“Enjoyed the Show”

IMAGE Black Light Theatre
Ranked #222 of 932 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: IMAGE Theatre has been a permanent member among theatres of a unique Czech genre of black theatre. During its 25 years long existence it became an important part of Prague culture, well-known not only to Prague citizens and visitors, but also to audiences abroad. It has had over a hundred foreign trips around Europe, but also to the United Arab Emirates, Macau, South Korea, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Turkmenistan, Russia and Bahrain. Its creative work moved the development of the genre at the top level. Far from the original, simple form of black theatre, the contemporary one, synthetic and concentrated on clever and quality entertainment, has been reached. The ensemble has developed its own style. It brilliantly uses the technique of black theatre, elements of modern dance, original costumes, mime and non-verbal theatre, as well as contact with the audience. Mystification, precise execution of visual tricks, playful authors, compelling performances by actors and dancers and the desire to have fun and entertain the viewer, all is aimed at achieving the goal set: to perform a live theatre for a live audience. More than 8,000 performed shows and almost two million spectators over twenty-five years is certainly not the only measure of success of the IMAGE Theatre. The essential part remains the same - to keep the audience satisfied. In 2016 IMAGE Theatre built a new modern hall with a comfortable auditorium in the city centre, theatre cafe, sufficiently large stage and technical facilities. On its repertoire there are currently five titles: "Cabinet", "Black Box", "Afrikania," "Galaxy" and "The Best of Image". !!IMPORTANT_PLEASE READ!! Unfortunately, there are TWO BLACK THEATRES in the passage. If you are interested, please pay attention at which boxoffice you buy tickets. You can buy tickets in the passage directly at the IMAGE Theatre entrance. We provide free wifi at box office and at whole theatre as well so you can check your reservation on place. Thank you for understanding. Yours IMAGE Theatre team
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Morristown, NJ
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the Show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I understand the negative comments of some other reviewers, but we enjoyed seeing the "Afrikania" show in September. The black light theater concept seems to be unique to Prague so we wanted to see it, and it provided an entertaining night out for us. The dance routines, with dancers dressed in costumes intended to portray various animals and highlighted with black light techniques, were very creative. Yes, there are no fancy, expensive hi-tech effects, so from that standpoint it might seem "amateurish" to some people, but we were amazed at what they could do with props and costumes that were so simple. In between the dance routines, to give the dancers time to change costumes, there was an ongoing skit with three actors which was amusing at times, but not nearly as enjoyable as the dance routines. If you go, then get there a half hour ahead of time as it fills up fast (it looked like our show was sold out). We followed the recommendation of avoiding the first five rows, as the viewing is better a little farther away from the stage. I think that if you go with an open mind, not expecting to see a big Broadway extravaganza, then you will be pleasantly surprised and entertained.

Visited September 2013

• Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“This is one tourist attraction that you can easily avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Very disappointing - the performance was mainly slapstick mime clown acts punctuating small amounts of reasonably skilful black light theatre. Silly and unsophisticated - maybe children would enjoy this but don't bother.

Visited May 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A very average touristy performance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I really wanted to see a black light theater performance in Prague for ages, so we finally decided to give it a go and were... quite frankly, disappointed.
I thought it would be pitch dark but instead only the stage was darkened at times so it wasn't all that "black light" as expected, the glow in the dark costumer were fine and put on an interesting scenery at times but at other times we could just see the performers as whole and it was more like an amateur dance theater. Not very coordinated or professional moves.
The "black light" scenes were interrupted by a silent comedy performance, which was ok and even funny at times but I really didn't understand why it was there in the first place.
All in all, glad I saw it to but wouldn't go again (and probably wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends).

Visited August 2013
Shaharut, Israel
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Don't go to the Afrikania show”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

There was nothing african about the animals portraid by 5 midioker dancers. Looks like they haven't a clue about animals and about dancing. The dances concluded 3-4 movements which did not develop. While the dancers got dressed there was a side show of pentomime - awful and low humor. I did not listen to the ones that reviewd before me and I am sorry for that.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank taranhanoded
Houston, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Interesting Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was in Prague for 1.5 weeks on business and was looking for something different to do. I happened to walk by this theater and picked up a brochure. I read the various mixed TA reviews before I went and concluded that the performance would either be awful or "cheesy good". In my opinion it turned out to be the latter. I reserved my ticket in advance and paid for it the day before (in cash) at the box office. I arrived at the theater in time to be there when the doors opened and had a very good seat. I was at a show that started at 18:00 and there was a good crowd, but it was not sold out.

I saw the "Best Of Image" show and I thought the visual effects were interesting. Yes, there was a bit of repetition and you can only do so much with fluorescent paint and black light, but there was enough variety to keep it interesting for 75 minutes. There was a break between each dance while the dancers changed costumes. In between dances there were 2 mimes who performed. For the record I'm not a fan of mimes, so I didn't enjoy them that much. However I give them credit for getting the crowd to at least chuckle at every skit.

I thought the tickets were a bit expensive so I probably wouldn't go again. However if you're in town for several days and want to see something different, this is an interesting alternative.

Visited July 2013