“Terrible service and food - chef was incredibly obnoxious!!”
Review of El Centro

El Centro
Ranked #370 of 5,808 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Description: Typical family spanish restaurant, where spanish cooks prepare for you the best of spanish specialities. There is a great variety of tasty tapas for a snack. If you fancy proper lunch or dinner we offer you variety of meat, fish and seafood dishes. You can try our paella which is famous for delisious taste or marinated pork "Cabezada". Our spanish waitter will help you to choose the best wine to acompany your meal. If you want to experience real spanish ambiente in Prague El Centro is place to go.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I spent 3 days in Prague and had an excellent 5 meals (I would highly recommend Les Moules), however I unfortunately went to El Centro on my last evening and it was very poor.

The staff were inattentive, they got our starter and main course orders wrong, and we were left waiting for ages without anyone coming to check on us. The sangria was watered down and the paella was distinctly average (I must confess I have had better ready made paellas from Sainsburys). Given the poor service and food the restaurant is extremely over priced.

We looked at some of the good reviews on here before going, and it was recommended by our DK guide book. I can only think that the restaurant must have changed hands since these reviews were written as it was nothing like we expected and ruined what was meant to be a lovely last night in Prague. Unfortunately it was terrible and I feel obliged to warn other travellers not to have their last (or first!) nights ruined at this awful restaurant.

1  Thank Ed C
restelcentro, Owner at El Centro, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Sir
We are very sad to read your rewiew it sound more like if you really had a bad day and we were the ones to pay for your unhapiness. We are a family restaurant working for 14 years and we are every single day in here to give our clients a good service, quality food and we do not overprice our clients. If you really had such a bad service we were here and we will solve the problem with the waiter or our cook and we would not charge not a penny for our food and sangria. We are very proud to have our staff very tidy and we allow our cooks to get out of the kitchen and show our guess who is cooking for them. If you really thing that we are discussting you should have told us face to face. If you would like to compare prices with the restaurante mention in your review you can have a look to our web page www.elcentro.cz I am sending you a picture of cooks.

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

All reviews from this particular trip are great which you may question my credibility but I got to say that my wife had a great time following the reviews in tripadvisor. This time was no different, grat Spanish restaurant in a great location. The sangria was good as well.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Being Spanish I am always a bit skeptical about Spanish restaurants outside of Spain but after several days of czech stews I felt like some tapas and I was so pleased with the food that not only I ordered a second portion of croquetas but had to repeat the day after!

definitely a great, unpretentious Spanish restaurant with classic food and great spanish cooks. Friendly service was also a very welcome change from other prague restaurants we tried that week. if you are in the area and enjoy Spanish tapas or want to eat something different than sausages and pork elbow, well worth a try.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The food is delicious and the wine there is great, the owners are really friendly and so are the waiters.to respond to what certain people have said about them stealing, I think it is a misunderstanding as they are not thiefs. last time I lost my wallet there and they called me to tell me my wallet was there when I went to get it everything was in there. I have been going there with friends for 3 years now a couple of times in the week.the prices are good considering the area of Prague it is located in. I want to emphasis the fact that this is my point of view and that I am a student so really tight on my budget. I can only recommend.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

A nice and cozy atmosphere, with good service and a great "Paella", just delicious!!! combine with a nice spanish wine selection, wonderfull dinner!!!! in one of the most beautiful cities we have the opportunity to visited in Europe.