“Good food in a Stunning Place”

Plzenska Restaurace The Municipal House
Ranked #268 of 5,593 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you want to be immersed in the Art Nouveau period then Pizenska is the place. Located in the Municipal Building it is stunning. Just walking in you are surrounded by the meaning of Art Nouveau from the tile work on the wall, to the chandeliers and clocks suspended above and the stained glass. As I sat down I could easily imagine the ladies in their dresses and large hats enjoying a meal. The food was quite good. The soup - hearty and well seasoned. The salmon cooked to perfection. The strudel was a little heavy for my taste. But the restaurant still gets and excellent because I would go back again...

There are newer reviews for Plzenska Restaurace The Municipal House

Reviewed April 23, 2013

A group of us came here for dinner, especially because of the gorgeous art nouveau building that houses the restaurant (which is on the lower level). The building itself--and the physical space of the restaurant--is worth seeing.

I must say that some of the food was very good, some of it rather pedestrian. For instance, my grilled salmon was excellent (as were the accompanying, very fresh-tasting mashed potatoes), but my husband and several of my friends had the goulash, which was nothing special. I was actually surprised that my husband didn't finish it, a sign of its not being terrific. (Interestingly, the photo in the menu shows the goulash with a large-sized piece of kielbasa on top, but the actual meal had just a very small slice.) The desserts, too, were average. There was an accordionist playing varieties of Eastern European and American music; he was very good, but it did make it difficult to manage conversations at times.

While the service was very pleasant and I'm told the beers were quite good, it appears that this place might be resting on laurels it hasn't bothered to re-establish in quite a while. But since the place was packed, perhaps several of us had just ordered the wrong things--or perhaps it was just an off night for goulash and a couple of the desserts.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We went here for lunch with some friends that were visiting and the food was delicious, we were planning to eat in the upstairs restaurant but thought that we would give this place a go as we hadn't been before, and we were so glad that we did. The interior of the place is simply amazing and a must see I would say, we had good service and the staff were very friendly, so all in all a very good experience. Sure there are probably cheaper Czech restaurants, but none can compete with the grandeur of this place I would say.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Let me tell you what happened. We entered the restaurant and some family had just left the table in the best location. There was no line, no one waiting, we seat there. Then the waiter comes and says: "6 available tables and you choose the dirty one" (by dirty he meant a few crumbles on the table. And no, I could not see any available tables but even if I did, I wanted that spot). I though he was joking and my mother, very naivily asked him if there was any problem with us seating there to which he replied: "lady, it is your problem if you like to seat in dirty places". I had no reaction. Then he flipped the table cloth and voilà, it was "clean". The same cannot be said about the floor. Is that what he calls cleaning? Another waiter came, we ordered soup, it was cold and tasteless. At least this other guy was not rude.

2  Thank jacktwist00
Reviewed April 4, 2013

It is quite 'Czech', but full of tourists. Nice dining hall, average service, they made a point by saying service is not included! Food was average to good but nothing to rave about. All in all, a good place to try as a tourist in Prague, but nothing more.