“Worst experience in Prague”

Velkoprevorsky Mlyn
Ranked #1,258 of 5,424 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
“Worst experience in Prague”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We saw this restaurant earlier and we were really excited about visiting this place because it looked so romantic and pleasant. The reality was something really different. As soon as we entered the restaurant the waiter told us, we need to order a dinner because it's dinner time and they have "only" 9 tables. Our plan was just some boiled wine because we had some meal a few hours ago but ok, after the walk to our romantic restaurant, we could have something small... So we ordered boiled wine and goulash soup in bread. After few minutes the waitress came with boiled wine. The wine was awful! It tasted like some synthetic syrup... And "only" for 90 kč/one! That was the worst and the most expensive boiled wine I've ever had. Then, the goulash soup. I had this soup many times, especially in Prague, but for 140kč it was something terrible. The bread was like from freezer. In the soup were some half boiled potatoes and minced meat. Disgusting. After all this our good mood was gone so we called the waiteress for bill. The waitress came with bill and there were 2 prices. The first was the price for meal & drinks. The second was with tip. I think, it's on the guest how big the tip will be. Don't you think so? It should be about 10% of the total amount as I think. NO! In this restaurant they have their own rules and they came with a calculator and make you their own price with their 20% tip. That was the last hit, after that one I decided to write this review. Be aware of this restaurant. It is the worst restaurant in the whole city.

3 Thank skyblik

• Slovak first
Athens, Greece
“A tourist trap!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I wanted to share with your readers our very bad experience in this restaurant.I wish I had read all the previous bad comments earlier.It's all true,it's a disgrace for Prague and I think that some local / city authority should close down this tourist trap.
It is not just overpriced when it comes to the bill..It is a matter of bad attitude,bad manners and cheating!
We paid more than 70 euros for 3 beers,1 ceasar salad,1 sausage plate and a bad ,small pork skewer.I had an argument with the waitress and a guy who said he was in charge but I only got back a small part of the tip.Incidents like that can spoil one's stay in Prague.
Very dissapointing!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank iliasv
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WARNING ....STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I really wish I had read the former reviews of this restaurant before I threw away my money!
My friend and I had noticed the beautiful setting of the restaurant the day before whilst exploring the city.
So the very next day we purposely went back for lunch. BIG MISTAKE!!!
We had the rudest waitress who couldn't care less. We chose our food from a picture menu which definitely does not match the food delivered to the table and then when you get the bill!!!!!! As everyone else in this review we were stung with the added on extras and 20% service charge. My friend queried the bill and the added extras and was laughed at when she said it was the worst service ever! We are still waiting for the water we asked for 3 times.
Not only terrible food and service but the most expensive food in Prague. We could have had a two course meal in the Four Seasons FOR LESS!!!
STAY AWAY.

1 Thank Natalia S
Sydney, Australia
“ask before accepting anything or consuming anything”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Food was average. Waiter brought out usual basket of condiments ie salt, pepper, olive oil, tomato sauce etc. Then brought out stand with preztels. When we ordered our main course, he asked us what we wanted as side dish, giving us the impression we had a choice. When the bill arrived, we were charged for the condiments, yes, salt and pepper! Also charged for the pretzels even though we didn't order them and didn't eat it. Also charged for the bread even though we didnt order it. Was also charged cover charge per person, and they expected us to pay between 10 to 20% tip. Before accepting or consuming anything here ask if they are charging for it so you know where you stand. Left a bad taste, though we were able to warn other potential diners about it.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank LaraTuscany
York, United Kingdom
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were impressed by the outside of this restaurant when we passed it on the walking tour and returned the next day for lunch.What a huge disappointment. Poor food, rude staff and charges added to the bill without your knowledge. There were only 4 people there having lunch, all of whom complained when their bills arrived. There are pretzels already on the table when you sit down (having been a resting place for various flies no doubt) and if you eat these pretzels you are charged for them. 2 American guys complained that they assumed these were free as they were not requested and they also disputed the charge for bread of 50CZK EACH, again which they didn't ask for. They complained very politely, the waitress was extremely rude and told them they should have gone to McDonalds and actually followed them out of the restaurant shouting at them. Our food was very mediocre, fries and camembert fried in old oil which left a nasty aftertaste. When our bill arrived we didn't dispute the 100CZK for bread but we asked what the extra 50CZK was on the bill and we were told it was for the fries which accompanied my husband's breaded chicken. The waitress was extremely rude and didn't offer to give us our change when we paid for the meal, they assume you will give them a large tip and do in fact give you a calculator with your bill with the amount already added on even though it is suppsed to be a discretionary charge. The setting is lovely but this was a very poor and extremely expensive meal. There are some lovely restaurants in Prague, this is most certainly not one of them and is nothing but a rip off.

• Visited July 2012