“Excellent location”

Ranked #208 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Athens, Greece
“Excellent location”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed one week in Residence Leon D'Oro and I am more than happy to choose this hotel. The location was great, people friendly and the appartments clean and huge! Breakfast was fine and overall it is a nice and affordable accommodation. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Stella189400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed at this 2-star hotel in October and found it weird, but satisfactory. It is in an ideal location within minutes walk of Wenceslas Square and also the Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge.
Massive renovations are taking place in the hotel but there are no Emergency Exit signs anywhere and the bedrooms are a mixutre of new and extremely old furniture and paintings.
The owners seem to be spending vast sums of money but achieving little for their investment.
Our room was vast, but had a box-like bedroom built inside it without a window and with little lighting. There was a massive kitchen unti with fridge, but little or no cutlery or crockery
There was a lounge area but it only contained a convertible settee or a hospital style bed.
A very small tv was mounted high on the wall, but no seating provided to view it.
The continental breakfast was good and varied but served in a basement room between the front and rear blockes of the hotel. Recommend the hotel for location, but not for comfort!

Room Tip: Ask for room on the front
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
newcastle
Reviewed October 10, 2011

A clean bed and bathroom - what more do you need for a short city break in an excellent location ?
OK the furniture isn't the best, but that didnt worry us. Breakfast was more than adequate. Reception staff extremely helpful, showed us how to get to places on map, and which tram to take.
I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Massive alterations are underway on this hotel in the centre of Prague. A new lift system and corridors have been installed in the front block and there is a lot work going on in the rear block.
Unfortunately, this will not do a lot for the accommodation as the owners have no idea how to make their rooms attractive or comfortable!
We stayed in a family room which had a weird layout with a twin-bedded room built into it, lounge area with more bed, but no seating and a small tv high up on the wall.
There was a kitchen unit with a fridge, two sets of crockery, but no electric kettle, toaster or microwave. Visitors were obviously not expected to make use of it!
There was a modern bathroom with a bath towel and hand towel for just two persons.
The furniture was left over pieces from the 1930's and the few paintings were even older and darker.
The rooms are stark white throughout and could be simply improved with splashes of colour,
modern furniture and seating area.
A traditional continental breakfast is served in a temporary room on the ground floor.
This hotel is ideally situated within a few minutes walk of Wenceslas Square and the Old Town.
However, the entry from the street is dark and uninviting. Anyone arriving at night in the dark would be frightened off staying at this hotel with its dark little reception.

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the front are these are quiet and more modern
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Nice location.
Very nice room. Almost an apartment!!!
Receptive employes.
Its a simple place, but it has everything you're gonna need to have a good stay at Prague.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Heliogualberto
Newcastle
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Arrived on 17.4.11 to be greeted by the news that thel lift was broken and would be working tommorrow. We lugged our luggage up 122 stone stairs with no handrail, exhausted when we reached our rooms. went to make a cup of coffee to find we had no kettle and only two cups. (there were three of us in room) Our friends in the next apartment had three cups and a dirty little saucepan. Also no coathangers. We were given 10 coathangers between the six of us. When I went downstairs to ask for more I had to plead to get an extra ten. As mentioned in previous review there was no hot water until the afternoon of the 18th. At one point the electricity went off for about 15 mins, by this point we thought we were in the middle of a re-shoot of `faulty towers`. The apartments were very central, the kitchen new and we also had a washer in the bathroom. (although we were only there for four nights so did not need it) Climbing up and down the stairs was hazardous. Dust everywhere and we had to climb over a maze of electric wires. Returning when it was dark sometimes the stairs were unlit so we had to negotiate the best we could and the lack of handrails didn`t help.
Couldn`t comment on the breakfast because I couldn`t be bothered to do the climb unless I had to. Friends however commented that it was OK. Lift still not working when we left. We asked for a balcony which we got but unfortunately it was filthy unlike the rooms which were cleaned every day.
Prague was a beautiful city. The buildings were breathtaking and the weather was great. My favourite spots The Old Town Square and the very atmospheric Charles Bridge. The castle is also worth visiting. No need to pay to enter the grounds which were excellent. The people of Prague were very friendly and most of them spoke English. Will definately return but not to this hotel.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2011

The Residence Leon is in the heart of Old Town in Prague. Turn one direction out of the hotel and you are steps from Old Town Square, turn the other direction and you are at Wenceslas Square. It really is a perfect location. It is also right down the street from Havelská Market which is a great place to buy souvenirs and fruit. Take the map you can get at the front desk. You will most definitely need it!

My room was very big with a separate living area and bedroom. There was a mini-kitchen that was useful for the small number of groceries I bought. It was also nice to have the extra room to spread out.

I read online ahead of time that the elevator was under construction. When I wrote to the hotel, they assured me it would be completed by the time I was checking in on April 14th. Unfortunately, this did not happen and they hadn't finished the elevator even by the time I checked out on April 19th. It was more than just the elevator, but the entire hallway leading up to my 4th floor walk-up was basically under construction. The hallways were very dusty and the construction started very early in the day.

As another reviewer said, they didn't clean the room very often. I think out of the 5 days I was there it was only cleaned 2 times. I had to ask for toilet paper since they didn't clean towards the end of my trip.

Spotty wi-fi, at best

On my second to last day, the hot water broke. It was broken for more than 18 hours. The hotel didn't really see this as a big deal even though lots of guests were complaining. I understand that it broke on a Sunday afternoon when repair shops might be closed, but we couldn't shower until late in the day on Monday and from what I knew the hotel was fully booked.

If the water was working and the elevator and hallway construction was finished, I wouldn't have too many complaints about this hotel. The location made up for some of it. Also, I got a great deal online which gave me a free night so this definitely helped alleviate some of the issues I had with the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo