“very uncomfortable room”
Review of Mosaic House

Mosaic House
Ranked #74 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I booked a double room for a bit more money and at first glance the room seemed ok... spacious, modern and comfortable. And the wifi was good too which is usually very important for me. However, I found the room stuffy and without any air circulation. I tried to turn on the air con which didn't work and it just made matters worse. To top it off, all the lights in the room have movement sensors so every time you move the lights turn on and stay on for 10 minutes. It was a dreadful experience and I checked out of the hotel suffering from a severe case of sleep deprivation.

I won't be staying here any time soon!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jazsacher
Gilles O, Director of Sales & Marketing at Mosaic House, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Jazsacher,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very sorry about your negative experience – please accept our apologies. In regards to the air conditioning and lights, everything in MOSAIC HOUSE works in accordance with our eco-friendly initiative. This is why some lights get switched off automatically, for instance, but the complete system was reviewed lately so everything should works now. However, we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in MOSAIC HOUSE – if you would like to discuss your complaint in detail, please contact me personally at gilles@mosaichouse.

Thank you so much and have a great day!
Gilles

Write a ReviewReviews (2,455)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hostel is ONLY for young party goers, and thats ok but there are no places for those who just want to get away from that. If you are mature, couples looking to enjoy a city or simply not interested in all night party goers then this hostel is NOT for you. It is only set up for the party scene, there a very few chillout areas, the hostel feels more like a bar with accommodation attached, than a hostel with a bar. Please do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere where you will be treated like a person not a bed number.

Cons - I'm going to rant for the first time ever in my 40 odd reviews this is how disgusted i was with the way myself and my girlfriend were spoken to and treated.
30th sept, male on reception at 5pm - 1030 I didn't catch his name
On several occasions we approached this staff member he was one of the rudest, most unhelpful people I have ever encountered. Too busy on his phone to look up, then when we had an issue kept his head down the whole time, we couldn't believe it. If this gentlemen represents your hostel you should be ashamed.
Another example was a male bartender with a st. Christopher's shirt on, on the 2nd of October' 6pm was so incredibly rude, he told me he won't do a jug of water cause "I don't do them", after being so rude when I was ordering, I asked a question about the food and the reply was "I don't know I don't cook the food", seriously mate!! Do these staff just not get "customer service" so incredibly rude I hope management seriously does something because reading trip advisor this is a reoccurring theme and management replies are often "we have dropped the ball on this occasion", nope it has never changed. Being polite is not hard! If this is customer service at St Christophers throughout the chain I will NEVER stay in another St Christopher's . I hope management actually does something about these employees/ the general attitude of all the employees we encountered.

Further cons
- no time out room as I said this hostel is only set up to cater, there is one room but its filthy and is so loud its ridiculous.
- the rooms are so loud from all the partying its ridiculous, you can't sleep at night until after 1am, as I yet again reiterate its only set up to cater for party goers. There is also an absence of security anyone can just walk into the hostel and go up to the rooms. There is no swipe access or anything like that although some rooms are behind doors its very easy for them to get in.

Pros - location, bathrooms are clean, rooms clean and sizeable.
150Czech K/6€ is ok quite pricey though

For the many cons I will not be recommending your hotel to clients.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew J

Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for your review. We are truly sorry about your negative experience and would like to extend our most sincere apologies.

In regards to the loud music – MOSAIC HOUSE has been fully renovated in November 2013 and soundproofing was one of the improvements which were part of the renovations. Therefore, loud music should not be a problem anymore. The lounge area has also been fully renovated – it is now a quit and comfortable place where our guests can read, use the Internet or simply relax.

Regarding the service, we agree that what you have experienced is unacceptable. We believe that after the management change of MOSAIC HOUSE in November 2013, we can now offer better service and accommodation, but if you would still like to discuss your complaint in detail, do not hesitate to contact me personally at gilles@mosaichouse.com.

Thank you for taking the time to review MOSAIC HOUSE and have a great day!
Gilles

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hostel is in a great location near the river and not far from the shops and restaurant district, and nightlife. The rooms are clean and bathroom clean and modern. Theres a modern bar down the bottom with music a pool table and a little dance floor, this hostel is pretty much for the younger ages. The bar serves food with is really good, buffet in the morning for a pretty low price. Very helpful and fun staff, one of the best hostels ive stayed in..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I booked a twin room at Mosaic House because it was one of the few hostels that offered secure cycle parking. I was expecting a standard back packing experience with budget quality furniture and atmosphere but I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The room was far better than any of the budget hotel chains in the UK and if it wasn't for the fact that I'd checked in I would have been convinced that I was in the wrong hostel.

The furniture and fittings were excellent and the comfort of the beds beyond reproach.. The staff were very friendly and the premises were spotlessly clean. My wife would be happy with this hostel and my travelling friend agreed. We both have pickiy partners and we could find anything that they's object to.

The price was outstanding and the hostel ought to be considered as a viable alternative to budget hotels when visiting Prague.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in a double bedroom with terrace because the ones without terrace weren't available (about $10 more expensive). The room is great, well decorated, all blinds work automatically, spacious. The bathroom: amazing, way better than many 4 or 5 star hotels I've stayed! It's clean, modern and beautiful. I stayed in the 605 room. Once you enter the room you find stairs leading to 2 other bedrooms upstairs. I thought this was little weird, but I never heard any noise or was bothered by other guests.
Staff was helpful and they even offer a tip based walking tour. Location is also good: I walked everywhere, easy to get from the airport. 10 min walk to Charles Bridge and other local attractions. Lots of young people in the hostel and the bar offers music pretty much every night.

Room Tip: You won't use the terrace, and the view is not pretty, so I don't recommend (unless it's...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed in a private room at Mosaic, with a huge private terrace. The room was clean and lovely, with a huge bed and all you could need (including a little fridge). We chose Mosaic because hotel rates were astronomical and this was very reasonable in comparison.

However, while the room was very much of hotel standard, the experience was undeniably hostel. We were greeted with incredulity when my boyfriend and I arrived at 11am to drop our bags off and head out into the city. "Check in is 3pm!"

We were also not amused when reporting that we had no hot water in both the morning and evening resulted in a sullen, unapologetic "There is no hot water when lots of people use the showers". Ho/stel or not, hot water should be a given and this just doesn't cut it for me.

However, if you check in to Mosaic expecting a nice room but poor service, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Courtney M
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We could not have asked for better! We stayed in a mixed 8 bed dorm which was spacious, clean, fresh and modern. The bathroom was exceptional for a hostel (nicer than I've seen in people's homes!!). Considering there is a (great) bar downstairs, it was not noisy at all. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great and cheap. The hostel is located about 20mins walk from train station and close to everything. Highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends