“nice apartment - but not a true 2-bedroom privacy; a few other issues too”
Review of City Apartment

and 1 more site!
City Apartment
Ranked #99 of 656 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Finland
“nice apartment - but not a true 2-bedroom privacy; a few other issues too”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This review is about a 2-bedroom apartment at V Lesicku 7 (the same company manages several locations around Prague), where we stayed for 4 nights, as part of a little family reunion in Prague.

The place was nicely furnished and spacious, good location and reasonable value for money - add a long list of glowing reviews on the internet and you would be crazy not to book it. Or so you think.

Unfortunately there were a few issues - maybe we were just unlucky... but those problems need to be mentioned.

1) While advertised as "2 bedroom apartment / 4 adults", it did not really have the privacy of two bedrooms - one sleeping area was "separated" from the combined living room / kitchen with... well... a curtain (see the attached photos). This could perhaps be acceptable for "family apartment - adults with children", but this one was explicitly tagged as "4 adults" and the pictures published on the booking site were taken a bit creatively so that they would not reveal this "little detail". Not a nice surprise at all.

2) There was quite a "respectable" layer of dust on top of the furniture. Sure, you wouldn't normally notice it - we only discovered this because we put a bag with fragile stuff up there... Still, this is not how one does the cleaning, right?

3) The staff is not very professional - at least not in internet communication. There seems to be a surcharge 10e for "late check-in" (which is anything after 6 PM). When I commented that it is a bit awkward to charge this fee on top of a booking that is already almost 500e value, I received a rather rude answer "If you think it is awkward, nothing prevents you to give us more money." Oops. It happens that in my position, I also deal with our company's clients from time to time - and I know that if I ever did something like this, I would loose the job rather fast. It seems that the surcharge is used to pay the person who needs to stay and open the door - so it was apparently taken as a personal attack on one's salary. But as a guest, I really don't want to be involved in employer-employee issues - my assumption was that I communicate with "City Apartment - the company" and my whole point was that anywhere in the world, the advertised price of accommodation must cover all "normal" expenses related to it - for example cleaning... changing the sheets... and yes, check in.

4) Upon arrival, the person welcoming us was actually very friendly and helpful. I was also told that based on my comments, I don't need to pay the surcharge. Plus points, I thought. Well - not quite. I paid with a credit card in the local currency - and their exchange rate calculation actually resulted in 15e higher cost on my credit card bill than the price listed during booking.

So the overall experience was not that great.

I can imagine that a couple booking a single-bedroom apartment and being spared of my internet email exchange would give this place 5 points - but in our case, this was far from that. What a pity.

Room Tip: Be careful if booking a 2-bedroom apartment: it may not be what you expect.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank the_vj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Auckland
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

There doesn't seem to be a distinction between the different locations of these apartments but thought I'd review as, as have others, about staying at City Apartments on V Lesicku 7.
Great value for money! Huge apartment with great bathroom, washing machine and dryer and kitchen appliances. Also freeWifi. I specifically chose a place with a washing machine as I was travelling around Europe for a month and this was my half way point. It meant I didn't get the features of a hotel like breakfast and sightseeing advice, but this didn't matter and in fact had a very good intro to Prague and the apartment location from Jana upon checking in which was great. It's not a busy lively area, and in fact quite quiet after dark but felt safe and was only a short walk from the tram stop. There is a tesco express just around the corner and a large one just a short tram ride down to Andel - so easy access to food for apartment living. It's a bit of a walk to the main tourist areas, but not a bad one during the day. Petrin tower and it's surrounding park are just nearby and in my opinion, is one of the best vista points of Prague! Over all I would highly recommend these apartments for a stay near but not super close to the main attractions, and good value for money. The only downside was the lack of air conditioning in the 30 degree heat!

• Stayed June 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at a 2-bedroom apartment at V Lesicku 7 in late June 2012. The apartment was huge, bright and extremely clean with gleaming Miele kitchen appliances, complete with a Nespresso machine. A small supermarket was within walking distance so grabbing some food for breakfast was easy. The beds were very comfortable. The staff were very pleasant to deal with, gave good advice for sightseeing and spoke English well. The location was good - a bit fair for walking to the major sites so we often took a taxi. Parking was free and right outside our building. The location was a bit eerie at night since the streets are dark and deserted but we felt safe. Wi-fi was good. Overall great experience and would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We had a great stay with an apartment and a balcony overlooking the old town square spires. They are very very thorough in their management with a 24 hour services. The apartment was huge with all facilities and the reception staff really helpful in explaining all the details and tips for handling prague as a tourist. Had a warm welcome with a bottle of wine and chocoloate goddies as a surprise. Would definitely stay again in residence masna.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor with balcony if selecting residence masna
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
montreal
Reviewed May 3, 2012

we stayed one week on the third floor of RESIDENCE KAROLINA and we enjoyed it very much . The location is great ...not too far from everything . The appartement was a 2 bedroom , renovated , with very high ceilings . The room service was excellent .
We loved the city of Prague . The staff of city apartment is very professional and help you with any questions you have about your trip .
The only critic we have is about the choice of TV channels ....we like movies and we didn't find any good channel ( HBO ,...) .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in July. I cannot tell you how perfect it was. THe space was a luxury. We had A/C, washer, full bathroom and a full living room and kitchen. We were on the top floor of Residence Karolina and we had a great view of Prague Castle. THe old building was charming but the apartment had all modern amenities including wi-fi. The residence was close enough to walk to most of the points of interest in Prague but steps away from the potential noisy banter of tourist hubs. The residence was such a nice refuge after a busy day of walking. It was also nice not to have to eat out all the time as we had a kitchen to use if we wished and supermarkets 2 blocks away. The Prague City Apartment offices were not far away and if needed we could stop in or call to set tours, get information or set up a taxi. Very convenient, spacious and affordable. We were so very pleased with our stay there that we would reommend it to anyone going to Prague.

Room Tip: If needed ask for a balcony or a to floor apartment with a view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We have just about finished 6 nights in Prague and stayed in PRague City Apartments Rybna apartment 11. These units are 1 st class well presented, clean, comfortable and could not be located better. The staff were excellent and more than willing to assist. Make sure when you travel into Prague if by airplane you ask PCA to arrange a pick up. Cost is very reasonable and it takes a lot of drama out of the transit. Could not recommend this apartment highly enough. Ps has a washing machine as well!

Room Tip: Room 11 fully self contained
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family