“Great little find!”
Review of Mosaic House

Mosaic House
Ranked #70 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in early May'14 when running the marathon in Prague. Hostel was imaculate, beautifully presented, very stylish - felt more like a hotel than hostel. Staff in bar/food/reception area where all really very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet is well well worth the minimal price as the range of foods in the all you can eat style is fantastic and constantly topped up. Ate here for dinner once and the food was very pleasant indeed. Cheap bar prices too.

Stayed in the 26 female dorm room - at the age of 39 im not sure Id do this again tbh - it was a lovely room & beds very comfy - secure lockers (take a padlock or buy one for a few pounds at reception) for each bunk so comfortable leaving possessions if out for the day. You can hire towels for your stay but they are more hand towel size - fine for a few days to be honest and again very cheap to do if you want to maximise on your suitcase space. Downside to the dorms was as to be expected it was mainly populated by young 20 somethings with little regard for keeping the noise down late at night/very early in morning - so ear plugs and eye mask are a must. But thats the only negative as the dorms are very cheap so perfect if on a budget. Im just maybe a little old in the tooth for that now & 3hrs sleep the night before a marathon just wasnt funny....neither was the 4hrs I only got the night after....not a relection on the hostel at all. But maybe a sign saying please respect others & turn mobiles to silent/try not to slam doors etc after 11pm or something might be appreciated as a gentle reminder....

But other than that a real gem of a find & I wouldnt hesisitate to go back there - will just take a double room next time though!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Suzanne184
Write a ReviewReviews (2,390)

Reviewed May 18, 2014

This is a fine hostel the bedroom was basic with 2 bunk beds, the shower room was very nice and clean, well stocked bar serving Czech beers. On the first night we ate in the restaurant we all had the burger with fries and it was one of the best burgers I have ever had for just over £5. Breakfast was buffet style all you wanted ( no bacon). Over all a great hostel and would book again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I'm glad I chose your hotel. One of the best choices I had. The location is amazing! Dinner menu at the restaurant is amazing! Great food! Perfect service! Every time I would visit Prague I will get to your hotel.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a window facing courtyard. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoyed my time here and would recommend this place, but also agree with some of the other reviewers on a few points. I thought my room and bathroom were super clean which was a major plus for me! Breakfast was not free, it was the equivalent of about 5.50 euros but it was definitely worth it for the amount of food. We ate so much food at breakfast that we were able to skip lunch and just have a cheap snack to hold us until dinner. I would definitely agree the young staff was not very pleasant and was rude on quite a few occasions. We were on the floor above the lobby and I could not hear any of the music playing at night which was nice. It is maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk to the square. I know in my room some of the outlets were not working but mine was. I liked that there was a small light by the door that we turned on for the people who came in later, but we were not bothered by it since it was dim. That was a nice touch. This hostel/hotel definitely catered to large groups. Breakfast was a bit crazy with a very large group of high school students who were staying there. There wasn't enough seating with a group that large as well as the rest of the hostel guests.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank bdy883
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This place looks nice at first glance, but look closer and I would have much preferred to stay at any of the other hostels in Prague.

Our six bedroom dorm was TINY and there were black scuff marks all over the walls, not the five star hostel we had paid for. We couldn't work out how to control the air conditioning so we all boiled at night.

The only power points were four on my bed so everyone had to jump on my bed if they wanted to charge.

The shower/bath tub combo had the shower head facing out wards so you ended up with a pool of water on the floor.

We were on the first floor, so the one night we stayed in the bar downstairs had a DJ, even with earplugs in the music was pumping through and the bed was actually shaking from the vibrations.

Everything here is a money grab (as if you haven't paid enough already), you pay for lockers to store your bag in early check in even though they have a free luggage room where I put my bag because it was oversize.

I asked to rent a towel and she said you can have one but they are really small...and never got one for me so I guess that's a no.

None of the staff members had personality (or at least the 8 I interacted with). I'm sure there are other charismatic people wanting the job so why not give it to someone with a smile who wants to be there. Bland staff do nothing for a business, especially a hostel. We weren't given any advice on things to do, they didn't even mention the restaurant or lounge area.

Food was really expensive, we tried the burgers and they were average, and you can get amazing food outside for cheaper.

The breakfast I did see when we checked out looked yummy, hot food which is a nice change. It's only open until 10am which is strange for a 'party' hostel.

The bar crawl they do is same price as the others in Prague but includes half the amount of free drinks time and doesn't include vodka. Words taken from reception staff 'it doesn't include strong drinks'.

I also noticed that the restaurant caters to lots of business people and general public which takes away from the hostel vibe if that's what you are chasing.

I really wouldn't recommend this place if you are used to fun hostels which actively try and make your stay enjoyable and affordable.

Room Tip: Don't book a six bedroom dorm, the larger ones look more spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Madison B
Nah-Dja, General Manager at Mosaic House, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Hi Madison, this is Nah-Dja, the boss in Mosaic House. I thank you for your review about your stay with us here in Prague. I am sorry that we were not up to the level of your expectations. I am in my position now for 3 month (Mosaic House rookie) and I take your comments very serious and will change what is in my power to change. As we currently are a new hostel concept here in Prague with the club and the La Loca restaurant only open since December last year, I realise that it is difficult to please everybody. I will however make changes and follow up your comments related to the issues that have nothing to do with the overall concept but with plain hospitality. Again, thank you for your review, it will help us a lot. All the best from currently rainy Prague, Nah-Dja, the boss. nahdja@mosaichouse.com or 00420 724 723 138

Reviewed May 7, 2014

If you consider a hostel to be a place where you can get a decent amount of sleep, shower, meet people, etc. - this is not for you. I happened to arrive on a Friday night and it was rather confusing where to check-in because entering the hotel is as if entering a night-club. The front-desk staff are completely hit and miss, but upon checking-in, I discovered that my bed was missing both blanket and pillow. It took three requests to the people working downstairs to actually get up from the chair and help. The next morning, everyone was friendly, professional, and helpful. The clientele, in general, seem to be in town "to party" and will be happy to keep you up discussing it. The rooms themselves are, as stated everywhere, really really nice. The private bathrooms are a huge plus. Strangely enough, the soap was "locked" next to the sink so if you wanted to use some in the shower, you would be out of luck. But I would rather have less of this flash luxury and more of a decent place to sleep and make a base in the city. For that - please look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank eab2124
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We were with a group of 250 people and everything was absolutely perfect arranged. The rooms are very nice and the beds are good. The hostel is looking very luxary for a hostel and the personel were friendly and helpfull. The food was also delicious. I can recommend it to everybody!