“Tolerable”

Discounts Prague Hotel
Ranked #481 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here because the price was right and, overall, it wasn't terrible. The staff seemed overly concerned with whether or not I was going to pay for things. They were willing to give me a metro ticket and map when they didn't have enough change, but told me four times the amount I would owe upon my return; when I did get back, I was immediately reminded that I owed the money (which amounted to about $5 U.S.) and was not offered my key until I did so. Even given a less service-oriented culture, some of the staff were overly rude. I was shoved (literally) out of the way of the coffee machine (which dispensed AWFUL AWFUL coffee which was mostly water) when I failed to operate it properly. Located in the sixth district, it took me about 15 minutes to get to the first - three tram stops, three metro stops. It was nice to stay in a more residential neighborhood, but besides the bar adjacent to the hostel, there is nothing within walking distance (i.e. a convenience store, etc.) and while the hostel has for sale a few food items (crisps/biscuits) and water/beer, it lacks a kitchen area and is for the most part less "homey" than many hostels, despite its residential location. Don't expect much from the staff in terms of getting advice/directions, but the rooms/facilities are reasonably clean and comfortable. I stayed downstairs/garden level/basement and could not access the wifi at all from my room. I was offered an "upgrade" to en suite facilities for about $15 U.S./night; the prefab shower/toilet room was less an than arms' width wide and I ended up soaking the entire "room" each time I tried to shower. All told, probably not worth the extra money. The stay wasn't all bad; the neighborhood is quiet and the publc transport in Prague is so efficient that it's really no bother to get around (beware of the STEEP three block hill to get to the tram though). For the price, it made sense to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Deena V

Reviewed February 26, 2012

It's the hotel for budget travelers. Everything is simple and plain: room, breakfast. In our room we had two beds with clean bed linens, chair, table and two stools. All of this is not new, but usable. Breakfast served on separate plate for each guest on the folding table in front of the each room. You can eat in your room or in the lobby. Beverages for breakfast (tea, coffee, orange juice) in the lobby. Shared bathroom on the floor. Some cabins can not be locked and burned out some light bulbs there...But for this price is quite acceptable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Booked this hotel because of low price, and was afraid. it seemed to be too far from the centre, too cheap to be ok (rooms, breakfast, etc.). Well, I was wrong: for the price they charged it is the best choice in Prague. First, it takes just 30 minutes to get to the centre (tram+metro). Second, it is very quiet place comparatively to others I used to stay in Prague. Third, rooms are big enough, free wifi (but only in a lobby), and sufficient breakfast. Disadvantages: shared bathroom. And no privacy - 2 showers together, the door could not be locked. The light did not work in WC.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This Bed and Breakfast is in a very quiet and safe residential neighborhood, about a 1/4 mile walk from the nearest tram stop. It is located west of the castle district and takes very little time to get to the center of town via tram and metro. The very plain room was adequate for travellers but is by no means a romantic type of accomodation . There were two twin beds with very thin mattresses. The bathroom facilities are separated by gender and are down the hall. No TV or refrig in the room. The continental breakfast consisted of milk, juice, cereal, along with a prepared platter of bread/rolls, cheeses, yogurt, and deli meats. Free parking. I'd stay there again, but I'm not overly difficult to please.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights. The room is very small, the bathroom is like the size of an aeroplane's. Taking a shower was horrible. The so-called "wide variety of buffet breakfast" was a major overstatement of just cereals, milk, orange juice etc. We ate out instead. It's located in an inconvenient place, especially dreadful to return to after a long day. The rooms weren't cleaned thru out the stay. Even after we have feedback to the staff who assured us that our room will be cleaned n made up, we returned to uncleared bins, towels which we placed on the bathroom floor to be changed were left where they were n we were without clean towels. Definitely 100% not recommended.

1  Thank Dianahplee
Reviewed August 24, 2009

we stayed with few friends in the Penzion Sprint for 3 nights.
It was the cheapest accommodation which I fond so I exepected some kind of the worse hostel but I was suprise by the good standart of rooms and their staff.
Every body was extremly friendly, the housekeeper cleaned our room every day.
Buffet breakfast cost 100 czk and it good enought for dont feel hungry half a day.
So we were satisfied with the accommodation, that is really good value for the money

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I stayed there for 8 nights in March-April 2009, choosing it because it was the only place where they kept a very favourable low-season rate even into April.
My feelings about it are somewhat mixed. The con´s:
1) They ONLY accept immediate cash payment, even though you have booked with a credit card on the internet. I had such a reservation for 8 nights and thought that I would
at least be able to check in upon my 8 hours of travel from Italy, promising to pay in the same afternoon. But I was immediately sent off to get the money and was not able
to have access to any room. It was suggested that I should take a tram to the centre, a rather complicated solution, and I wanted to walk to find one.
This resulted in bad advice about a cash machine nearby, hidden among anonymous buildings, impossible to find, and I ended up walking 1,5 Kms each way in disappointing industrial quarters.
I have worked for years in a hotel myself and I am not easily provoked, but this was simply not good attitude or customer service. With my CC registered and a stay of
8 nights, promising to pay within a few hours and no demand of having a key with me,
the chances that I was somehow trying to cheat them economically were zero.
2) Its location: it is in a residencial area with really nothing going on or worth studying.
There is an unattractive restaurant associated with the pension and a few shops to the left near the tennis courts down on the way to the Prague Castle (including a good bakery), and a boring area with blocks and a few supermarkets to the north, but this is at least 15 mins walk from the pension. The villas near the pension are of limited interest,
a few of them with a bit of Functionalist details. This means that you have to walk 25 mins to the Prague Castle or use public transport, taking 15mins.
The Castle area is an expensive and touristy area (beautiful of course), but after that comes the equally expensive and touristy area along the Nerudova street, so on foot you will have to walk 45mins to get to the central city area along the river, or use public transport, in order to experience normal Prague city life and shopping. The tram is 10mins away (nr.18).
3) The cleaning: my room was not cleaned at all for the last 4 days.
4) Breakfast: It cost 60 KCS extra. On the first morning, I saw only an unattractive version of it and did not have it, but a few days later it was much improved - considering the price - and I used for the rest of my stay. The place to eat it is very small.
5) The interior. My room was very simple, not pretty, but OK for the price.The bathrooms were clean, but they had these terrible, monumental pissoirs, complete with yellow pills - the first thing you see when you enter the toilet section, and the showers are only hidden behind curtains. Water was good and OK, though.
6) Payment II: They added a so-called "city tax" of CZK 20,- per night to my booking-indicated total price. But they did not specify it on the bill,and apparently my payment was thus simply sketchily increased to CZK 3000,-, maybe 100 CZK. This is not an acceptable way of establishing payments. I didn´t complain, though, due to occasional Kafkaesque feelings there ...

The pro´s :
1) The price was unbeatable, half of anything else
2) Some of the staff tried to offer good service. My clothes were washed
on request by the cleaning lady for 100 CZK. Language skills were OK
for most of them.
3) There was a free internet computer in the lobby
4) The later part of the breakfast, also served quite early.
5) Safety: you leave the key when going out, and the area is quiet and safe.

So: If you can get a substantially cheap price, you might consider staying
there. If a few Euros doesn´t matter, stay in a more charming and/or central area.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo