“The best tour of Prague you will (or won't) find”
Review of Taste Of Prague

Taste Of Prague
Ranked #3 of 128 Food & Drink in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The idea behind the Taste of Prague food tours is simple. You follow a local foodie. You eat the best dishes in Prague’s best restaurants frequented by the locals and talk about what you eat and why, and how the food, wine and beer reflects the society, the country and its history and present. We keep our tours fresh, small and personal. Come hungry. Stretch pants optional, but recommended.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I think the percentage of EXCELLENT reviews is a pretty good indicator of the quality of this tour. I've been studying film in Prague for the last two months and was recommended the tour by a friend in my program. The tour is too pricey for a college student's budget, but when my dad came in for a visit, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to (at the very least) get some good eats.

We had gone on another, more touristy 6-hour tour the day before, which had been a let down. Living here, I'd seen pretty much all the sites we went to on that tour and the guide did not seem very into it. Her jokes were obviously rehearsed and I could tell this was about the millionth time she was stating every fact. She wore a microphone and held a flag so we could keep track of her, as the group was about 15-20 people.

The Taste of Prague tour could not have been more different. Jan and Zuzi conduct the tour, as they say, "as a conversation between friends". They utilized well-polished iPad visual presentations to show cool facts and pictures of the city, focusing on topics like the political significance of Wenceslas square or the history of Czech currency. While they clearly had a plan, it did not feel stale and rehearsed. They were very open to candid discussions on their own personal lives and experiences under the communist rule of the USSR. For every question I had, they had an answer, an explanation, and a recommendation.

While the places they took us were fairly proximal to many of Prague's classic sites (W. Square, Charles Bridge, etc), they were off the beaten path and not what one would call "tourist hotspots". We went to a fantastic steakhouse, a popular deli, a historic pastry cafe, and a cozy little wine bar with local Czech wines. Like I said, I'd already been here for 2 months. I had walked by most of these spots countless times without noticing them.

It's the personal touch that really set this tour apart from any other I've been on. Jan and Zuzi clearly like doing this. It's THEIR company and they go to a lot of trouble to make sure this experience goes smoothly. Every restaurant you go to has a table already reserved for you (it's clear that they maintain a good relationship with each establishment's staff/management). They give you presents and even more recommendations at the end of the tour, and to top it all off they send you a personalized email detailing everything you ate, did, and talked about during the day. My email also included detailed information on other topics I had asked about. The two of them make it clear that they consider their relationship with you to extend beyond the four hour time window you spend together and encourage further communication. Since I live in Prague, that's an especially sweet bonus. They even went so far as to offer me help looking for a filming location for my upcoming thesis project.

The tour is intimate. The food is tasty. The company is comfortable and welcoming. And what's more, you won't find this tour's pamphlet in your hotel lobby. The pair likes giving tours to those who take the time to do some research or are lucky enough to have the experience recommended by another satisfied guest. There are only three guides and the groups are small. It's no wonder they barely even advertise. Consider yourself lucky you even heard about this. If you've got the cash, this tour is what you wanna do during your time in Prague.

3  Thank 7AM_BJB
Write a ReviewReviews (2,098)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

we love to do non-touristy things on our tours, and this is definitely one to talked about! we were taken to sample 4 eateries, each serving a very different piece of Czech's culinary culture. we loved the experience, the little excursions and all the stories jan and karolina brought us. luckily we did this at the start of our time in prague, and got really great tips for food and shopping =) thanks again team, it was a great time!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just have to concur with all the reviews below. This trip is just about perfect. Great food, Great drink and wonderful Hosts Jan and Karolina. I recommend taking this trip at the start of your vacation so you will taste a wide range of Czech food before you are confronted with other
menus !

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Would recommend this tour but it is very expensive. Enjoyed the history lessons and the personal touch of our guides. Delighted with the presentations and the humor. A winning combination of exploring different places around town with samples plus getting an understanding of the cultural. Take the tour early in your stay in Prague to get the best useful tips.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The tour really made our stay in Prague the wonderful experience it was. Carolina and Jan were great guides (although they probably would not call themselves "guides") - very personable, funny and charming. The food was excellent. This was not the first food tour of my life but it sure was the one with the highest quality of food served. I totally believed Jan when he said they had no behind-the-back deals with the owners of the restaurants we visited.
But this is more than a food tour. It's also a great learning experience. I totally did not expect that but it added another dimension to the tour. I learned so much about Czechoslovakia and Communism on a really personal level through the histories and stories of Jan and Carolina. I recommend you take the tour early into your stay. At the end of the tour we got a map of local things to see, taste and buy. Jan and Carolina were also very helpful with other tips. Everybody also gets a small gift at the end of the tour, and it's a clever gift at that. I absolutely loved the tour and will take it again when I come back to Prague later this year with my family.