“Wish I'd known the Czech for 'Shameless Rip Off'”

Velkoprevorsky Mlyn
Ranked #881 of 5,698 Restaurants in Prague
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Like so many of my fellow reviewers, my friend and I were enticed to this restaurant by the cozy look of the place and the enchanting location; right next to the water mill on Kampa Island.
We each ordered a small beer and a piece of strudel; the bill came to over £20.
The brazen waitress (who had been less than helpful) was all smiles as she pointed out: ‘Tip not included’. My tip was not the sort she expected: ‘My advice would be not to rip people off, may as well have stolen the money from my bag.’ Her angry response ‘what is this ‘rip them off?’. So badly wished I knew how to explain it.
Prague is a beautiful city with some wonderful places to eat and drink but this establishment is run by money hungry jokers, not to mention the beer was warm and the strudel tasted like it had been cut with a knife also used for carving meat.
Never ever go here. The experienced played on my mind for the duration of our break and after.

2  Thank Bec_Foster

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We walked by this place a number of times and it looks cozy and fun, especially given it's location along the canal on Kampa island. There's fur lined seating and a number of other guests when we stopped in, so figured it could be a relaxing spot for snacks and drinks. First of all, they charge 90 krona for a half liter of Staropramen! The most I've seen one in town before today was 45 krona, so this is double. They charged 100 krona for my kids to have hot chocolate!!! The service is horrendous and the people just seem generally miserable. Don't be fooled like we were, avoid going here at all cost!

1  Thank Morgan S
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have just returned from our visit to Prague having visited many lovely and cheap eateries and drinking places. This was by far the worst of them all.

We are usually very prudent when eating abroad. We do our research and find the best places. Having walked around the mill earlier in the day, we spotted the restaurant with it's heated outdoor section and immediately thought it would be a great romantic spot - not thinking that we even needed to read the reviews as it looked so nice.

When we arrived we asked if it was warm in the outdoor section and the waitress said "no". There was one heater on but there were about 7 or 8 in the whole section. Another couple were in the restaurant and they were sitting with their coats on!! So not a great start...

We asked to sit inside and we were the only people there so ordered drinks. They took ages to arrive and they even came after the starter we had ordered. In the meantime the waitress also gave us bread which we didn't eat.

Everything was just ok until we got the bill. It came before our plates had even properly been cleared away, along with a calculator automatically adding 20% service charge. This on top of the 50 koruna charge per person for the bread which ended up, for 4 of us, being £7! There was then another charge for 150 for chips which we didn't get and another for dumplings for the goulash we ordered (which appeared to be included in the menu)

The attitude of the people here is complete rip off nature. We didn't leave a TIP and the waitress recounted the money several times before just asking "TIP?"...

In the end I think it cost us £100 in total. We then ate somewhere the night after which was just fantastic at 1/2 the price.... we even went to a beer hall in the old town and the food looked great... plenty more to pick from so avoid this one at all costs!

1  Thank Cliff T
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent 4 days in Praha. So many good restaurants we seen: typicall, international...
But this one is very expensive: 820 cz for 1soup and gniocchis. 1small beer, 1 tea and 2 coffees !
And very light portions...
Tip is not included for this price. Additionaly the lady presented a calculator with 20% tips...
So 900 cz for a meal for one dish !...

1  Thank Jerome B
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We saw this restaurant earlier and we were really excited about visiting this place because it looked so romantic and pleasant. The reality was something really different. As soon as we entered the restaurant the waiter told us, we need to order a dinner because it's dinner time and they have "only" 9 tables. Our plan was just some boiled wine because we had some meal a few hours ago but ok, after the walk to our romantic restaurant, we could have something small... So we ordered boiled wine and goulash soup in bread. After few minutes the waitress came with boiled wine. The wine was awful! It tasted like some synthetic syrup... And "only" for 90 kč/one! That was the worst and the most expensive boiled wine I've ever had. Then, the goulash soup. I had this soup many times, especially in Prague, but for 140kč it was something terrible. The bread was like from freezer. In the soup were some half boiled potatoes and minced meat. Disgusting. After all this our good mood was gone so we called the waiteress for bill. The waitress came with bill and there were 2 prices. The first was the price for meal & drinks. The second was with tip. I think, it's on the guest how big the tip will be. Don't you think so? It should be about 10% of the total amount as I think. NO! In this restaurant they have their own rules and they came with a calculator and make you their own price with their 20% tip. That was the last hit, after that one I decided to write this review. Be aware of this restaurant. It is the worst restaurant in the whole city.

3  Thank skyblik