“Nice Accommodations, great location and Delicious Breakfast”

Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel
Ranked #157 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Denver, Colorado, USA
“Nice Accommodations, great location and Delicious Breakfast”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel is a great hotel choice for couples, friends or business travelers. I would not recommend this hotel to families with younger children as it doesn't have a swimming pool or family friendly amenities.

The decor is modern and inviting. The service was good except that they told us we would have a coffee maker in the room and there wasn't one so we were given free coffee in the bar/lounge area. Also, we couldn't watch in room movies and the technicians could not figure out what was wrong with the tv. The staff were more than accommodating to help us with these issues.

The location was great. Close to nice restaurants and a short walk to all the major attractions in the Historic Center. The breakfast buffet was delicious! All kinds of cheeses, meats, fresh baked breads and pastries and eggs made to order. The price is quite steep but we received it free with our room rate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Sheraton_Prague, General Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the entire Tripadvisor community, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed you stay at our hotel, despite the few small set backs for which I truly apologize. If you decide to return to Prague in the future, I hope you will pick the Sheraton Prague again.

Andreas Heidingsfelder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Norway
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I recently spent three nights at this hotel attending a conference, Recommended. Frienddly and efficient staff, airy and clean rooms. Drawback: you have to pay for a not very fast internet connection in your room (whereas it is free in the lobby)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sheraton_Prague, General Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the fellow TripAdvisor travelers, as well as praising the professionalism of our staff. I hope you will choose our hotel again if you decide to return to Prague.

Kind regards,

Miramar, Florida
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The room size is better than avaerage for Europe. Upgraded rooms are VERY large. May take some negotiating to get the room you want, don't be staid to ask for a better room. 8th floor lookout has wonderful view Location is good, short walk to main square. Took us about 1/2 leisurely walk to castle area. Staff (outside of club room) were somewhat below average, my wife refused to ask the concierge any questions because they made her feel like she was bothering them. Club room staff was great (Karim very accommodating). The breakfast was lacking. The dinner was excellent. Beverages ( coffee, soda, beer and wine) available all day. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed August 2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Sheraton Prague Square is located in Praha 2 or new town but very close to the border of Praha 1 (Old Town). It is convenient and easy to get to and far enough away from crowds of Old Town. The rooms are modern and have the necessary amenities. Our room had a giant bathtub but narrow shower. It reminded me a lot of the design of the W Hotels in the Starwood Group.

First, the positives: the bed was comfortable, we received complimentary beer and Czech snacks (cheese, bread and sausages) upon our arrival. One of the concierge personnel was very nice. We had a nice afternoon tea in their cafe/bar area. Free internet in the lobby, although service is spotty at best. The reception was very accommodating.

Now the negatives: We did get internet in our room, but only one log in -- we had a computer and two iPhones, so it was a bit tricky.

One of the concierge staff was indifferent to us when we asked him a question about how to catch a certain bus. He gave us incorrect information thus sending us on a wild goose chase for transportation to our destination. We ended up missing two buses and got to our destination four hours late. We would have been better off not asking him.

They have a black Mercedes that picks you up at the airport for extra charge however for a local trip they charge 2 to 3 times what an average cab costs. That was not so bad, since the drivers speak English who can give great advice. The restaurant and bar are quite expensive, so we didn't eat there. Prague has amazing food, and we took advantage of it. We bought most of our coffees and bottles of water at a local market.

The most disappointing part of our stay was housekeeping. We were out all morning one morning and came back to the room well after lunch. Our room was not yet cleaned. I needed to rest because of an injury and called the front desk when we were going to dinner. A disgruntled housekeeper came to our room with a lot of attitude. She basically threw clean towels in the bathroom, made our bed haphazardly and left. She did not wash the dirty glasses, sweep the bathroom floor or clean the shower or bathtub. In fact, the housekeeping left much to be desired for our entire stay.

Sheraton Prague Charles Square is a nice hotel, not very charming and the lobby was dismal and not very clean. However, it is convenient and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to club level. You want the rooms at the BACK of the hotel, not the front entran...
1 Thank babymamapeanut
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank your for posting your review at TripAdvisor and thus sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to read you enjoyed our hotel's location, as well as the service of our Concierge. On the other hand I'm sorry to read about the less pleasant parts of your stay with us. I will certainly discuss all the points you raised with the respective Heads of Department at our regular meetings, and make sure they will not repeat in the future.

I hope we will be able to have you as our guest again should you decide to re-visit Prague in the future.

Paris
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed here for a week on business. Lovely hotel, I was given a duplex suite which was nice but honestly a little big for my needs. Nice though. Good staff, well located for town. One thing though that I found annoying was the taxi service. They have black Mercedes that sit outside. Prague taxis can often be a bit of a minefield in trying to maximise their fares. It's not that expensive but I mind the time you spend taking the long way round. The black cars are fixed cost and will generally get you there as quickly as possible. The problem is they will charge you different fares depending on which driver you have, as they are on a fixed fare they also want to drop you off not exactly at our destination to get you out the cab quickly. Simple word of advice then, even in the fancy taxis agree the fare up front before you drive off. Apart from that it's not a bad hotel.

Room Tip: Don't worry, the duplex suites are not much better than the normal rooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Location: A short walk to all attractions, but at night I wasn't sure the side-streets around the hotel (which you had to take to get anywhere) were safe, since they were nearly deserted.
Room: Spacious, but no free TV channels except news, and an in-room movie would set you back about $25 Canadian. The bathroom door stuck and I wasn't able to open it myself.
Service: Routinely rude. We missed breakfast on the first day of our stay and asked at reception where we might find a breakfast/lunch place (because the concierge wasn't at his desk). The receptionist said something vague about going left and we'd see a place, but when we set out we quickly realized this wouldn't be enough in the way of directions. We went back and asked for a map and a breakfast destination from a different receptionist, and she told us it was the concierge's job to make these recommendations, and that she would call him. We went and stood at the concierge's desk for about ten minutes while reception ignored us, then went back and asked the first receptionist if she could show us on the map where to find the breakfast place she'd recommended. She said it wasn't printed on the map, but we could show us where it was (of course it's not printed on the map! We're not stupid). Did we ever find it? No. All this for a place to eat breakfast.
Checking in/out: On both occasions, I was asked to pre-authorize or pay for the accomodation, in spiteof the fact that I had fully pre-paid, including tax, two weeks before our stay. Checking in, the night auditor first said they hadn't received a payment, then went to check and emerged with my bill and receipt of payment. He said his colleague had failed to make a note of the payment. On checking out, the receptionist asked me if I wanted to pay for my accomodation separately, or together with the extras. I had to say again that I had fully prepaid for accomodation. This sort of mistake should not happen twice. Either the hotel is not set up to properly process payments, or they want to make you pay twice. If you pre-pay, you had better remember this and be on the ball at check out, because they obviously won't be.
Facilities: There is nothing free to do at this hotel other than the gym. We thought we'd visit the hot tub but were informed that you have to reserve the "private jacuzzi" and pay 1000 Czech crowns, or $60 Canadian for about an hour. Who pays to use a hot tub? And who needs one for an hour? I thought this was really seedy.

2 Thank Bex W
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your sincere feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I'm very sorry to learn we were unable to deliver service which would completely satisfy your expectations. Please rest assured though that all the points you raised in your review will help us address the relevant areas of service and make the appropriate corrections. Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding regarding your payment, I will discuss this issue with the head of our Front Office department and make sure such things will not happen in the future.

As far as the wellness and spa facilities are concerned, our guests can enjoy free 24/7 access to our Sheraton Fitness and also complimentary access to the sauna (from 5pm until 11pm).

Once again I'm sorry we came short of meeting your expectations for your stay at the Sheraton Prague Hotel. If you would like, I'll be happy to discuss your stay further. To do so, just forward you contact details to our Guest Service department and I will get in touch with you.

Kind regards,

Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I like Starwood Hotels & Resorts and I've stayed in several of their properties including the 5 Star Sheraton's in Stockholm, Salzburg and Lisbon. Unfortunately the Sheraton Prague doesn't come close.

It's not in the prime locations of either the Old Town or the Castle District where you'll find the real 5 star hotels. Instead it's a renovated building in a rather tatty part of town. To give you some idea, immediately next to the Sheraton is a "non stop erotic" nightclub and further along the street you'll find sex shops and a tattoo parlour. That said, I never once felt intimidated or unsafe walking to and from the hotel.

Whilst the outside of the hotel is impressive I'm afraid the inside is less so. Ugly lighting and a rather drab reception area didn't convey the quality that I've come to expect from a Starwood Hotel. Check in was functional but nothing special.

Our first room was disappointing. We had requested a non smoking room but as soon as we opened the door the smell of stale smoke was evident. The room itself (a Club Room on the 2nd floor) felt austere with inadequate lighting, gloomy red lamp shades, no pictures on the bare walls, no bed throw as shown in the photos on the Sheraton website in fact nothing to suggest you were in a Sheraton apart from the large Sweet Sleeper Bed (which was very comfortable). The bathroom was well equipped and fitted out to a high standard although I believe some of the rooms only have a shower (no bath tub).

We had paid for a Club Room as the Sheraton website shows photographs of a luxurious and comfortable Club Lounge. It was therefore very disappointing to discover that the Club Lounge had been closed at the beginning of the year and relocated to a disused cafe on the ground floor. Not only is it dislocated from the 2nd floor Club Rooms but it's small and well, like a cafe! No lounge seating only cafe style tables and a rather limited selection of food and beverages. Breakfast consisted of cereals, yoghurts, pastries and a tiny selection of cheese and hams - no hot food, not even eggs.

Service in the Club Lounge was very hit and miss. Sometimes it was staffed other times it was not. A typed noticed invited guests to use the coffee machine behind the cafe counter suggesting it is largely unstaffed during the day. How very different to Club lounges I've experienced at other Sheratons. A notice on the door informed guests that a charge of 60 Euros a day would be made for access to the "Lounge". Thank goodness we had it included in our room rate otherwise we would have been very annoyed at being so misled about the Club facilities.

There is no pool at the Sheraton Prague and no outside space. There is a roof terrace but it's an unused area with no bar, seating or service and anyway the view is spoilt by the presence of air conditioning equipment and service pipes.

In summary, if you're looking for a 3 Star hotel in Prague then your expectations would probably be exceeded. If you're looking for a 4 Star hotel then they might just be met. However if you are expecting a 5 Star experience then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with the Sheraton Prague. It's the only Starwood Hotel I've ever stayed in to which I wouldn't choose to return.

Room Tip: Club Rooms and Club Lounge disappointing.
2 Thank Relay
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your loaylty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts and for staying at the Sheraton Prague Hotel. I am very sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your experience at our hotel. Given the historical nature of our building, the organization of our rooms indeed vary, however as far as the features of our rooms are concerned, we did our best to adhere to the 5-star standard one would expect from a Sheraton hotel. Just for your information, the missing bed throw is due to the new "all white design", which was implemented at all Sheraton hotels at the beginning of the year. We will do our best to update any photography used at our website to reflect this change.

As far as the Club Rooms and our Club Lounge is concerned, please accept my sincere apologies for the misleading photography at one of our website. It must have been due to an unfortunate misunderstanding that our Sheraton website was not updated at the time of move of our Club Lounge. I've already ordered the responsible people at our hotel to correct the situation immediately.

Once again I am very sorry we didn't manage to meet your expectations. Should you wish to discuss any aspects of your stay further, please don't hesitate to forward your contact details through our Guest Service department, and I will be more than happy to contact you personally.

I certainly hope you will remain a loyal Starwood customer and eventually re-visit the Sheraton Prague Hotel to give us a chance to reassure you of our 5-star standards. In the mean time, I wish you safe travels.