“Great place to stay”

Ranked #106 of 358 Prague B&B and Inns
Kelowna, Canada
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I was looking for a place with parking in Prague because I was driving from Berlin and I could not find a place close to the Prague Castle and Old Prague which also has parking for a reasonable price, until I found this place on Tripadvisor.
I contacted the pension and booked a room for 4 people (my spouse, my sister and my father). Prague was the last city I visited in my one-month trip around Europe and I should say that this place was the best place I stayed in during my travel given its reasonable price. Our room was very clean and quite big, with a reasonably big and very clean ensuit. There were also two nice comfy rocking chairs in the room with a small table, and a small fridge. As I mentioned, that also had secure free parking at the back, and also free wireless with very good speed.
The guy who is running the place, Petre if I remember correctly, was very friendly and nice. He explained everything in details to us and was very helpful. The price you pay also includes a great breakfast which includes cold meat, cheese, butter, nice bread, all different kinds of jam, different kind of cakes, yogurt, juice, coffee/tea, etc. They sell tram tickets there which is very handy, for the same price you can get it outside. I didn't use some of my tickets and they were kind enough to get it back. They also have a big fridge with all sort of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and whenever you felt like drinking a beer or something, you can get whatever you want and just write it on the piece of paper on the board that keeps your balance.
Regarding proximity to city attractions, the tram stop is literally in front of the pension. It takes you 8-10 minutes to Prague Castle and 15 minutes to Old Prague. If you are coming back to pension late at night (after 12), there are night trams that you can take which will bring you to the pension, however it take a bit longer.
I would definitely stay at this place again and I would recommend it to everyone who is looking for a reasonably cheap and very clan place to stay in Prague with great service.
BTW, despite the other review, I had no problem with the bed and slept like a baby, I guess people have different tastes.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Squamish, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This is the third time we stayed in this penzion and we were always very satisfied with their level of service. Penzion has free secure car parking, free Wi Fi, bar opened all hours of the day. The tram stops in front of the Penzion which is great for transportation throughout the city.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicester
Reviewed December 11, 2009

This place has to be one of the best accomodations I've stayed in. I've travelled around Europe many times now, and stayed in one hostel too many, so my expectations were not high with another out-of-town small place. But from the word go, we were pleasantly surprised with everything in the Penzion Chaloupka. On arrival, we were told that there was a problem with the double room we had booked, so they upgraded us free of charge to the penthouse appartment! It was amazing with a kitchenette and a small lounge. I can't vouch for the regular rooms, but everything in our appartment was in great condition, and it was a really comfortable place to stay. In terms of transport, the hotel has private parking at the back, and the tram stop is literally across the road! Trams come by every 5 -10 minutes, so there is never any problem going to and from town. In addition, the hotel sells public transport tickets, as well as other things you may have forgotten, like a toothbrush or tissues. The breakfast was in the style that is commonplace throughout Europe, with a selection of cereals, cold-meats and bread, but in addition, they can cook quite a nice scrambled egg on request. The bar is entirely self-service, and accessible at any time. In addition, they also had free Wi-Fi if you asked for the passcode, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work with my iPhone. But the highlight of our stay here surely had to be the young guy who runs the place with his wife, who was so friendly and did everything he could to make our stay comfortable and nice during the entire time. His Czech English was pretty good standard, and quite endearing. If you don't want the impersonal, stiff nature of some commercial hotel like the Hilton, this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed November 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed here September 19th and 20th, 2008. It was close to public transport (outside the front door) and it had safe enclosed car parking.

The pension was very clean, quiet and included a buffet breakfast.... selections of cold meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, cereal, breads and tea and coffee. Accommodation was double bed with ensuite.

The young couple who managed it were very helpful and even provided tram tickets to the city - paid for at the end of your stay.

Only 2 problems.
1.The bed was so hard it felt like sleeping on a board.
2. At the end because we wanted to pay in euros and not the local currency we ended up paying more than we should have because we did not have the correct amount of euros. Most of the problem was the young lady taking our tariff had limited English and limited mathematical skills.There would have not have been a problem if we had the correct total in euros.