“Best attraction visited in 14 day stay”

DOX Centre for Contemporary Art
Ranked #116 of 1,046 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The DOX Centre for Contemporary Art ranks amongst the most progressive artistic institutions in the Czech Republic, and enjoys wide popularity amongst the public. It is a multi-functional space created thanks to a private initiative through the reconstruction of a former factory in Prague's Holešovice district. Through exhibitions of contemporary international and Czech art, DOX explores contemporary topics and further develops discussion through various accompanying programme. The exhibitions change througout the year, please check our programme before visiting.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 18, 2013

To be fair, I am a painter so visits to modern or contemporary museums are quite a must on a trip. I must say I really love DOX, the curators have done a great job for the current exhibit. The current temporary exhibit "Disabled by normality" is widely publicized all over town. I am usually sceptical on such themes but I must say the collection of works and the chronology of display is really quite something, enjoyed it and opened my eyes on this subject quite a bit. But my favourite exhibit is Kamila Ženatá – The Women’s Yard. We actually did the viewing in the reverse order by mistake, starting in the last room as we arrived by the lift to the auditorium room. It turned out to be better, it had a lot of wow factor as we go through one room after another. Anyway, I went through it 3 times, 2 times reverse, 1 time right sequence. The other 2 temporary exhibit was really good too. Iveta Pilařová - Relay, is bit more personal and Gustar is very mathematical. Really had a good time, spend about 2 hours and had to leave which is a pity because they have a well stocked bookstore which I'd love browsing.

Like with the rest of our almost ending 2 week stay, the frontline staff here are really rude. She was really irritated and refused to get up from her chair to show me the artists catalogue which I had wanted to buy.

The café décor is really nice, a pity they only serve drinks. We went on a Sunday and it was so quiet that my 14month baby slept through for 2 hours which is rare! The AC is a real plus as it was really hot. Oh, some artworks are quite disturbing so if you have kids, you might want to exercise some censorship. My 6 year old is a little disturbed by some images, it was a little hard to shield her from everything esp large scale projections!

4  Thank foiegrina

Reviewed August 15, 2013

A bit out of the city centre but the DOX Centre for Contemporary Art is well worth a visit. Of course it all depends on the changing exhibition program, however the four shows on when we visited were all worthwhile, and two of them were exceptional - 'Disabled by Normality' and Kamila Zenata 'The Women's Yard' are both excellent exhibitions.

DOX also has an excellent design shop with high quality objects and books. The only drawback is the cafe..... don't arrive hungry, it only serves drinks. The hospitable server rustled up toasted cheese sandwiches for us, but don't plan on having lunch here.

TIP. Take the free minibus which goes from Old Town to DOX daily at 1pm. Details on www.dox.cz/en

4  Thank judith t
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Lots to see, a surprisingly large space with lots of different things, definitely worth going! (Despite the flood damage).

1  Thank a1414
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I like visiting DOX for its variability and also because it is place for young art, street art, art from students. My first experiencing Dox was when mr Černý showed thete the Entropia. I was amused so after it i went here for few exhibitions and in my oppinion they were also very interesting. Many known people are showing their art there. I can recomend this place to young people interested in art.

2  Thank Patricie S
Reviewed June 27, 2013

the building itself is interesting - the museum is situated in a former factory but completely renovated. there are only temporary exhibitions there so it is worth checking the programme first. there is a nice cafe and a shop with nice small art and design works. it is one of the most popular places among young people interested in art and culture

4  Thank las644