“The jewel in the crown if you ask me”
Review of Indian Jewel

Indian Jewel
Ranked #176 of 5,758 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Description: The Indian Jewel, voted as one of the best Indian restaurants in Prague and located in the heart of Prague's Old Town, makes an honest effort to create an amalgamation of some of the finest gems of Indian cuisine.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've never had Indian food like it.

We saw how popular this restaurant was on TA so we decided to try it out. It was our first night in Prague and we sought this place out. Now it wasn't easy to find for newcomers to Prague but after much searching and back-tracking we eventually found it; now wet and cold because of the weather.

The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. Authentically Indian with dimmed lighting, beautiful aromatic smells of Indian cuisine, unusual copper-like goblets on the table, nice art on the walls, lovely colours. A comfy, cosy warm environment.

Menu was extensive and the waitress knew a lot about the dishes we inquired about. She was even kind to suggest that ordering two portions of nann bread would be too much for two people and I was glad she did because it was. I ordered the Lamb Jalfrazi and my partner ordered Rogan Josh with a portion of samosas to share as a starter. All I can say was that it was beautiful. The samosas were made with fresh pastry and the lamb just melted in the mouth, the nann was hot out of the oven and infused with garlic and herbs and the portion was pretty big for the two of us.
Now, I would be partial to spicy food and the Jalfrazi was SPICY. Not unbearably spicy but it definitely brought a few tears to my eye. Just a word of warning to those who attempt to order it! If you're looking for something milder, the rogan josh is for you. The dishes were beautiful. While they don't look huge when they come out they definitely fill you up. Flavoursome, aromatic, tender smooth and textured this is authentic Indian food. The fusion of flavours and spices makes this one of the best Indian's I've ever had. The value for money was incredible, I think we paid the equivalent of 50€ for the two of us for everything. Which, when you're used to paying 70€+ for a meal was an added bonus and added to the appeal of Prague and this restaurant.

Toilets were clean and well maintained and the staff spoke English and were more than willing to help with anything. There also is an option of sitting outside. One small word of criticism, which doesn't explicitly apply to this place, but to the whole of Prague - as a native of Ireland, a country renowned for its drinking culture, they really need to learn how to pull a pint! Apart from this MINOR detail, a beautiful authentic Indian restaurant located in the heart of Prague. A definite recommendation for travelers.

1  Thank Seamus441
Write a ReviewReviews (2,904)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

A superb find, in a converted cellar in the square behind the Tyn church. Looked promising as soon as we walked in to see the naans being made freshly in a tandoor oven. Went full veggie after a weekend of Czech standards of pork and more pork. Had samosas and pakora followed by paneer masala (best dish), aloo gobi and Chana masala. Wasn't disappointed by the naans - a fluffy peshwari and a crispier garlic. Pilsner Urquell on draft. No room for desserts. All for CZK1200 (£40). Superb.

1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a wonderful restaurant just steps to the east of Old Town Square, but apart from the noisy crowds of tourists. We came in late summer, and the outdoor seating was relaxed and comfortable. Indoors, it's warm, romantically lit, and filled with exotic smells. The flavors were rich and delightfully seasoned, the food was abundant, the service was friendly and accommodating, and the prices--as most everywhere we went in Prague--were surprisingly reasonable. We liked it so much that we came back a second time. Among the best meals we've had in Europe.

1  Thank PDXJohnErickson
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We arrived to the restauant after 45 minutes of searching. It was our first night, we were exhausted and soaked from the rain and Indian Jewel made our evening.
The food was delicious, we both had lamb, shared 1 naan and 1 rice. We were going to order one each, but the wait staff kindly informed us it would be too much for just two people. We were SO glad we took their advice. I had the best indian food I'd had in a long time, and the comfy warm atmosphere was exactly what we needed on the rainy night. The smells of the all spices met us before we even entered the building- which by the way, could easily be passed without notice. It is a small, basement level dining level, which only adds to the special and cosy feel of the place.

We did not try the wine, but were suckered into paying for bottled mineral water- don't bother. I soon found out that the tap water is perfectly drinkable. Always ask for a jug.

1  Thank JBC1990
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Everything about this place is excellent. The welcome, surroundings, atmosphere, service, and most importantly the food. As good as any Indian I have been to. Will definitely go back, should I visit Prague again.

1  Thank urbancoyote8