“Cozy Afternoon Tea”

Dobra Cajovna
Ranked #495 of 5,702 Restaurants in Prague
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Description: Dobra cajovna located in the lower part of Wenceslas Square, was opened on July 1st, 1993. Even in the post-revolutionary times, it managed to attract attention. Before then, tea rooms were not as popular. Make sure you visit this unique place, where you can choose from the tearoom's extensive selection of teas and snacks from traditional tea producing countries all around the world. Local staff - the devoteas - are schooled and trained in their knowledge of tea and various methods of it's preparation.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I keep getting dragged to these quirky tea places wherever we visit by my wife. I always groan at first but have a great experience every time. Having read about this place, my wife had her mind(and heart) set on going there in our short 2-day prague visit. Tucked away off the Wenceslas square, we first noticed it when we did the end-to-end walk of the square. A small board hangs outside this place and it is quite easy to miss if you are not paying attention.
A small nondescript passage leads to a courtyard which is basically a mockery of the hustle and bustle of the square you stepped away from. The inside is dark,comfortable and quiet. To be honest I entered a little uncertainly wondering if this was going to be a high-concept you-better-know-your-tea type place. The ambiance is cliched but attractive nevertheless - oriental rugs, paintings and photos focusing on tea regions and random artifacts that seem to suggest 'exotic'. We entered an inner room where there were a few others sitting on different tables reading or working on a laptop. Once we settled in and exchanged what we thought of the place in whispers (it seemed too calm for us to disturb it with our normal voice), we opened the menu.
It is huge! After spending atleast 15 minutes going through countless tea types, both of us finally decided. I decided to try a mint-flavored tea (desert something - i forget the name) and my wife ordered one of the Indian teas. We 'summoned' the waiter with the ring of the little metal bell we were given along with the menu and ordered. The tea was brought in a little earthen pot with small earthen cups to pour and drink it out of. Neither of us really 'know' much about tea but I did love the flavors in mine which was bolder, sweeter and mintier. My wife's was more subtle and she enjoyed it as subtly :). We stayed for about 45 minutes and did not order food. In fact, we enjoyed the experience so much that we were wishing we had more time to spend at the place but we had a train to catch and had to leave. Will definitely visit it the next time we are in Prague!

3  Thank Tachy0n

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Really cozy teahouse with good atmosphere, even with a scent of somethingmystic. Definetly a place where to have good talks and wide variety of teas. Also their snack menu seemed interesting and i will try something next time.

The service was very professional. The way they pour and prepare the tea is smooth and artistic. Also they are relaxed and will provide their knowledge about tea if you ask.

I will go again for sure and take my lovely lady, friends and family along.

Thank you!

1  Thank NikiVinogradoff
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Cozy, quaint and tucked away, this little tea room reminded of days gone when conversation, revolution, reading, writing, and tea were all too significant. Step back into time.
We loved this place!

2  Thank Kusum K
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A cosy place right in the centre though away from the hub of the city. Quaint atmosphere, excellent tea. Perfect for a chat with friends. Location - off Wenceslas Sq. in an old yard with historic glass covered balconies - honestly they are quite old and could do with a little bit of paint. But it does not spoil the atmosphere of tranquility, on the contrary it adds to it.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Extremely cozy tea house with very helpful, nice and knowledgeable staff. Hidden away in an alley by Vaclav place. Extra thanks to the guy with the ponytail who helped me pick my tea!

1  Thank Johan S