“Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Switzerland
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I usually do not write reviews but when I do it means it was a real positive experience!
My husband and I stayed at the Buddha Bar Hotel for 5 night. The hotel has a great central location, less than 5 minutes walk to the Old Town Square where all the sightaseeing tours begin.

Bedrooms are unique, extremely clean, nice and comfortable beds although I would have preferred harder pillows to the soft ones and less complicated automatic blind remote control system but that was all fun as we had to fiddle with the system to figure out how to open and close the blinds and same with the lights!

The breakfast room is nicely decorated with a corner full of great selection of Dom Pérignon Vintage. We were always welcomed at the breakfast entrance by a professional smartly dressed hostess. Breakfast menu is for your eyes only. Their egg benedict is just superb!
We were attened by a very lovely waitress, Eva who made us felt so special!

Our room was 56 (SUPER) It was a great great expierence! Good value for your money and highly recommended. I shall definitely return!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger ex. Room 56
2 Thank DorisNaa
BBHPDirector, General Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Prague, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.
I truly appreciate that you acknowledge our property as your "home away from home".
It was certainly our pleasure to ensure that your short holiday was enjoyable despite some "fun" with different remote controls and switches.
I certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.
Best regards,
Veronika Fajcikova
Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

If you are looking for a relaxing, Chic hotel, then this is the hotel for you. Book more than 21 days in advance and you may get a good price for the room at about £150 per night for a normal room. When I arrived, I was expecting a welcome drink like some of the reviewers have noted but didn't get any. Not too fussed but for price I am paying and standard, thought there would be one.

Receptionist were really nice and helpful and one of them brought my luggage to the room. He then showed me how to use some of the remote controls for the room (and yes there is one for the curtains and yes there is one for TV in front of bath tub).

Its really dark inside the hotel corridors and your room numbers are illuminated on the floor by a mini projector which I thought was quite unique. It is in a way secure in the hotel as you need your key card to operate the lift to the residential floors. However, there is also staircase which anyone can use to go from the reception / from Buddha Bar on -1 Floor to the residential floors.

My room 37 is located at the corner of the building. It has a huge room considering the price you pay in Europe but unsure if it is due to the fact that it is in the corner of the building. It has a separate room for toilet and shower / bathroom. Toilet is small but it has a cool toilet bowl from Geberit which shoots up water to clean your ahem after your business via a remote control. Really cool and great for cleanliness wise. The Shower / Bathroom is like another room on its own. Its huge with a separate shower / bathtub. There is a small TV in front of the bathtub which doubles as a mirror and operated by a water proof remote control. Window blinds can be controlled via remote control or buttons on the wall.

The entrance, toilet and shower /bathroom can be separated via a single door / screen at night if you wish to make use of it.

Bed is huge king bed with big soft pillows. There are actually a selection of pillow types you can choose (soft / medium etc) but I didn't make full use of it.

There is huge cupboard space with safe in it. Wifi is also included in the whole hotel including restaurants. Complimentary bottle of drinking water daily. There are also complimentary coffee. The Nespresso Coffee Machine looks like a barista should operate but once you read the instruction its easy to operate. There are 3 kinds of coffee (2 each) that you can choose from (Mild, Medium & Strong). It is really cool and does differ to all other hotels in terms of 'making' your own coffee from the packet. I'm unsure if there was any tea for you to choose but I didn't drink it.

The switches & lighting are really fiddly. I stayed there for 7 days and every night, I had to find out which switches is for which lighting as they are not indicated clearly. You need to press a few times (up / down) for dimming etc or turning certain lights / everything off. I find it annoying when I'm really tired and just want to go to bed. The only thing I get once is the remote control for curtains and tv.

The TV is a cool 40 inches B&O TV with surround sound. There are parts for connecting your ipods / other players to the sound & TV but you will need your own cable so remember to bring them. TV selection however is a disappointment. For English channels there are only BBC, CNN & Sky News. Even a lower star hotel has got better TV. When I am on holidays I expect good TV like HBO movie channels / MTV music channels not just boring news everyday. I can go on the internet or read the newspaper for those. There is DVD player if you wish to bring your own DVD to watch. Here is hoping they install Blu Ray soon since they have HDTV.

The cleaners are really thorough and there is a turn down service at about 7.15pm - 7.30pm daily where they come into your room and close all your curtains, put on chillax buddha bar music and leaves chocolates & orchid flowers on your bed. If you have messed up your room between the first clean up of the room and the turn down service, they will even tidy up everything for you.

It has 2 restaurants. Buddha Bar Restaurant & Bar has Asian food offered. I went for only for 1 night and there is a tasting menu (3 courses) which was really good. I suggest go for that if you only have one meal there. I find it really dark inside the restaurant. Maybe because I was sat at the side next to the wall. I needed the candle to see the menu. When the food arrived, I find it hard to see what I am eating / colour I am seeing. I suppose it is the concept but it was just too dark. They do hand out mini torch lights for you when you read the menu if you need but I am not going to use it when I am eating. The Bar is on -1 floor overlooking the restaurant on -2 floor with a huge Buddha statue at the end. The Bar is as dark and has really good signature cocktails and cocktails creations from Buddha Bar from other locations. I was on a mission to try every one of them. The bartenders were really helpful and attentive and even made suggestion and some cocktails they suggested to make for me were not even on the menu. Sit at the bar and you can see them make the cocktails in front of you. Siddharta Cafe is where you get breakfast. There is a menu (1st page) with a selection of eggs / sausages for hot food which they will cook fresh if your breakfast is included in your stay. The rest you have to pay. Cold breakfast selection is also for you to choose buffet style but selection is always the same and I thought a bit limited so you will definitely get bored. I ate breakfast nearly everyday but were a bit sick of eating the same food so had to take a break for a couple of days. I ate there once for lunch and went for Pho Noodle soup. Does not look / taste the same as a proper Pho and chef trying to make it look too arty so you can give it a miss.

The location of the hotel I would say is central. It is definitely near Wenceslas Square and Old town so you won't really get lost with a map. Maybe about 15 minutes walk to them. It is also near the Namesti Republiky metro (< 5 minutes walk). At the metro, there is Palladium shopping mall for food / shopping / groceries. There is also a small grocery store right behind the hotel if you need it selling a lot of alcohol. Avoid a restaurant next to the hotel called Nostagie. Crap food & aimed at tourist. There is an Oyster Bar nearby at the end of Jakubska Street called Zdenek's Oyster Bar (Mala Stupartska 7, Stare Mesto). If you like seafood, seriously go there. They have the best baked Lobster I have ever tried and a good selection of fresh oysters. Warning, it is expensive though but they are really good quality.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 37 which is at the corner of the building. Unsure if it is the same size as the re...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,
thank you for your positive rating and recommending our hotel on Tripadvisor.
You are absolutely correct, hotel location is great and I must agree that corner rooms have its charm.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring your expectations are met once more.
Best regards,
Veronika Fajcikova
Hotel Director
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was expecting much more form Buddha Bar. Firstly, the hotel venues every night were booked for private functions and as a hotel quest of the Buddha Bar hotel I stayed there to have dinner or drinks at the famous bar of cafe which were never available. Secondly, our room had a view in a very ugly building courtyard which made us keep the curtains closed at all times. On the other hand, the room was fancy and a nespresso machine is always a treat!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank seasatin
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the budha bar hotel for 3 nights for our 18th Wedding Anniversary and it truly did excel. We have travelled a lot around the world and i think this is the nicest hotel room we have ever had. It is very modern with some unique features, the bath is amazing with a TV at the foot of the bath behind a smoky glass sreeen and the room more than lived up to the photos on the internet. I have to say i cannot believe some previous reviews that comment on poor service and staff not speaking much english as without exception the service was fantastic, especially so at breakfast. We dined in the buddha bar restaurant on the first night, food was fantastic, yes, you can have cheaper evening meals in prague but the ambience and quality of food makes it worth it. The location is perfect about a minute walk from the old town square - central whilst being away from it all in luxury. Whilst in prague we also booked a 3 hour private walking tour introduction to Prague with.http://www.private-prague-guide.com who were great and a really good first thing to do when arriving in prague, we saw things we probably would have missed our own. We also booked the jazz boat cruise which was a fantastic night, really good value for money and good food www.jazzboat.cz, we spent a good half day at prague castle which is amazing and if as it was our anniversary i booked to renew our wedding vows which we did in the baroque gardens under the castle, it was amazing, could not fault a single thing from inital email contact through to the help organising a romantic meal after the ceremony, company is adam and eva contact Mike or Klara on www.adameva.cz. Prague is one of, if not my favourite city and we will definitely back - probably in the winter to enoy xmas markets and the mulled wine!

Room Tip: we had a superior room, not sure what the difference was but dont expect a great view i think wherev...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The first time I heard Buddha-Bar music was back in 2000 in Singapore! I always loved the music and when I had the opportunity to visit Buddha-Bar Restaurant in Monte Carlo, I jumped up to it but since we did not have a reservation, we were turned down.

So when I and my wife were planning a short break in Prague, we decided to actually stay at the Buddha-bar hotel. We checked out the reviews and the website and were very impressed by the photos and all.

The Buddha-Bar hotel is located in the center of Prague and the location is awesome. It is literally a couple of minutes from the old town center, which is one of the best places to hand out and eat lunch at. A couple of minutes the other way, you get to Palladium shopping and awesome restaurants. A few minutes away is the Parizska street with all the uber brands such as Louis Vuitton, Prada, Hermes, Chopard and more. It was shopping nirvana!

The lobby of the hotel is quite small but that is expected since this is a boutique hotel and not like one of the super chain hotels like the Marriott etc. The guys at the reception made us feel welcome and one of them took us to the 3rd floor to our room. The room was breathtaking! The decor, the style, the subdued red lighting and the ambiance can not be properly expressed in words. More so since I am not a writer. But suffice to say that you would not experience this in your regular super chain hotels.

The furnishing were lavish and the bathroom was huge and full of high tech gadgets (the comode had an automatic bidet, fan etc!!!). Every thing in the suite had a remote control. There was a huge Bang & Olufsen TV too. There were ceiling speakers every where and we could hear the famous Buddha-Bar music playing softly. The cupboards were excellently designed with enclosed coffee machine that looked like it was from the future!

Downstairs, the Siddhardha Cafe was furnished and decorated very tastefully with lavish chandeliers and hundreds of glass Buddha statues on the walls. The bar was well stocked and we were given delicious welcome cocktails by the very friendly staff. One of them (Majdi) even took photos of me and my wife and was very friendly though out our stay. I just wish I had tipped him even more that I did (perhaps on my next visit).

That evening we had a reservation for dinner at the Buddha-Bar and the experience was surreal. I am now running out of superlatives! The restaurant had a huge Buddha one end and beautifully decorated tables. Up above was another floor with tables overlooking the downstairs tables and the Buddha.

Every thing was going so well till the food arrived. Now, this is a very subjective opinion but I and my life did not really like the food. It was too sweet and not really authentic Thai. Don't get me wrong, we travel quite a lot and have eaten all over the world. We actually Thai food. Perhaps this cuisine would not be called Thai by the restaurant but what ever it may be, we were not really thrilled with the food. My roasted cod was so sweet, I ended up just eating the aubergine that came with it and left the cod alone. The chicken salad was also bizarrely sweet!

But that is the only gripe with this hotel and as I said above, it is very subjective. You may actually love the food so much, you may eat there every evening during your stay. The breakfast was fantastic though with a huge selection of cold meats and breads. We had an a la carte break fast with superb fried, scrambled and benedict eggs with scrumptious sausages and friend mushrooms. We were also served champaign for breakfast and the service staff were beyond friendly!

The front desk people were very helpful and tried to figure out the best options for us in terms of private boat rides, shopping plans etc. We also wanted to try the Spa treatments but unfortunately due to scheduling conflicts we had to pass it up. The spa rooms were again exquisitely decorated but because they had only one spa lady coming in for the treatments and since I and my wife wanted to have the treatments done simultaneously, we had to cancel that.

All in all, we throughly enjoyed our stay at the Buddha-Bar hotel and would definitely recommend you give it try (especially if you are going as a couple!).

Room Tip: 3rd Floor Room 38 is awesome!!
1 Thank Bonigala
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Very unique hotel, very unique design, great room, good location, very friendly, exceptional breakfast.
Design- interesting combination of very modern and heavy reddish environment
Room- very big room with huge bathroom and separate toilette… very good coffee machine with varies types of cpffe capsules.
The stuff is very friendly very devoted and very helpful.
Good value for money.
Yes, I agree , a lot of "very".
We liked and recommend experiencing this unique hotel.

One issue. There are too many gadgets and lights controls.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

It is one of the most pleasant hotels we have ever stayed in. Very convenient location in the old town, staff is well trained, positive and polite.. Culinary heaven in Prague (delicious breakfast, coffee with origin, outstanding international menu) . Rooms are beautiful. Hip cocktail bar. Cool restaurant downstairs..Peaceful and lovely atmosphere. If you stay in Prague in any other hotel, you at least have to come for a lunch or dinner.