“Great Hostel in Prague”
Review of Hostel Downtown

Hostel Downtown
Ranked #5 of 672 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I have been traveling on my own through Europe and in Prague, I found Hostel Downtown. I chose this place because of other reviews and was very pleased. In other hostels, I felt alone and distant from other travelers and staff. Here I was welcomed and invited in to several activities. There is a guy, Kristian, who is like your own personal cruise director. The first night here we had a Czech cooking lesson and many of the guests started talking and interacting instead of just ghosting around each other. I had so much fun, I decided to stay another night. When I return to Prague, and I know I will, I want to stay here. I stayed 4 nights and every day has been highly enjoyable. The place is very clean, the breakfasts are very good. All the staff have been helpful in answering questions and giving me directions. I highly recommend this place for its location, rooms, staff and especially for having the sense to employ a program manager who creates the environment that makes this a fun place to stay.

Room Tip: Get there early if you can to grab a lower bunk or single bed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostel Downtown

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I found it quite a safe place to stay, lockers/padlocks available, the staff were really helpfull going out of their way if they could. Kristian was a really good guide a typical "clown" just keeping everyone entertained and interested, really good fun. The large kitchen/lounge was a great place to meet people, the free tours/activities that Kristian ran meant that you could always make new friends. Everything was close walking distance really and the free maps helped too.I would go back again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2012

A family tour to a new big town is always exciting because of the unknown. Very important is therefore the base camp, in this case Hostel Downtown. From the first moment on we felt very welcome and cared for. The reception by Jana was friendly, helpful and competent and the same applied to her colleagues which we encountered later during our stay. A nice touch was that on our third and last day the lady who was preparing omlettes or sausages decorated a smiley on the plate of our son (19) with ketchup and a little mustard. The room was clean and inviting and would have been spacious even if we would have been five - the maximum number for that room - instead of four. It was one of the best rooms that we had in a hostel so far. The hostel is located near many many useful facilities that provide the essentials for survival of a family over the day - a supermarket, a baker, a kebab shop which also sells pizza etc. All in all everything added up to a wonderful visit of Prague, the lively and stylish town, the fantastic weather and certainly the hostel as a place where we felt very well accommodated. We all can imagine to come back to Praha someday and our first choice for our base will then be Hostel Downtown. Thank you very much!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I spotted this place while looking for accommodation for me and three friends for a long weekend in Prague and went for it on the basis of the good reviews, we definately weren't disappointed, we had a 4 bed room with private bathroom and windows into the courtyard not the street (which is pretty busy). It was hot when we went (in July) so the windows were open most of the time and noise wasn't a problem, we got the odd few people rolling in in the small hours but what else do you expect? Kristian was lovely and so welcoming, we went on one of the pub crawls with the hostel which joined up with a pub crawl company, we had a few drinks but weren't really up for necking shots and getting wasted, which Kristian picked up on, and as he had a cold he offered to take us to a nearby bar for some more drinks and a bit more of a chilled atmosphere, it was gorgeous, beautiful courtyard and we all had beers and swapped a bit of Czech and English between us.

The hostel is a bit of a walk to any of the attractions, but Wenceslas is about 5/10 mins walk straight down Narodni, then you've got all the shops, and the bridge over to Kampa and Mala Strana is 5 mins the other way. We used the lockers on our last day which was great, and hung out in the kitchen one night, but we mostly ate out. Would definately recommend!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This hostel is average, and I'd stay again. The kitchen is huge and so is the lounge. It was great for talking to and meeting other people. Free use of computers/wifi. Lockers available. There were ten beds in my room. They'll hold your luggage after you check out. It's not exactly near anything, but all the sights are within ten minutes walking distance anyway. It was a nice place. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. Im usually not one for hostels but this was an excellent place to stay and socialise. The location was great, very central and the facilities were great. A friendly team of staff who were readily available to help out. I have to make special mention of Kristian-the events co-ordinator- this guy made my stay at the hostel even better. He organises different activities every day/night which allows you to easily socialise with and meet other travellers. He has endless amounts of energy and knows his city really well and it is really exciting to see someone so proud and educated on their city. Kristian is a legend. Internet is free of charge at downtown and breakfast is cheap and will keep you going for a while. I would recomment this place to everyone looking for good value and good fun in Prague.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I had a very good time in this hostel. It is probably one of the cleanest youth hostel I will ever see in my life. Every member of the staff was smiling and helpful. I enjoyed to prepare traditional meals with Kristian and other people staying at the hostel.

The building is located near of tram and metro stations, grocery store, pharmacy, etc.

I would recommend this hostel without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends