“Very delicious foods and reasonable price”
Review of Stara Doba

Stara Doba
Ranked #1,055 of 5,787 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I visit this restaurant in Prague near the dancing building on 9th of July. First of all ,from the outside of the restaurant it wasn't an attractive one but after we went into the down stair non smoking area we found it has so many characters of it's own. I order a ham shank with the horse radish sauce and jam, a big glass of Cezch beer, my partner orders rabbit and beer . Foods are excellent. Out side of the basement the restaurant has out door sitting area for smoking guests. The staffs are very helpful and speak English very well. If you like to try the Cezch cuisines then you have to come here to try. A glass of beer only 1 UK pound. and my 75o gm ham shank with sauce just coast me less than 5 pound. I would like to visit this restaurant again when I visit Prague next time.

1  Thank kenhsieh5555

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The food and atmosphere definitely rate 4 stars but the service, and what happened at the end of our meal lower the rating to 2. This restaurant has a lovely garden seating area in the back, but unfortunately all the tables were reserved so we sat inside. It's a little dark and probably very cozy in the winter, but it was ok for the summer too! Our food was very tasty and the prices were reasonable - we started with blue cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers with our beers. We had a nice, inexpensive red wine with our dinner which our server recommended (all the wines were the same price) the goulash was delicious, the gnocchi with salmon was delicious, the pig's knuckle was good, but don't bother with the boar ribs unless you like your meat very chewy. The service was so-so, but the disturbing part was we were overcharged by 600ck ( about $30 USD ). Luckily, we realized what had happened before we left the restaurant. As others have warned, keep track of what you order, carry a phrase book if you need to translate items on the check, and question anything that looks a bit odd.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place in New Town that served quality Czech food at reasonable prices, and Stara Doba seemed at first to be a good choice.

The food and beer were pretty good. I had the wild boar ribs, which was our least favorite, but other good dishes were the salmon gnocchi, the goulash, and the pork knuckle.

Service was rather poor, except the nice gentleman who came over and gave us a great wine recommendation.

The big kicker came when we got our bill. We were charged for 24 beers, totalling up to about 800 kr!! This was the last item on the bill, and it was all in Czech, so we weren't sure what the massive charge could be. We actually paid before we realized the trick, and went back and confronted our server. She said she was sorry, though I'm not sure if that was genuine or just sorry that they didn't get away with it.

1  Thank AYachanin
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was rated 318 in Prague when I wrote this, apparently the location means, its not been found yet. We popped in for lunch and were treated to the best meal in Prague, the atmosphere is awesome, the staff was helpful, and friendly, and the food was plentiful, and very tasty. I wish I had found it earlier in our visit. Definitely worth the walk if your staying in old town. Just behind the Dancing house, so there's something else to bring you nearby.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

we arrive prague quite late and stay on merlin where just right on top of stara doba so seems the best choice to have dinner. must sit underground very nice environment and the waiter was vrry nice. i had pork and bef with beer, jusr remember i had a very satisity evening over there