2012
Cork
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel is a very beautiful building but it has major sound/noise and plumbing problems. The breakfast is absolutely horrible. One morning they had no tea, brown apples, stale cake, toaster that sometimes does not work, eggs that taste like sugar is added - really very bad. We stayed in an apartment type room on the top floor. The room was large but the room upstairs had paper thin walls and I could not sleep there. You could hear everything next door including even the sound of people using the loo - not pleasant as you can imagine!!! I had to sleep downstairs on the sofa bed. There was a dirty dusty rug lying on the floor which I rolled up and kept under stairs. The room did not have a view of anything except the sky as the window was so high up. You could climb up and sit on the window ledge to see the view across the river which we did all the time. Noise of nightclub all night. Lovely female staff but one not so nice male staff with glasses and dark skin - very very unfriendly and unhelpful - not to confuse with very nice older man who was lovely. Location is great right in the middle of it all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DotCork
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The hotel is newly renovated so there aren't many reviews. We were worried at first but we liked it's location.
The hotel was a wonderful surprise!
The location is amazing! It's right on the Charles Bridge and we walked to all the main sites in Prague.
The rooms are very very nice, clean and have a big bathroom, safe and small fridge.
The breakfest is simple but more than enough.
The staff were very kind, helped us a lot.
There is free wifi and a computer in the lobby.

I truly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: There are rooms with smaller bathroom, you can ask the hotel for one with a big bathroom if it matte...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple