“Red light district!”

and 1 more site!
Hostel Bell
Ranked #464 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This hostel alone is pretty nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful when they were there. The rooms are very basic but not uncomfortable. There are only 2 bathrooms with a shower and toilet in each so if it's busy you'll have to wait. The major drawback is the neighborhood. You are right down the street from all the sketchy bars and loiterers. I would stay here again but I wouldn't feel comfortable going out at night.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank AB B

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hostel Bell was lovely and homely. The location is great, near the centre, but on a side street so not noisy. It is also up quite a few flights of stairs, which may be problematic for some, but my friends and I did not mind the climb. The building that the apartment is in is very nice.

The owner of the hostel was very friendly and welcoming, providing maps and advice on where to go for certain things. She also provided some handy translations. Nonetheless, she also gave us plenty of room and did not bother us one bit. One of the people who worked there was absolutely incredible, staying up very late through the night and into the early hours of the morning as our train kept getting further and further delayed in order to let us in.

The room was very cosy and there were plenty of amenities ready for our use.

Room Tip: My friends and I had the best room and we had travelled as a group of three- the other rooms did not...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank macaquecat
Reviewed May 10, 2013

It may not be fancy, but for backpackers who are "roughing it" on the road for weeks and months on end this place will feel like a paradise. It's as if you're staying in someone's home and you have free reign over the kitchen, computer, everything. The rooms are all spread out throughout the place so it's never overly cramped or anything, and you can make yourself a pot of coffee and sit down on the computer in the kitchen for a few hours comfortably before heading out to explore the sights. The hostel is a block away from one of the busiest shopping streets in the city, and a 15 minute walk away from the city center and all the main sights.The owner is really nice and obviously loves cats as she has plastered all the walls with all sorts of strange-yet-hilarious cat and animal photos. I've been here twice during my travels and the second time I went back to Prague just to stay at this hostel and I ended up staying 10 days! Highly recommended :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank FlowerGypsy85
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Hostel Bell is well located and priced very competitively. The accomodation was basic, but clean. Bathroom layout a bit strange but all working. Stayed in 4 bed room, plenty of room for suitcases. Free wifi a bonus and owner very sweet and welcoming. Be warned though, 3 flights of stairs and no lift so not one for those with heavy luggage!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed in a double room at the Hostel Bell in Prague for 4 nights during September 2012.

The main positive of the hostel and the primary reason for choosing it during your stay in Prague would be it's location. Based just a five minute walk from the buzzing Wenceslas square area of the city which comprises the majority of the major shopping, nightlife and eateries. The close proximity means that you are never far away from a lively area and even closer to the hostel are a number of small convenience stores selling basic food and drinks if you fancy a quick snack.
The location isn't completely perfect though as it is also on the same street as a number of red light bars (I personally didn't find them to be a problem). The main issue though is that when you turn onto the street where the hostel is based from Wenceslas square there are a number of African men at all times of day who stand around trying to lure men into the bars and I also heard them saying the standard "Hey baby" type calls to passing women. They didn't cause me any trouble but I can see how female travellers could feel threatened having to walk by them. As long as you ignore them and keep your valuables close you should be fine.

The hostel itself is very basic and from what i saw quite small in the number of rooms it had, which will either be a benefit or hindrance depending on what type of trip you are looking for. The hostel seemed quiet most of the time I was there which means you should be able to get a decent nights rest but don't come expecting a party every night.

The double room i stayed in had two twin beds pushed together and a desk. It was very small and there wasn't much space to move around in but it was generally quite clean. The door to all the rooms are sliding glass with a curtain you can pull across for privacy. I thought this was a little bit strange as the curtains don't completely cover the doorway.
The kitchen had a hob and a dishwasher and there is a small table in the centre. There was perhaps only two times whilst I was in there that there were others in at the same time, so it was never too cramped although I imagine it could be during high season.
The downstairs bathroom comprises a shower and a toilet which were fine and the shower always produced hot water. Although as with most hostels the other guests tended to leave their gels and soaps all over the place.
If like during my stay you have a group of girls putting their face on for half an hour in the bathroom then there is another toilet upstairs which strangely adjoins on to a single room. Which means you could be interrupted by the occupant at any time. Luckily this didn't happen to me on the few occasions I used it.

The girl who greeted me when I arrived at the hostel was friendly and helpful and stayed to let me in after i had notified her by text that my flight was going to be slightly late arriving into Prague. The desk, located in the kitchen has a number of leaflets of things to do whilst in Prague although a member of staff is only there in the morning and at night meaning you are pretty much left to yourself whilst at the hostel. Guests must lock the door when exiting and entering the property so you are also reliant on the other people staying in the accommodation to be sensible and ensure that they lock the property up and don't bring back anyone dodgy.

Overall my stay at the Hostel Bell was fine but nothing special. The location was the main selling point for me and in that respect I would use the hostel again if i were ever in Prague. Although I am sure with a little searching you could find much better and livelier hostels in the area for a not too different price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ainsleyb
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Very basic with a small, limited kitchen - you need a toaster!
Odd layout of bathrooms - unsure whether the ones upstairs for general use!
Strange staff hours - only saw a staff member on the morning we checked in and when we checked out.
The 3/4 bed private rooms were incredibly spacious and very comfortable.
Not sure if the bigger rooms have them but our room had no lockers.

Overall its a cheap bed in a good location. If you don't plan to spend much time in your accommodation, this is a good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank clazzastark
Reviewed May 22, 2012

When we arrived there was a note on the door saying to call and he would come asap. We had initially said we'd be there at 5pm but our train was early so we arrived about 4:15pm - no bother. When the man came, he took us up the three big flights of stairs to the forth floor - yep, luggage and all (worth considering if stairs are a problem for you as there are no lifts).

Hostel Bell itself seems to be someones big, old apartment. Set over two floors, the majority of everything you need, including the rooms, are on the forth (though internal stairs take you to the fifth). From what I could see there were two twin rooms, a dorm room (not sure how many it sleeps) and another room on the forth floor, with a couple of single rooms on the fifth. Each level has a bathroom/toilet although the one of the forth floor is combined and has to service everyone there, so although it didn't really get busy for us, it may do when there are several people staying. The kitchen is big and all works well - it includes a table with four chairs, desk and computer which is free to use - feels as though you're at home!

Our room overlooked the street (but wasn't noisy) - had double glazed windows which open right up to let the air in, a heater (though we didn't use it), was large in size, had two single beds, a clothes rack, desk and chair, as well as comfy chair and bedside table.

Worth also mentioning was that there is free wifi and the linen (and towels!!!) are provided - always helpful. There are no permanent staff though someone usually comes each mid-morning to attend to any queries, deal with check-ins/outs and clean.

Though our initial impression may have not been great thinking, oh, this is pretty basic, we quickly came to enjoy our time at Hostel Bell and would definitely consider staying again if we were to return to Prague.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple