TripAdvisor
Prague
Post
Inbox
Search

“This is the first time I’ve written a review without actually eating”
Review of Grand Cafe Orient

Grand Cafe Orient
Ranked #95 of 197 Dessert in Prague
Cuisines: Eastern European, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My guide book suggested stopping here for lunch so as we were walking along Celetna Street we thought we would pop in. Having admired the beautiful cubist exterior we noticed a small balcony above us n thought we would try n secure a table up there.

Having walked up the internal stairs into the second floor restaurant we checked with a waiter if we could sit outside. He merely nodded his head. We went outside n sat waiting for a menu. 10 minutes later no waiting staff had appeared so I ventured back inside to ask for a menu. A tall gentleman was standing around doing nothing so I asked him for some menus which he duly gave me. We selected our lunch n waited n waited. I glanced inside again n the same waiter was once again standing around so at that point we up n left.
Nonchalance in the extreme. I seriously wouldn’t bother giving them your hard earned tourist money!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Amazing building, fabulous breakfast (try the orange and lemon crepe)...and staff were friendly, efficient and courteous. We’ll be back!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had coffee and deserts, recommended by the Tour Guide ( on youtube) . The desserts were really nice and staff really friendly

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Seeing the curious cubist exterior, it may be tempting to pop in for a coffee, cocktail or some food. I would personally not recommend this.

Asked for some tap water while we decide on food, waiters placed a pitcher of water on our table with a wedge of lemon in it, and then never returned. 25 minutes leaving us with our lemony water.

Was about to leave out of boredom when it transpired that this tap water comes at a cost of a pint of beer. Tip not included. Don’t worry sirs, tip not paid.

Reviewed September 15, 2019

Stopped off for a quick lunch at this cafe/restaurant in Prague.. this is my tuna baguette. It was dry and tasteless and had very little tuna. Staff couldn’t really be bothered ( more interested in her phone). Wasn’t even cheap!
What I found strange though was that the rest rooms were upstairs in the actual restaurant area and the access was central to the ( recently refurbished) dining area.. I wouldn’t be very happy eating my meal so close to the toilets with people in and out and door opening and closing.
Central to the shopping area though and we did get to do some people watching

Date of visit: August 2019