“Best Indian food I have tried outside India”

Lal Qila The Indian Restaurant
Ranked #352 of 5,853 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vinohrady & Vrsovice
Description: Lal Qila, the people choice best rated Indian restaurant in Prague with the same old flavor of Indian food. We are trying hard to give the best and worth of money to our guest's by our taste of food and with our services. We named the restaurant on behalf of Red Fort located in Delhi which was built by the Emperor of India with a thought to safe the Indian culture in one roof, the same we are trying to do by giving best Indian food and taste with the blended flavor of spices from India. We have Gluten Free, Friendly Vegetarian along with Halal and Jain Food option available with us.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have tried indian food in UK, all countries of Scandinavia and now Praha. My family found Lal Quila to be the best we have experienced ever. The food is not adapted to westerns style or taste at all, slightly less spicy but all in all a very delicious experience. We will reccomend this restaurant to everyone that like spicy and tasty indian food in Prague.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited the restaurant this year 3 times. As our experience is the food is always excellent, fresh made and tasteful.
The restaurant has enough tables also in corners for a little more privacy. The service was today really very good. Some other times that was not the case as we had to wait really a long time to give our order and to get our drinks. The prices are OK, value for money.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The menu was impressive and the service staff were very friendly too. Probably the most authentic indian food we came across in czech republic.
Good value for money and I am eager to visit this place again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited Lal Qila a couple of years ago, partly on the strength of TA reviews. I don't much remember that visit, so I can conclude that the food was ok, the beer was ok, and so on. What stands out is the bubbly Canadian waitress, who was helpful and chatty.

Last night I visited again, and am happy to inform that the same waitress is there with the same demeanour. However several things left me disappointed.

Before I mention them, though- the good. Lal Qila still presents authentic Indian food at an attractive price. Anyone wishing to satiate a hankering after that cuisine will be well-served here. The itch can be scratched. Also, they don't shy away from spice, as some restaurants in Prague will. They may look at you funny when you order, but a vindaloo will be burning hot (and last night's jalfrezi agrees). There's also plenty of it. It would take a glutton to finish three courses.

But...

Standards are slipping and last night's experience manifested itself as a "ho hum" one. Firstly, there was no Gambrinus. Fine. Anyone can run out of beer (though you don't keep one spare keg or some bottles?!). Hardly a problem, I'll have Pilsner then. But the pilsner isn't very nice. It doesn't taste fresh, but I press on as there are no alternatives.

Next, onion bhajis and something named something like "chicken 65" which turned out to be chicken coated in fiery batter and fried. Not much taste and the batter was just stodge. I ended up scraping the batter off since, other than fire, it added nothing. And the bhajis were dry- I mean REALLY dry. Like they'd been on the mantelpiece over a roaring fire for a day. This meant that some of the fennel seeds were like tiny diamonds hidden in a thatch of dry hard onion.

My main, lamb jalfrezi (cue the Canadian waitress looking horrified at my bravado, "do you really want it hot?"), was mystifying. Applause for it being eye-wateringly hot, but where was all the meat? I had a good five or six decent lumps in a dish that covered a dinner plate when decanted. I know this is a "gravy" dish but more actual pieces of meat to pick up with my nan would have been appreciated. The taste was fine- exactly what I'd expected.

And the nan, oh the nan... The top of my nan was cooked. Bubbly and blackened. The tail of my nan was "just about" cooked. The rest? Wet dough. My problem with this is that WHY would you serve that when it is so obviously wrong? The cook could see it, and the waitress could see it. It's like putting brown lettuce on a salad- it just makes you look bad.

So all in all, there was nothing there to merit the four or five stars so often lavished upon this place. It will scratch that Indian itch, but I'll be going elsewhere next time. Believe it or not that saddens me because for years authentic curry in Prague was a non-starter. Let's hope Lal Qila can improve their eye for detail.

1  Thank redpola
Reviewed July 16, 2013

While I had tried most of the indian restaurants in Prague, I couldn't find any that really satisfied me until I discovered Lal Qila.
All the dishes we tried were great, especially the Chicken Korma.
Portions are abundant and the service great.
I will definitely be back!

1  Thank Diego538