“Michelin star? Very disappointing”

La Degustation Boheme Bourgeoise
Ranked #109 of 5,762 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Before I start let me say I am not a heathen as far as food is concerned and one of those "things you want to do before you die " for me is to eat in a Michelin star restaurant in every place I visit. I havent done badly so far and all have been amazing experiences in different ways. I also always choose the chefs tasting menu with Matching wines. I was very excited about going to Le Degustation. The evening got off to a good start with several amuse Bouche that were very nice. Then came the first course, snails... I managed to eat 2, but couldnt bear to eat the last one! Personal taste you could say, so let's carry on. The cavier was ok, the leek, pear and parsley was tasteless , the chicken was like something you would get from a mass catering function. I tried desperately to stay positive that out of 12 courses there would be something fabulous to make it all worth while. Unfortunately not and I haven't mentioned the Sommelier or the wine pairing have I ? No, well there was no passion or enthusiasm for the wine and I think it makes alot of difference, half of the enjoyment is listening to the Sommelier imparting his knowledge. The service was good (despite receiving the chicken course twice!if I had liked it , I might have eaten it again !
Sorry to leave such a poor review but I am so disapointed. £500 worth of disapontment! Never mind, it eont put me off my quest. I went to Kampa Park by the way and that was fabulous.

4  Thank Sallyanne H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This reminds me of the story of the Kings New Clothes.
I think a lot of people think it must be good because of the price they pay, when in fact it is in my view not so good.
We arrived and were impressed upon arrival nice welcome fair seats .Menus arrive in two different envelopes, I thought it was perhaps because as in some upmarket restaurants the ladies menu has no price on it,
In fact there was no reason other than show.
To the meal a serving meal in 7 parts, with some small extras ?. All in all there was very little wrong with the food but it was definitely not up there with the best. Not a lot of taste and extremely small servings. True to say the chefs work very hard serving up the food but in the end things like a plastic straw full of a honey based mixture or a stone block with a very small pallet cleanser on it not good.
Now the menu proper.

lužické hory snails, pumpkin, garlic COULD NOT ANYTHING BUT GARLIC

leek, pear, parsley VERY GOOD

třeboň pikeperch, moravian sparkling wine, cabbage VERY GOOD

štěpánovsko chicken, rosehip sauce, corn SMALL BUT GOOD

ratibořice rabbit, beetroot, cauliflowe OK

Wheat beer - Matuška Microbrewery - Matuška BAD

We were offered the cheese A BIT LIKE A SWIPE OF PHILIDAPHA ON A PLATE

All in all a very expensive meal with very little substance at a ridicules price for Prague.

I really wanted to say this was a great place but it all show.

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Impeccable and timely service. Incredible care in the preparation and presentation of the food (that you can see cause the kitchen is open for us to see). They match the food with great wines - all of them new discoveries for me. This was the best restaurant experience I ever had, and I've tried many great restaurants in my life.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We recently had dinner at La Degustation, largely on the basis of so many unanimously glowing reviews (not just from Tripadvisor, but from the New York Times, Time Magazine and elsewhere).

With regard to the cuisine, I think you really have to be a gourmet to appreciate the food, since if you are just looking for a really good meal, there are other excellent restaurants in Prague that offer excellent food for a much better price. However, if you do appreciate the creativity of a talented chef, attention to detail and pretty much faultless execution (and I do appreciate these things), then La Degustation does an a very good job. In short, the kitchen does an admirable job of food meets art, and did not disappoint in this regard.

With regard to the service, it was okay, but not great. Everyone was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and had a good attitude. However, perhaps because it was a Saturday night, once they got busy, they tended to forget about us more than a restaurant of that quality should.

What really left a (figurative) bad taste in our mouths, however, was the wine pairing. I very much appreciate a good food-wine pairing, and appreciate the wine as much as the food. However, the sommelier was so miserly with the wine that I really struggled to appreciate the two together. His pours were often what should have been offered as a tasting to see if the wine is acceptable, with nothing more. For several of the dishes I had to ask him for an additional pour, and it got to the point where I got embarrassed doing so. I am not a big drinker by any means, and certainly do not expect (nor would I want) a full pour with every course. But at the same time, guests should not feel that they are begging for more. This only bothered me some at first, until we tried a couple of other restaurants in Prague where we had wine pairings (also with excellent food, and for a much smaller bill), and the sommelier made sure that we had enough to enjoy our meal (as he should). And frankly, the pairing is not cheap, yet is composed mostly of Czech wines, which I can't imagine are terribly expensive (and even if they were, then they should have adjusted their pricing accordingly, and not deprived their guests).

Although this didn't exactly ruin the evening (we did otherwise enjoy it), it could have been much more enjoyable. A restaurant of this quality (and price) should not let these kinds of things happen.

2  Thank WilMiRe
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

If you are not adventurous with food, this is not the place for you. Every plate was reasonably sized and a complete delicacy! I would recommend this to anyone willing to pay extra for an experience of a lifetime.