“Tourist trap.”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Hradcany & Letna
Reviewed October 7, 2013

In spite the location - with a view over the nearby park - the competent service, and the elegant decoration this is quite a tourist trap. Food is, at best, average and prices are a bit inflated.
At the end of the meal, a slight sour taste may come to the mouth: the overcharging bill comes with a very loud red stamp instructing the untrained costumer to the fact that “service not included” and that the customary gratuity is of 10%. Adding insult to injury (or perhaps to mitigate the growing number of complaints to this behavior) we were “kindly” presented with a 10% discount for the next visit... I believe in gratuity, but don’t like to feel coerced to do it.

I would not go as far as to not recommend this venue, let’s just say, close by, and with similar views, you can find far more interesting alternatives.

3  Thank damenax
There are newer reviews for Host Restaurant

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I went here because a blogger had mentioned that they were gluten-free friendly. They were aware of what a gluten-allergy was but weren't particularly "friendly" in the sense that they had options that did not require amendments. The food was good - we ordered an appetizer that was very small and our meals were good. The restaurant is situated on a vista on a hill above the Prague Castle so the view of the city was very nice. If I was in Prague longer I wouldn't go out of my way to go here again though.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just happened apon this little restaurant on our way back from the Strahov Monastery one afternoon this summer. I always look for restaurants that are tucked away and away from the crowds. This was a great find. It's a lovely little restaurant very nicely decorated. Contemporary simple and elegant. The windows and ceiling slide away at the push of a button, so if you want to be in the shade or sun its your choice as the ceiling is separated into segments where one segment can be closed and another open. Obviously designed by an Enginner with an eye for design. There are lovely views of the city and at night I would expect it would be spectacular. We had a light meal but the food was excellent. Beer was great too. One of the owners was serving us and she was lovely and attentive. My only disappointment was that I found this gem on our last day in Prague. I would definitely have returned for a full dinner had we had more time. Next time for I will make a point of it.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stopped in to hOST on a rainy evening. We were the only people in the place for a little bit due to the gloomy weather. The restaurant is SUPER cozy, which I like. Good menu, excellent house wine. We both ordered and there was a misunderstanding with my traveling partner's food. Our server took the entree back to the kitchen and was mimicking the misunderstood words. Either she's an actress, didn't care, or did not know that we could see and hear her mimicking us in the kitchen. The most amazing part was, when she came back out---she was very nice to us despite what I watched in the kitchen.

Either way, the food was decent , and the wine was great. The sky cleared and we could see the city under the setting sun and there was even a rainbow thrown in for giggles. I'd recommend if you have thick skin and don't care about service. The ambiance could be worth it.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Tucked away down a little stairway/alley, this quiet and well appointed little restaurant has a wide menu and good wine list. Wonderful views over the city, and on a balmy evening with the roof open, really rather special. Great service, cold beer, good house wines: we had the special burger, salads, and roast duck, followed by a killer chocolate confection. Most acceptable. Not cheap, but unhurried and relaxed. Just for a drink it's well worth a visit.

1  Thank tonya999