“Great for beef”

Cestr
Cuisines: European, Czech, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Cestr ptides itself on its beef, and with reason: it is really very good. The restaurant is a bit hard to find unless you have exact directions, but once you are there you will find that they offer some cuts of beef that are just great. Not the best steak I've ever had, but close. The dessert, a local Czech specialty, was also very fine. The waiter suggested a Slovakian red; it was very tasty. My wife enjoyed her roast beef as much as I enjoyed my striploin. Recommended, but not to those on a budget.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Went here with my wife in June and we enjoyed our meal and the experience here a lot. First off they have an open kitchen concept with large pieces of the cow hanging in the windows which adds to the decor of the restaurant. They also give you a diagram of a cow and the descriptions of each part and their characteristics (tenderness, flavor, etc)

As for the food - real solid. We ordered two appetizers and two entrees (pictures attached) and everything was very solid. The tartar was fantastic and our steaks were cooked perfectly medium rare. Overall would definitely recommend.

1  Thank moogie822
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful sampling of Cestr's menu during our food tour with Taste of Prague. It is a beef eater's paradise; however, the chicken with truffle juice was also wonderful. The beef tartar with quail egg was superb. I have tried beef steak tartar in the US and never cared for it but this beef tartar was flavorful and quite excellent. The shoulder clod and the golden muscle were terrific. Even the sour dough bread with cream cheese was excellent. The beer ice cream for dessert was very tasty.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This place was really quite cool; I have never seen where you can see the meats hanging up. They specialize in using parts of the cow which most steak houses wouldn't use...so this was a great experience to get something different than the normal steak I would get in the US. Very cool menu explaining the differences and the steak was very tasty.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a place to go for beef, with only one choice for chicken and vegetarian on the menu. The name is a combination of the words "Czech" and the type of local spotted cow that is served. The food was very good, the quality of the beef high but not the most flavorful I've ever had. My petite filet mignon was actually two small pieces, served Medium even though I had ordered Medium Rare. It was tender and tasty anyway. Glad I had ordered the truffle sauce (extra)--the meat benefited from it. Wine list was limited and expensive. Service was friendly but uneven. The first two courses came out promptly but then there was a huge wait for the third course. The restaurant felt like a place where "foodie" locals eat, not a tourist restaurant. We liked it.

1  Thank melody8va